Cleaning Raw Water Strainers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 38'
Recent insurance survey required that the raw water intake hoses be replaced. Since they are now removed, I thought it's be a good opportunity to clean the Perko strainers. Is there a easy way to remove the green corrosion from the Bronze casting, or is it best to leave it as some say that it's the natural protection?

I've always left it unless it was really, really bad, in which case I used a wire brush -- and fixed whatever was causing it to get so bad. That's normally been a sign it is more wet than it should be.

If you clean it off it will just come back. Unless it is very thick and scaling I would leave it alone.

One of our yard trips I removed all the strainers and rebuilt them. I took the parts to a bead blaster and clean them down to shinny metal. I then washed them in soap and water and wiped them down with acetone. Once cleaned and wiped down I sprayed them with several coats of clear paint. Still looks good to this day.

I too bead blasted mine, sprayed and within a few years the green was back. Not as bad.
Any imperfection in the coating will allow the green to restart.
I won't bother again since I no longer have access to a blaster.

Clean of any heavy stuff with a brass or better, SS brush. Then ensure there are no leaks from the sight glass or bowl , the cap or any hose attachments and the green will be a lot slower to develop.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom