Blue run dry impellers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
Has anyone tried these? I've had some impeller issues this year and was thinking on trying one of these . I think my problems have just been a series of events that I'm pretty sure that I have resolved. I need to get a couple spares and was considering these .

Competition for Jabsco can't be a bad thing...

Yes have used them before, piece of mind is nice. Also have used them in the heads.

Some of them are made with a hard plastic center, unlike their jabsco counterparts which are brass (bronze? ).

In certain applications, these can strip easily, like as the raw water pump for our Gen. We went through 3 in a month. I still have them in our main engines but you should be aware, depending on which one you need.

Gabe

Here is a post from another site about Globe impellers......

Bayliner Owners Club - Globe 845 run-dry impeller for Hino EH-700's raw water pumps?....BAD BAD BAD - BOC Forum

And a cut and paste of my post there as well....

"These impellers are listed as replacements for the Hino 16131-1350 neoprene raw-water intake impellers...has anyone tried these? Description sure sounds good...any experiences out there?"

Yes .....
- catastrophic failure's of both main impellers within 40 hours of new install.
- failure was a 'stripped' inner star drive in both instances leaving zero pumping capability within seconds
- traced the problem down to the limited engagement of star drive and the poor fit (length of insert is less than 60% of impeller lenght)
- contacted Globe to show the problem and they requested the impeller back
- sent one and requested they send notice to all users with safety issues due to failure
- they offered me a larger shopping 'credit' but wanted my other impeller back and to sign a ''no talk' agreement

Long story short did not send the second impeller back, signed nothing, got nothing , and I cautions people of the early failure rate of these impellers.
This was maybe 12-15 years back.
Hope this helps

I had a friend try one and it burned up in 15 minutes. Seacock was open.

I'm amazed they are still in business. Back when they first came out my Dad decided we should sell them. He brought in a nice selection of them and started selling them. Every one was brought back by an angry customer and Globe would not stand behind them. We ended up eating the whole batch. I will never do business with them again.

Thanks for all the info guys .
I just ordered two standard impellers for the orberdorfer pump from Cardinal Pump $68 each in stock . This pump is now obsolete (model 403m ) . I would eventually like to replace this pump with something new . What pump are you guys running on a Perkins 6.354 na ?

Last edited:
I would never try any impeller other than OEM and reading what I've found on these, definitely not them. However, in general, I've heard too many times about impellers that looked and felt the same, but just didn't perform the same. There are so many factors and a very small difference can be significant, whether it's design or whether it's the exact composition of the materials.

I have never tried one but know people who years ago tried them in outboards had no luck (Except bad) with them.

I ran Jabsco neoprene impellers (P/N 1210-0001) for years, then learned about the Jabsco nitrile impellers from someone on TF. I've found the nitrile model (P/N 1210-0003) seems more durable and cost the same...$23 each delivered to my door in 2 days by Amazon!

Glad I never tried the Globe impellers.

Gotta love Amazon!

"I had a friend try one and it burned up in 15 minutes. Seacock was open."

Yup, failed when I tried them.

A question for all of you who tried this impeller. Why? Was there something about the impeller you'd been using that you were unhappy with? Something wrong with the manufacturer's product? Was it simply price?

Guess I don't understand experimenting with something like impellers and putting engines at risk over a small part like that.

A question for all of you who tried this impeller. Why? Was there something about the impeller you'd been using that you were unhappy with? Something wrong with the manufacturer's product? Was it simply price?

Guess I don't understand experimenting with something like impellers and putting engines at risk over a small part like that.

Sometimes it's availability. Bought spares for my John Deere from the dealer who sold me the pump. Everything was OEM except the impellers. Didn't realize I had a Johnson Pump until I went to install the Jabsco spare impeller during normal annual maintenance. I'm sure he gets a better price from Paxton than from JD. Most marinas stock Jabsco impellers around that area regardless of pump manufacturer. Will probably source Johnson impellers only because the insert is threaded, only requiring screwing in a bolt to force the impeller out of the pump body. The Jabsco impeller has been working fine for the last 600 hours.

Ted

"Guess I don't understand experimenting with something like impellers and putting engines at risk over a small part like that.'

A number of potential reasons come to mind including but not limited to:
- Engine is older and OEM parts are either rare or obsolete. Some engines on the board are more than 40 years old.
- A very good experience with a newer technology part in another application (I originally had a globe in an oil transfer pump where it was superb)
- The original OEM parts are not of the highest quality
- OEM parts are not often made by the OEM
- Time moves on and the OEM specs are no longer relevant (such as in oil specs)

If you want to have "peace of mind" regarding your impellers, may I suggest looking into the Speedseal Life. Some very interesting claims backed up by testing conducted by Yanmar.

Welcome to Speedseal Safety Covers

I recall problems with the one I tried out years ago. Don't recall the details, something about a poor fit to begin with, and poor flow once installed. I ended up swapping it out shortly after installing it, and throwing it and the spare I'd bought both in the trash.

Thanks for all the info guys .
I just ordered two standard impellers for the orberdorfer pump from Cardinal Pump $68 each in stock . This pump is now obsolete (model 403m ) . I would eventually like to replace this pump with something new . What pump are you guys running on a Perkins 6.354 na ?

Give Depco pump a call and take their advice. You will not go wrong doing so. 727-446-1656. Looks like parts for this excellent pump are still available, but take their advice regardless.

Give Depco pump a call and take their advice. You will not go wrong doing so. 727-446-1656. Looks like parts for this excellent pump are still available, but take their advice regardless.
Thanks I will . I've got another one at home for a spare . It's missing some parts . From what I here these are pretty good pumps and fairly easy to rebuild .

Last edited:
One thing I found on my Jabsco pump for my 4.236 (10970) was that there is a back plate that I never knew existed. I had a problem with the pump priming after an impeller change. I tried many impellers with the same results....NO FLOW. I called Jabsco for help.

They told me about the wear plate on the inside surface of the pump opposite the end cover. (Item 5 in this blowup) It allows wear on that surface without damaging the pump. When it wears, the pump loses suction. I never knew it was there! I had to pry it out with the finest tool as it's a very tight fit inside the pump.

After setting me on the right path to repair, Jabsco sent me a wearplate for free. I since have had the other dripping pump rebuilt locally with a seal kit for about $150 in parts and labor. I would have rebuilt it myself but I didn't have the equipment to press the seals.

All in all, I have found the pumps to be reliable, easy to service and well-supported by the folks at Jabsco. No doubt yours is a different model, but hopefully your results will be similar.

Last edited:
I'm amazed they are still in business. Back when they first came out my Dad decided we should sell them. He brought in a nice selection of them and started selling them. Every one was brought back by an angry customer and Globe would not stand behind them. We ended up eating the whole batch. I will never do business with them again.

Now you tell me.

I have two , but have never used them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom