Old 03-09-2020, 10:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Sarasota
Check Valve for Raw Water Hose Jabsco Head

Hello

I am replacing the raw water hose for my Jabsco Head and I noticed the old line seems to have what looks like a check valve in it. The valve in the picture has an arrow showing water flow direction. I couldn't find much online about it so I wasn't sure if the new line needs a check valve or not?

Thanks in advance for any guidance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	checkvalve.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	100233  

flboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:50 AM   #2
Guru

City: Clearwater, FL
Vessel Name: Seas the Bay
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Hardin Europa
That "non-return valve", a.k.a. "one way valve" or "backflow preventer" is something some people put in to help a toilet keep its prime. In my thinking, it is most useful for trailerable boats, boats in high-low slips, and those that otherwise get hauled frequently, etc.

It can also be useful for faster or planing boats when the raw water intake is located forward. But, well, I'd recommend against such a location.

Personally, I think it is just one more thing to break, so unless the the boat was out of the water a lot, or the type of boat and installation called for one...I wouldn't put it in.

Having said that, if "something ain't broke, (I) don't fix it". So, if a prior owner did something many years ago, and it has worked for many years, I don't rethink it -- I just replace it as it was.

gkesden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:06 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
I have s friend with a sport cruiser that started losing prime on his head considered addingva check valve. After replacing the impeller his problems were gone. With a good sealing impeller mostninstallations are fine w/o the valves and if the problem starts after working OK I'd replace the impeller before doing any more.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: CHITON
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 30
I recently found one of those in my fuel system. It is what kept fuel in most of the system when I mistakenly left my diesel heater on when changing my secondary fuel filters (in another post here re: "dumb mistake"). So they can serve a purpose. They can also stick closed if not used frequently.

I just went through a reworking on the hydronic heat in my house because a one-way valve stuck. I turned the heat completely off for the summer. The one-way valve was therefore closed for months and got stuck. After some costly and time consuming work I smacked it with a little hammer and all started working. I then replaced it with a new one.

I would think that if your head is plumbed with potable water you would want a one-way valve in the system. Might keep exotic flavors out of your coffee.