Blender recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gabe n Em

Guru
Vessel Name
Volans
Vessel Make
2001 PDQ MV 32
So I searched the forum and couldn't come up with a good discussion on the critical piece of equipment for concocting a proper "boat drink". I saw references to a mini Cuisinart blender and a couple other products, but let's hear your thoughts. We're headed south again (Florida, this time) and feel the ability to make (ridiculous) daqueries or piña coladas is a requirement for the new environment we'll be living in.

Our ninja knockoff, while small and easily stowed, doesn't really blend ice well and we're looking to upgrade. What's your favorite?

Also, we're in Maryland, and hopefully will be south of the bridge tomorrow. If anyone is in the area with a good blender and wants to demonstrate, we'll supply the rum!

Also, we're in Maryland, and hopefully will be south of the bridge tomorrow. If anyone is in the area with a good blender and wants to demonstrate, we'll supply the rum!

I used to have a 12V blender on my sailboat that made very good frozen drinks, very powerful. However, now I drink beer and wine, a mimosa or gin and tonic, so no blender required.

who drinks daqueries? Is this the 50's?

i found the Ninja to be the best all around blender including for fine grounding coffee. Get the most powerful one with multiple connections.

I have a smoothie every morning for breakfast. The inexpensive Oster gets it done for me. Under $20 at Walmart. Is perfectly happy running off the inverter.

16344294863006300943553009678856.jpg

Ted

For boat drinks, a regular AC powered blender. Replace as necessary. I've gotten a decade out of Waring commercial model. Just an on/off switch, nothing else.

A friend had the gas powered contraption. I want my drinks, not yanking the damn cord to start it. A feat whose success is inversely proportional to the number of drinks consumed from it.

12v units don't have enough torque to chop ice reliably and don't last anywhere near as long as a Waring.

Many blenders use a universal size container, bars purchase a metal container that is safer if dropped.

You guys are amazing. I knew I'd see the weed whacker motor option!

I've heard the cordless drill blender doesn't actually have enough gumption to properly blend.

I'll take a peek at the Vitamix and Oster options. I'm looking for small. Usually it's only the two of us aboard.

Yeah, I can't honestly recall the last time I had a daquerie...

Funny! Saw the weedwhacker powered blender at the Atlantic City Boat Show once. It must be popular sales tool. Lol.

Jimmy Buffet's 18 volt rechargeable Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker!! It shaves the ice for a proper frozen drink (ie mudslide or margarita)! It is an impressive machine and we have made mudslides in our dingy while pulling alongside our friends boats. We make many friends along the way!

i found the Ninja to be the best all around blender including for fine grounding coffee. Get the most powerful one with multiple connections.

Upvote!

America's Test Kitchen seems to like the Breville model. Appears to be fairly compact too making it boat friendly. Ninja (which I have) didn't fair too well.

https://youtu.be/C7GzAOoa5L4

Sadly, they didn't test the weed whacked model.

Peter

We recently got a Zwilling blender. Two speeds, 500 watts. It’s a personal blender size 18 oz. which I guess is the generic category for Bullets, Ninjas, etc. After my wife deems her bananas as overripe, I have started making what I guess they call smoothies.

So far, bananas, yogurt, a little milk. Then depending on the time of day and what’s on hand, I add peanut butter or Nutella and maybe dark rum. I have to say, pretty tasty and no more wasted bananas (although banana nut bread works too but with more effort.) There absolutely will not be any kale or Brussels sprouts smoothies. Ever.

We have a Ninja with the motor on top (Master Prep Professional System) and it makes make great frozen drinks. I think it's only 450 watts, so it runs easily on an inverter and crushes ice much more effectively than the old fashioned Oster Blender we used to use. It's also only 50 bucks or less, so it's really affordable. We have another one that we have been using for years in our dirt home too.

We recently got a Zwilling blender. Two speeds, 500 watts. It’s a personal blender size 18 oz. which I guess is the generic category for Bullets, Ninjas, etc. After my wife deems her bananas as overripe, I have started making what I guess they call smoothies.

So far, bananas, yogurt, a little milk. Then depending on the time of day and what’s on hand, I add peanut butter or Nutella and maybe dark rum. I have to say, pretty tasty and no more wasted bananas (although banana nut bread works too but with more effort.) There absolutely will not be any kale or Brussels sprouts smoothies. Ever.

My breakfast smoothie is banana, oatmeal, almond milk, Activia yogurt, cinnamon and honey. Activia is a probiotic and combined with a banana boosts the process.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom