Old 09-26-2020, 08:28 AM   #61

City: Naples Fl
Vessel Name: Phantom
Vessel Model: Cheer Men PT41
I cruise in the same areas as O C and find the need for heat to be minimal, even currently in the high latitudes of Sault Ste Marie.
I don't doubt that my little ceramic heaters are not the best way to heat a boat, but there was no installation, no coolant water running around the boat and perfectly safe with cutout switches if they were to fall over.
The alternators are working a bit harder and I'm probably burning a little extra diesel, but I can live comfortably with that in my warm helm.
mickand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:53 AM   #62
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickand View Post
I cruise in the same areas as O C and find the need for heat to be minimal, even currently in the high latitudes of Sault Ste Marie.
I don't doubt that my little ceramic heaters are not the best way to heat a boat, but there was no installation, no coolant water running around the boat and perfectly safe with cutout switches if they were to fall over.
The alternators are working a bit harder and I'm probably burning a little extra diesel, but I can live comfortably with that in my warm helm.
Suggestion
One simple red dot heater plumbed off your engine could be the Cat's meow. Short coolant lines and a simple 12 volt on off switch. A few hour DIY job and inexpensive.

Takes up less space than a few parkas which seem the norm in the Soo for you tough guys.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:33 AM   #63
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickand View Post
While a heat system similar to mine would work well for you, one certainly has to balance cost versus use. If you already had the inverter installed, cost was extremely minimal. I would certainly give you points for thinking outside the box. You may find down the road that most non commercial alternators don't live a long life putting out high amperage. Ran a large marina air conditioner through a Chinese inverter on my charter boat. The Delco alternators lasted a year or so, too the point where I kept a spare on the boat. Switched to a commercial large frame Leece Neville alternator which eliminated the problem. The inverters would last about 3 to 4 years at $400 a pop (sound they made when they died).

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:35 AM   #64
Guru

City: Seattle
Ted are you referring to inverters or alternators?
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:23 PM   #65
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Ted are you referring to inverters or alternators?
Both.

A stock alternator isn't designed to run at continuous high amperage. They generally have problems dissipating the heat. Most multi stage external regulators have a temperature sensor that goes on the alternator. When the alternator gets too hot, it reduces the output until the alternator cools off.

The Chinese inverters are made to a price point with mediocre components. The 5 and 10 KW units don't seem to handle boat vibration well. There's a reason they onlt cost around $400. It served my purposes with no expectation of longevity.

Ted
Old 09-26-2020, 09:00 PM   #66
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
Thorough answer, Ted. Thank you. Makes perfect sense. I don't know what my cruising grounds or habits will be yet, but I hope to have the options thoroughly hashed out as my plan takes shape.
HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:26 PM   #67

City: Aposentillo
Nice job! CDO owners are the best to buy used boats from... you repowered with the Deere didn't you? Nice setup indeed. To completely overcomplicate and satisfy your compulsions, running the units in parallel by employing manifolds would not only offer balanced zone temperatures but also allow individual valving to gate off separately in the event of a failure yet, still keeping the other zones in service.
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:43 PM   #68
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
You do not have CDO, one of your negative buss heat shrink is yellow, this would be unacceptable for one having a CDO (like me).

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:46 AM   #69
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggerknot View Post
Nice job! CDO owners are the best to buy used boats from... you repowered with the Deere didn't you? Nice setup indeed. To completely overcomplicate and satisfy your compulsions, running the units in parallel by employing manifolds would not only offer balanced zone temperatures but also allow individual valving to gate off separately in the event of a failure yet, still keeping the other zones in service.
Thank you!

If I were in a colder environment with more use, that would make sense. The heat loop has coolant flow less than 20% of the time. One also has to balance potential failure points against reliability and features.

Ted
Old 10-20-2020, 04:56 AM   #70
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
You do not have CDO, one of your negative buss heat shrink is yellow, this would be unacceptable for one having a CDO (like me).

L
I use heat shrink wire terminals. The color of the heat shrink insulating sleeve designates wire size. Red is small; blue is medium; yellow is large.

Ted