Bimini Top Material

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waterfront

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Waterfront
Vessel Make
Chein Hwa Present Sundeck 35
I am curious about a product that I found on the web at Hard To Top | Home. My canvas needs replacing on the flybridge as well as the aft deck and was wondering if anyone here has used this product. They have a ten year warranty, but I am concerned about the shade issue.
H

Chuck, do you just leave that up when preparing for a hurricane, or is it easy to remove and store? I've seen a few boats with those and they look pretty slick.

We have Stamoid as our bimini fabric and been very happy with it. Holds up extremely well and rolls up / removes like Sunbrella. I am not sure when the PO installed it but we are going on 6 years now. We got a tear in ours when caught in a micro cell and one of the stanchions in the frame tore out of the FB console, after one of the stainless bows bent! Tough stuff. Sewed back together in a jiffy.

Looks like it may be just what I need. When I get down to the boat I'll measure and then call for a quote. Thanks

We have left it up so far but did put lines across and tied it down for a tropical storm. If a hurricane was coming in our direction we would take it down. It's just a matter of taking the bimini frame loose. The thing is very light. Chuck

We absolutely love it and will never go back to a cloth bimini again. The Trawler Beach House: From A Fabric Bimini To A Hardtop In One Day . Chuck

Chuck, I didn't see anything about UV protection for the material and the people under it. Obviously light comes through it, which is nice, but can you get a sunburn while sitting under it? My canvas for the cockpit is done and I would like to replace with a hardtop with the option of side curtains for the spring and fall. Cheers!

Sunburn under a bimini, cloth or our type, comes from the sun shining under the bimini or reflecting off the water. There is plenty of shade under the hard top. Chuck

We have left it up so far but did put lines across and tied it down for a tropical storm. If a hurricane was coming in our direction we would take it down. It's just a matter of taking the bimini frame loose. The thing is very light. Chuck

Thanks Chuck. So all in all what do feel are the major advantages vs fabric? I personally haven't seen anyone put a hatch with lid in one or mount stuff (antennas, radar etc) on one... is that doable?

It won't rip, tear, fade. mildew, blow out stitches, have to be replaced every 5 years or less, cleans effortlessly in place. allows light through while providing shade, is 100% waterproof for its life, and probably a few more things. They can make hatches and just about any configuration you would like. Chuck

Interesting! My boat has fairly new canvas right now, but when the time comes to replace it I most definitely will look at Hard To Top! Thanks!

John

I saw the LED lighting option but does the material itself come in any other colors?

I looked everywhere on their website, but couldn't find it - does anybody know where they're located, or if they have a dealer network?

When a company doesn't show this info, I tend to be sceptical about their longevity and support.

Last edited:
bimini top material

WOW that looks great:) be much better if we could get something like that here in Australia.:rolleyes:
Cheers
Peter & Ronie B

I'll be interested to see how it holds up. I've been working with coroplast for the last 10 years or so and it's a great material. Some of the early stuff broke down under UV pretty badly, but they've gotten the science down these days.

I will not recommend Hardtotop. I have been waiting for a quote for a month...they obviously don't need my business. I want to build a 10x14 top. It looks pretty basic (Famous last words) Anyone know where I can access plans, a mold, materials?

Do they have wind screen and side curtains. As on a conventional Bimmini enclosure? If so anybody here tried them?

I don't understand. I got a quote in 48 hours and feel quite comfortable with them. Sorry you are having trouble. Email is such a flat way of communication. I say try one more time. Reading Chuck and Susan's blog I can't see a problem with Hard to Top.
HTH, S

Do they have wind screen and side curtains. As on a conventional Bimmini enclosure? If so anybody here tried them?

As far as trying them I cannot speak to that... but on the web site they have a gallery of pictures of different types of boats and quite a few have wind screen/side screen/Bimini type enclosures depicted...

i sent 2 emails right from their webpage over 1 month and no reply...maybe they just dont deal with Canada. I have had internet outfits that dont ship here but thats minor and ridiculous. they could at least have said so

i sent 2 emails right from their webpage over 1 month and no reply...maybe they just dont deal with Canada. I have had internet outfits that dont ship here but thats minor and ridiculous. they could at least have said so

Tangler, did you get the hard top afterwards?:blush:

Waterfront: Did you install the Hard top on your boat? I have a similar boat and am thinking about the same move.

I put one on the flybridge of my F32 Trojan, love it. No leaks. If you get the Keder strips, it is easy to fabricate side curtains that slide into the Keder. I am going to put one on the bridge of my new to me President 41. They only come in white. I live in Michigan so I drove to the shop in Westland and picked it up. We tied the box on the roof racks of our Jeep. It took us about 8 hours to install it.

I'm going to get a quote from Hard-to-top. My current cover (stamoid I think?) is 10 years old and in need of replacing...They have a photo on their site of my exact set-up. I already have a sturdy frame. Should be quite simple to fit...

IMG_3940-vi.jpg

Yes, I got the hardtop...custom made...am still working on a canvas enclosure and I replaced the windshield also...not shown here

Never did here from hardtotop

Back
Top Bottom