Old 06-22-2015, 03:00 PM   #1

City: Dexter
Blinds

Just bought 20 year old Island Gyspey 32' with old curtains. Would like to upgrade. Anyone done so with something other than cloth curtains?
Cinlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:08 PM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Blinds custom made to length and width at Lowes...plastic blades...in many colors...very reasonable...something like averaging $20 per.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:23 PM   #3

What is the best way to keep them from rattling with boat movement?
Old 06-22-2015, 03:27 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
We bought our boat without window coverings and felt like we were living in a fish bowl. For the windows, I ordered faux wood blinds from Lowes with color ribbons with make them more coordinated to the boat's colors. Each window has its own blind but in hindsight, I should have installed double width blinds for some of them.

The doors have cordless shades that operate single handed from inside or outside. Those are very easily operated. If I had unlimited funds, I'd go cordless throughout the boat.

Here's a shot immediately after installation.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:29 PM   #5
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinlamb View Post
What is the best way to keep them from rattling with boat movement?
I opted against installing the little retaining clips to hold the bottom rail steady. When we're underway or at anchor at night, we raise the blinds and wrap the cord in the end to prevent noise.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:32 PM   #6

Thanks!!
Old 06-22-2015, 05:01 PM   #7
Guru

Underway the binds are usually all the way up so no rattling...

Other times...I used electrical P clips as the cheapo plastic retainers that came with them lasted about a week per. The P clips are retained by screws that hold the window frames in.

They work great, are easy to use and near indestructible...
Attached Thumbnails
photo (12).JPG   photo (13).JPG  
Old 06-22-2015, 05:36 PM   #8
Scraping Paint

City: -
Our 1973 boat came with Levalour metal blinds in all the windows except the forward ones (windshield). The boat we charted had curtains. Hated the curtains, love the blinds.

We run with them up but very often put some or all of them down at a dock, at anchor, etc. To keep them from banging around Levalour used plastic fittings at the ends of each bottom bar that fit into hook-like catches that are screwed to the lower window sill.

Some of the original fittings were failing when we bought the boat and were being held together with electrical tape. More of them broke over the years so we finally did something about it this year.

The college-age son of a co-worker built a 3D printer from scratch last summer and once he had it operating he printed thirty new fittings of an improved design for us. First photo is on of the last intact original fittings, second photo is the new 3D-printed fitting.

This is just one way to secure the bottom bar of a blind to keep it from banging around. There are many others.
Attached Thumbnails
Original End.jpg   3D PART.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:09 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Not really blinds and kinda cheap o tacky but this is what we have . We cut this 1/4" thick foiled insulation to fit the windows . It helps with window sweat when the air is on and the boat stays cooler .
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-22-2015, 08:55 PM   #10

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Name: Wataworld
Vessel Model: Defever 44+5
What do you do with the front windows and where to buy that silver reflective fabric like in car shades
Thanks
Gregg
Wataworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:22 AM   #11
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
We found "cellular" blinds at Home Depot. They custom make them (in China I suspect) to your measurements. They've been great. Here's the best picture I could find showing the construction:

It's not shown in the picture, but the end caps have little holes that fit into the plastic clips you screw into the bulkhead. The blinds are great, but the clips break easily. Some of the alternatives above would help, but we've learned to be careful and haven't broken one in over a year now.

They aren't cheap, but they look and work great. The strings are all internal, they raise and lower just by pulling down or pushing back up.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:32 AM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wataworld View Post
What do you do with the front windows and where to buy that silver reflective fabric like in car shades
Thanks
Gregg
We do the same with the front windows . Get it a Lowes .
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-23-2015, 09:40 AM   #13

City: louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
Not really blinds and kinda cheap o tacky but this is what we have . We cut this 1/4" thick foiled insulation to fit the windows . It helps with window sweat when the air is on and the boat stays cooler .
Add a Rebel flag and you've got a tornado magnet for sure
rardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:06 AM   #14

City: Olympia, WA
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47
We use the clear plastic blind hold downs that are designed for RV's. As Capt Tom suggests, they break every once in a while, but work very well, even in open ocean. I have a bag full of spares.

There are several different sizes, depending on the style and size of the blinds that you install.

Amazon.com - Hold Down Plastic Bracket For 2 inch Horizontal Blind- Pack of 10 - Clear - Window Treatment Horizontal Blinds

I don't really have a good picture of them in use, but there is one of the clips in this picture, just below the window on the right side.

Good Luck
Boydski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:43 AM   #15
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
We found "cellular" blinds at Home Depot. They custom make them (in China I suspect) to your measurements. They've been great. Here's the best picture I could find showing the construction:

We have similar blinds in our house and they are very energy efficient. We have very tight, leak proof windows, but the energy transmission through the glass was something you could feel. We put in these blinds and it makes the rooms noticably more comfortable in the winter.

My first thought on seeing this thread was how could the boat have blinds like these and not bang around. Glad to see the solutions that make this work!

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:00 AM   #16
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
This is the same product I have on my doors. They just cover the upper half where there's glass.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:13 AM   #17
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Mine is a no AC, anchor out operation so blinds were selected for max insulation, minimum noise. The narrow plastic type, cheap from home depot for the blinds and thin, white, plastic, channels, (somthing to do with drywall I think) keep them from banging at any height. That with my nylon "air funnel" on the bow hatch keep me cool on the warmest days. I have solar film on my sides also
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:19 AM   #18
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
I guess I'm going to be the "doubting Thomas" in this thread but, for the life of me, I don't see how blinds inside the boat keep the heat out! I know they keep the sun light at bay & provide privacy but since the blinds are in the boat, isn't the heat already in the boat when the sun comes through the windows? I have blinds on my boat but when I hold my hand up to them on a sunny day, I can still feel significant heat. Low E-glass or tinted windows seem to be a better solution to the problem. My windshield is covered by Sunbrella and my salon sliding doors are tinted. Even with direct sun on the sliding doors, not much heat can be felt.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0830.jpg   IMG_0493.jpg   IMG_1293.jpg  
Old 06-23-2015, 11:24 AM   #19
Guru

No physicist here but my understanding is...blinds of a light color can reflect heat back OUT through the glass....dark blinds would be much hotter as they are absorbing and not reflecting...the reason passive solar items have glass over absorbers and the back of the panel is painted black.

So blinds that will reflect back rather than allow light to land on and heat up an interior object should help. Not a lot...but some.

Even if they heat up a bit...better it be close to a low R value window that will transmit the heat back out than the rug or sofa that will add heat t the interior of the space.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:30 AM   #20
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
[QUOTE=psneeld;343064

So blinds that will reflect back rather than allow light to land on and heat up an interior object should help. Not a lot...but some.[/QUOTE]