Capacity of your holding tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just got caught up on this thread and I am CRACKING up. :rofl:

We are in Mark's camp on this, maybe because we came from sailing and manual flush heads that clog if you look at them funny. Despite having electric heads that macerate everything, we toss the TP in the trash. And there is a brush handy.

Shortly after we got the boat, we had some guests aboard, including my young neice (8 or 9 yo) who has grown up sailing. She disappeared for awhile and I thought I'd better make sure she was still on the boat. Found her coming out of the head. She had made a deposit that included the biggest mound of TP I had ever seen. It may have been the entire roll. :facepalm: I was glad she could not figure out how to flush!! At that time we still had the original 26 year old heads and I am not sure they could have processed all that!! I was surprised her dad had not taught her to throw away the TP... :lol:

I think the thread started out as being about holding tank capacity??? :nonono:

Is that why you took all the doors off your heads so none of your guests would do that again? It sure worked for me!

............. we toss the TP in the trash. And there is a brush handy. .....................

Rest assured, with proper toilet paper, you do not have to put used toilet paper in the trash. It will flush and decompose in the holding tank.

I do have small zip lock bags and brown paper bags for the rare occasions where females who might be disposing of sanitary products are on board. I have my wife explain it to them.

Here is the solution:
I spent a good bit of time in the Sudan, out in the country the toilets are "squatters" they are kind of of like the bowl of a toilet but with the rim and foot pads at floor level, instead of toilet paper a jug of water, use your left hand please. They never had to worry about TP clogs. That was for the high class folks, the general populace just squat on the ground and if they dont carry water, they just clean their hand on the dirt, after.
Steve W

After you de-skid, do you clean the brush?

Years ago I shared a flat with a girl who in worked in supply for the Dept of Defence. She was not the 'sharpest knife in the block'.

One day she came home and told the assembled flat mates she had mistakenly over ordered loo paper for a small army base of 130 personnel. The normal order was 1,000 rolls, somehow she managed to add two zeros to the order.

Apparently the guy in charge of the base rang up and asked what he was supposed to do with the five semi trailers full of TP that were sitting outside the base.

We all thought this was hilarious and I remember we sat down with a few beers to work out how long that would last.About 12 years springs to mind. Our intrepid flatmate moved on soon after.

Last edited:
FlyWright said:
Is that why you took all the doors off your heads so none of your guests would do that again? It sure worked for me!

Lol that was just the door on the spare head that we don't use!!! To provide cross ventilation during our week anchored out in July. It's back on now. :). But it did keep visitors from using the head that week. More holding tank capacity for us!!!! That might be related to the original topic of this thread???

Lol that was just the door on the spare head that we don't use!!! To provide cross ventilation during our week anchored out in July. It's back on now. :). But it did keep visitors from using the head that week. More holding tank capacity for us!!!! That might be related to the original topic of this thread???

It's my thread, so let's continue. So, if your passengers avoided your open-door head, I'm curious where they "did it"? Or was it out of sight, out of mind?

markpierce said:
It's my thread, so let's continue. So, if your passengers avoided your open-door head, I'm curious where they "did it"? Or was it out of sight, out of mind?

We didn't HAVE any passengers. :) just the occasional brief visitor who had their own holding tank to fill. Like Al for example. I didn't realize you started this thread. Lol.

Outstanding!

Holding tank capacity----- 40 gallon tank in the bilge between the inboard engine stringers for the forward head, 25 gallon tank in the lazarette for the aft head.

We didn't HAVE any passengers. :) just the occasional brief visitor who had their own holding tank to fill. Like Al for example. I didn't realize you started this thread. Lol.

If I had known you had a door on the aft head, my stay might not have been so 'brief'.:D

Paper, one or two ply, household, RV, used one side or both, originally colored or not (we color it during use) has never been a problem for my macerator...it's the 'wipes' that clog up my pipes.

Attachments

• IMAG1862.jpg
    IMAG1862.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 155
jeffnick said:
Paper, one or two ply, household, RV, used one side or both, originally colored or not (we color it during use) has never been a problem for my macerator...it's the 'wipes' that clog up my pipes.

Love the sign.

Back
Top Bottom