Old 12-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #41
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
That looks like the image of an mmc with dual engines not a single. The ones i have seen with a single have much bigger rudders.
The rudder and prop look to me like they are on the centerline of the boat judging by their relationship to the centerline vee in the transom.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #42
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I'm impressed how fast the small propeller of the bow thruster spins the 14-ton Coot.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #43
Ben
Guru

City: Clayton, NC
Vessel Name: Silver Lining
Vessel Model: Heritage East 44 / Twin Perkins T6.3544
No Thruster. Single Screw. Pulls starboard in reverse. I speak kindly to the wind, whisper to the current, and most importantly, my marina neighbors are outrageously helpful. A few strategically placed fenders help too.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:31 AM   #44
FF
Guru

IF a compressor doesn't even go a year , there is probably a reason it was killed , not just a Mfg failure.

Low voltage , high head pressure , lack of cooling , no timer for low power restart, many many ways to kill a compressor.

You need a competiant repair guy.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:35 AM   #45
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
A few strategically placed fenders help too.

Docking by braille. I can relate to that.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #46
Guru

We have both bow and stern thrusters on our 47ft single screw Selene. The stern thruster is marginal when used alone. It is helps when spinning the boat using both thrusters and helps push the stern in to the dock when tightening attached stern lines. Having to choose between both, I would certainly go for the bow thruster. I think I have even seen bow thrusters than can be attached externally without the need to cut a tunnel, that might help keep costs down.
I continue to envy sailboats that can spin on a dime without any thrusters. Yes, I can turn my boat, but it sure does not handle like my friend's same length sailboat, despite having a decent size keel.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #47

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Adelaide
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Whatever thruster one chooses, make sure that it is not underpowered for the size of the boat. My stern thruster allows me to run my boat parallel to my dock, then by hitting the joystick it turns my boat perpendicular to move it into the slip. Of course, my thruster is rated for a 40+ foot boat and moves my 32' vessel with ease.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #48
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Ron said:
"Why would you need an inverter to install a bow thruster?"

Boat is 12V and thruster motor is 24V
It seems like that would be pretty inefficient at high power. And pretty expensive. Would two 12 volt batteries in series have been an option?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #49
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
No Thruster. Single Screw. Pulls starboard in reverse. I speak kindly to the wind, whisper to the current, and most importantly, my marina neighbors are outrageously helpful. A few strategically placed fenders help too.
Welcome back, Ben!

I must admit, your handling skill in the close quarters of our marina has impressed me more than once.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:31 AM   #50
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Ben's been readin' ma mail.....
We manage...but if I was able to buy a newer, bigger boat, I suspect I would go with bow thruster...
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #51
Veteran Member

City: Tampa Bay
Vessel Name: Belle Aurore
Vessel Model: Hatteras LRC 48/53
Belle has a deep keel, high windage, and twin screws. If the winds not messing with you the current is. She is not as nimble as my previous boats and you need to be ready to pour on the power in tight quarters if you want her to behave. We will be adding a Sidepower to her bow before spring and the quote I have is for $14,000 complete. Two 12 volt batteries wired for 24 volt with 10-inch tunnel unit for 50-60 footers. We have learned to use spring lines getting off a dock, and the stern is controllable. I love when somebody wants to criticize adding a thruster - like we just can't drive good enough. They are either blow boaters - whose keel design does not begin to match a trawler keel, or they are jealous because they either can't or choose not to pay for this luxury item.
BelleAurore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:25 AM   #52
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleAurore View Post
I love when somebody wants to criticize adding a thruster - like we just can't drive good enough. They are either blow boaters - whose keel design does not begin to match a trawler keel, or they are jealous because they either can't or choose not to pay for this luxury item.
Yes and they drive a standard shift, no A/C, no Power Steering or Power Brakes and an AM radio if they even have one. Right!

I'm not opposed to practicing without them once and a while but if they are available, not to using them or seeing the value in them is a bit old fashioned or hard headed. Not that anyone here is either or God forbid both.

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #53
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I've seen the Chesapeake waterman's docking contests on the Internet and these guys can dock a single screw workboat without a thruster in short order, but most of them have been docking the same boat six days a week for 30 years or more. And it's a workboat and they're docking between two wooden pilings, not between two million dollar yachts.

For the rest of us, any tool that makes it easier or safer is a good thing. I take my boat out (and bring it back) to enjoy myself, not to impress bystanders or virtual people.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #54
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I
....any tool that makes it easier or safer is a good thing. I take my boat out (and bring it back) to enjoy myself, not to impress bystanders or virtual people.
I think that sums it up as well as anything. Can one run a boat, single or twin, without thrusters? Absolutely. Can a thruster, bow or stern, make handling a boat easier which can also translate into safer? Absolutely. If you have one, or want to spend the money to install one, is it admitting you are a less competent boater than people without them? Absolutely not.

There have been plenty of times with our twin engine boat that I've wished it had a bow thruster. We have so far always managed to deal with the situations that have come up, but there is no question that if the boat had a bow thruster it would have been easier or faster to deal with some of them.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #55
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleAurore View Post
Belle has a deep keel, high windage, and twin screws. If the winds not messing with you the current is. She is not as nimble as my previous boats and you need to be ready to pour on the power in tight quarters if you want her to behave. We will be adding a Sidepower to her bow before spring and the quote I have is for $14,000 complete. Two 12 volt batteries wired for 24 volt with 10-inch tunnel unit for 50-60 footers. We have learned to use spring lines getting off a dock, and the stern is controllable. I love when somebody wants to criticize adding a thruster - like we just can't drive good enough. They are either blow boaters - whose keel design does not begin to match a trawler keel, or they are jealous because they either can't or choose not to pay for this luxury item.
none of the above. The hull truth is that they are just jealous and envy you cause you have the money to spend and they don't. Don't you remember the kidfs in school when you had a candy bar and they didn't?
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #56

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Fluke
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
We have a 24 V Bow thruster, 2 8Ds in series and a 24 v charger that requires AC from Genset or shore. I have not run out of 24V before I got the maneuver complete. . It is a Wesmar 15 hp in a 10 inch tube. !2 would have been better but would not fit.

Be sure the tube sits low and as far forward as possible to give you best leverage. Having a Bow thruster when moving backwards is like having a rudder on both ends of the boat. If the real rudder doesn't work (an emergency IMHO) the thruster can do some steering while you figure out the problem.
xfedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #57
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfedex View Post
We have a 24 V Bow thruster, 2 8Ds in series and a 24 v charger that requires AC from Genset or shore. I have not run out of 24V before I got the maneuver complete. . It is a Wesmar 15 hp in a 10 inch tube. !2 would have been better but would not fit.

Be sure the tube sits low and as far forward as possible to give you best leverage. Having a Bow thruster when moving backwards is like having a rudder on both ends of the boat. If the real rudder doesn't work (an emergency IMHO) the thruster can do some steering while you figure out the problem.
ah, never thought of it for steerring. thanks
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #58
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
We're contemplating one of these:

Yacht Thruster - Bow and Stern Thrusters Applications

Seems perfect for a DIY project, and I like the idea of a small hole in the boat vs the traditional tube. The company touts the exposed motor has extended run time due to the cooling action of the surrounding water.

Last time I checked pricing it was in the neighborhood of 5K (including haulout for the unit install). The haulout can be a haul and hang vs blocked.

Opinions?

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #59
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
I have a single screw and occasionally have opertunity to run a twin.
I learned that to end confusion as to what and how the boat turns.
Is to put both hands on the shifters and point your thumbs towards each other.
which ever way your thumbs are pointing that is the way the boat will turn.

Right tumb pointing left and forward the bow turns left.
Right thumb pointing left and in reverse the stern backs left.
left thumb pointing right and forward the bow turns right.
Left thumb pointing right and in reverse the stern turns right.
all you have to do is look at your thumbs.

Never let you dog do this.

No thumbs.

SD
Old 12-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #60
Guru

Wink

It kind of begs the question of which appendage does the pointing for a single screw???
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote