Cable steering adjustment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisyboy

Vessel Name
Malagari
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy 36 Europa
Some jobs on a boat are important to the maintenance of the boat - others are important for the sanity of the owner - this is one of the latter.

Ever since we bought Malagari, the fact that the steering wheel spoke that is marked and should be at 12 oclock when travelling in a straight line was actually at 10 oclock really got up my nose. OK,OK, the boat won`t sink because of that but it just bugged me.

So............down into the lazarette to loosen/tighten the two cables and I think I have it in the straight ahead, 12 oclock position - well, until a sea trial confirms it that is.

So my questions are these:
How tight/loose should the cables be?
Should both rudders be parallel to each other.

thanks

The rudders should be parallel, the cable should be tight enough so as to not sag, but not so tight as to cause stress or abnormal wear on pulleys/blocks etc. just curious, is the center mark at mid travel, h.o. to h.o., or did you only check it when you are underway?

George, assuming you have them too, what was the rudder indicator telling you when the marked top spoke was at 10 o`clock?

I've wondered about this too.

Last year whilst down in the holy place I noticed on the Stb. side the cable had jumped out of the roller, I slipped it back in. I'm wondering where to tighten it. On the quadrant? Also I suppose I should remove and grease any sheaves?

Cheers

Yes, definitely lube all components of the system. Many of these will have grease fittings installed. Also examine, and lube any roller chain, and wheel shaft assemblies.

Thanks for the replies<

Bruce - I had to re set the indicator after I bought her- it was on back the front so I set it to indicate straight ahead - that's when I twigged about the wheel not being centred.
Dave - I haven`t checked HO to HO - something for the list

George, while you are in the lazarette, what do those metal frame "towers" sitting around the top of the rudder shafts do. Not attached to anything except the boat. Maybe to restrict movement in the event of rudder impact?

FWIW, I had a similar problem, the wheel moved to the two o'clock position for the rudders to be amid ship.

Turned out the problem originated from the flybridge helm putting pressure on the upper chain stop buckle(located behind the flybridge helm) after the wheel was turned hard up against it in repeated tight turns.I solved the problem by adjusting the stop buckle and being more gentle in my treatment of the old girl.

Mind you I only found that out after almost dismantling the steering quadrant in the lazarette, still it needed a good grease.

what do those metal frame "towers" sitting around the top of the rudder shafts do.

Am I missing something? I can't remember Sarawana having that set up, however I have enough stuff in the lazarette to start up a small Bunnings hardware store, so I don't get to see the steering quadrant very often. Time to clear it out and repack.

Bruce,

Ditto for me re the metal frame. Malagari has a wooden post on the stbd rudder to limit the arc of movement but nothing metal. If you show me yours, I`ll show you mine (so to speak) with a picture

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom