Bronze casting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RT Firefly

Enigma
Greetings,
It has been suggested in other threads that a possible option for replacement of difficult to find bronze parts (ports, cleats etc.) is to have the part made at a foundry. Since the finished product is priced by the pound this seems to be quite economical-Yes/no?
Is it viable to have props done in the same fashion?

I'm sure it could be, especially if there was some interest in group purchases to bring the individual part cost down.

Port Townsend Foundry is a great example of this.

I'm sure it could be, especially if there was some interest in group purchases to bring the individual part cost down.

Port Townsend Foundry is a great example of this.

Individual NO, Multiple maybe? But its a boat so what it cost may not be a factor. :confused::D:facepalm: There are small foundries in most areas.

Sand casting is done on a one off system by most shops.

So if you provide the pattern there would be little savings between 1 or 10.

Machining costs might go down with a group purchase.

If the part you require will be fine, cast from discarded props or shaft material the cost should not be very high.

Check with the local High Skool, some have the gear.Bring your sample.

I'd like another pair of elkhorn hause pipes... :)

Check with the local High Skool, some have the gear.Bring your sample.

You are about 50 years late on that idea. How many high schools have "industrial arts" classes much less shops these days?

Can't have the kiddies exposed to such dangerous stuff as hot metal.

Everett Community College has one and the are many others like Sno Isle Tech do as well. The Port Townsend Foundry specializes in one of and small order marine gear.

Greetings,
Hmmm....hadn't thought about the alloy properties and machining. Thanks Mr. FF. I am assuming (ya, I know, I know...) that if I take my prop to a suitable foundry and they use it a a pattern, the "raw" finished product will take some clean-up, but how much? I look at my hawse pipes and cleats and THEY seem nicely finished. How close to that finish were they when released from the mold? So I guess the bottom line is: Can I make my own props and would it be cost effective (new Michigan Wheel ~$2100)?

I doubt you will be able to beat a mass produced prop's cost.

Can I make my own props and would it be cost effective (new Michigan Wheel ~$2100)?

No because the temperature for a prop is an exact requirement , for a cleat or hawse hole very much less so.

Most folks do far better to purchase a prop. The Michigan and other US props are list priced at stoopid prices , to "protect" distributors and dealers.

Try a good import , only down side is the slow delivery time.

Taiwan has gotten far better in the decades since they made TT's.

WE purchased a 32x32 4 blade here with excellent results .

Ahoy Propellers - Design and Manufacturing

www.[B]ahoypropellers[/B].com/html/

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom