Bilge float switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had to test the old rule pump switch with a boat hook ...

Just tie a piece of string to the float and the other end to a convenient spot under the nearest access hatch. Pull the string to test the switch.

You aren't testing much if you don't run water into the bilge and see that the switch activates, the motor runs, the impeller turns, and water actually comes out of the thru hull.

Are your bilges normally bone dry- except when something breaks, leaks, or otherwise fails?..............

My bilges are normally "bone dry" if there's more than dampness, there's a problem that needs to be addressed. Fortunately, so far, it's only been the potable water system, but I did find a crack in the raw water strainer cover before it did any more than seep.

My bilges are normally "bone dry" if there's more than dampness, there's a problem that needs to be addressed. Fortunately, so far, it's only been the potable water system, but I did find a crack in the raw water strainer cover before it did any more than seep.

Without getting into a long dissertation, the Hatteras bilges, two in particular on my boat are bit infamous for retaining some water, as the pumps are mounted to slightly raised fiberglass platforms to minimize screwing into the hull proper, and then the additional standard height of water that always washes back when the pump has cycled. So in those cases, there is usually enough to check that the pump is pumping by sloshing water its way in some fashion. By default, I get a good visual of the condition of the plumbing. I use the occasion of washing and vacuuming the bilges to test for "big flow".

But the flapper switches are known to have fairly short lives, and the first thing you want to know if they are working at all. Water does not activate the switch in any manner that a boat hook does not. I do use the "hose some fresh water technique on the two Ultras that are both hard to reach and in typically "dry" bilges. The sumps of course are a piece of cake since they get tested virtually every day through usage. Again, I don't need to hear an alarm every time I service a strainer or the AC seawater pump or clean the bilge or due to shaft and rudder packing gland seepage. When the bilge pump light comes on at the helm, that bilge gets checked immediately.Also, the high water alarms are not mounted that high if that makes you feel better.

As they say "whatever floats your boat" !

BruceK;The Johnson Ultima switch is fitted for the fwd pump and tests fine. I like the absence of external working parts. The wiring connects differently to the flipper it replaced.

Bruce I'm about to replace my forward 'flipper',as it has now flopped. how different is the Ultima wiring.Any DIY hints appreciated.
The wiring instructions were confusing, I did not seem to have enough wires for what was said. Connecting it like the old flipper ran the pump constantly,so we swapped position of the wires from the switch and it was fine.You`ll see the switch has a test function on its body.
To other posters about testing flipper switches. Operate the flipper,does the pump turn on? Cease operate flipper,does pump turn off? Further check, just add water and observe. Always check for presence of debris, the pump draws debris to it, switch is beside pump and is at risk of jamming.
Final suggestion (subject to continued performance) replace flipper with "no external submerging moving parts" type switch.

I'm with Ron on this one, only I don't call it an alarm, I call it audible notification. I want to know every time my bilge pump cycles on, whether I'm at the helm or in the sack. I use a little piezo buzzer and in fact I have two, each with different sound so I know which pump is running. And I am tuned in to the cycle time, so if the 'notification' lasts an inordinate amount of time, I know something needs attention.

Without getting into a long dissertation, ...........

Really?

My point is, hearing the pump run does not in itself mean that water will be removed from the bilge and pumped overboard. Personally, I have had blockage in a bilge pump strainer and an impeller that fell off the pump motor. In each case, the pump could be heard running but it was not pumping. If it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone.

It amazes and amuses me how so many boaters claim they would never leave the dock without a VHF "radio check", yet they seldom or never check their bilge pumps to see if they actually pump water out of the boat.

Ron, I am not sure what your point is. or maybe you are not addressing me directly. When did I ever imply that I ignored water flow? Does your audible alarm that sounds every time your bilge switch activates measure water flow ? For those of us who do not possess bone dry bilges all the time, and do ocean cruising, in any kind of a sporty seaway, most switches will be intermittently lighting up. So that is one motivation for not having a bell or buzzer.

If the 'alarm' comes on and stays on, you know the bilge isn't being evacuated or the activator is faulty. I had a hose come loose and the pump was pushing water, but it was coming back in the bilge; the problem was quickly detected by the persistent notification. If the lower pump totally fails - no pumping and no alarm, the upper pump (and alarm) will kick in and I'll know the lower system needs attention.

At least that's how I stay comfortable with dewatering on my boat.

Does your audible alarm that sounds every time your bilge switch activates measure water flow ?.

How can an alarm possibly measure water flow in a bilge?

The alarm signals that the bilge pump is getting power because the float switch has sensed an abnormally high water level in the bilge. What it means to me is that I need to determine the cause and extent of a problem quickly.

This is all original equipment put in by the manufacturer of the boat as safety equipment. It's pretty standard.

Last edited by a moderator:
How can an alarm possibly measure water flow in a bilge?
It can`t. That was his point.
I cannot see how a "bilge pump in operation" alarm/indicator/light/buzzer/communication device (call it what you will) is a bad thing. It can`t be harmful to know the pump is operating, and it can help.You`ll never hear the pump running over the engine noise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing the absolute lack of understanding how many different possibilities and setups are out there....absolutely scary....:eek:

It can`t. That was his point.
I cannot see how a "bilge pump in operation" alarm/indicator/light/buzzer/communication device (call it what you will) is a bad thing. It can`t be harmful to know the pump is operating, and it can help.You`ll never hear the pump running over the engine noise.

OK, one more time, I thought I said on more than one occasion that I have lights for each pump at each helm that light up when the bilge pump switches are activated. I have a very audible alarm and a warning light at each helm when one of the "high water" switches are activated.

My question to Ron was somewhat facetious, as he had implied an audible alarm was desired (and he is certainly entitled to have one) for every time a bilge pump switch was activated. And that simply hearing the pump running was inadequate... so what was so special then about having an alarm on top of that? If the engines are running, is not someone at the helm?? Again the point being due to my boat's design, in a couple of the bilges due to the frequency of non-threatening conditions triggering the bllge switch (in particular the flipper type, which I have now mitigated some but not eliminated with a different sort of switch), I felt on my boat I would have more of a highly irritating situation with an alarm than a helpful one: the boy crying wolf syndrome. If someone wants to have an alarm go off every time a switch is activated on their boat that is perfectly fine with me.

Gotta agree with psneeld. I mean golly.

My question to Ron was somewhat facetious...
Again the point being due to my boat's design, in a couple of the bilges due to the frequency of non-threatening conditions triggering the bllge switch (in particular the flipper type, which I have now mitigated some but not eliminated with a different sort of switch),
Gotta agree with psneeld. I mean golly.
I thought your question to Ron was rhetorical.
Totally agree on changing flippers for something more reliable. What brand did you fit, is it working out well?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom