Californian 42 Pump Out Deck Fitting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

db2

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Wiggle Room
Vessel Make
Spendrift 58
I would like to install a flush deck pump out fitting on the deck just outside the door on the starboard side. I started by drilling a 1/4" pilot hole up through the floor from the engine room. The bit went all the way through the floor but did not emerge on the deck outside the door. Closer inspection reveals that there is a 10" void between the floor and the deck. There does not appear to be an easy way to get into this void. I guess I could cut a largish hole on the floor so that the pump out hose could be passed up through the hole to connect to the deck fitting. What have others done?

Thanks,

Dan

How about this:

Use a long bit (12 inches) to drill the pilot hole up from the bottom to ensure both top and bottom holes will be aligned. Then use a hole saw to cut out top and bottom slightly larger than the hose. Feed the hose through, then attach your deck fitting and tank end.

Do you already have a pumpout deck fitting on the port side?

The plywood salon floor extends all the way out to the hull and is about 10" below the fiberglass deck as you have found. As Flywright suggests it's a good idea to locate the deck plate hole and the location of the access hole in the plywood salon floor extension below, before you hole saw out the larger holes.

Depending on the deck fitting you choose, you may need to cut a second hand hole, near the hose hole in the plywood floor, to clamp down the deck fitting and attach the hose/clamp from inside the engine room. If the fitting is held in place with screws, then you also need a backing plate. Whatever fitting you use it has to be totally watertight. A water leak from the deck would lead to dry rot in the salon floor.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom