Old 09-11-2019, 09:26 AM   #21
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I bought a hose a couple of years ago for the boat. It is drinking water safe and coils up in a small size. So far I really like it, got it on Amazon. Brand is zero-G. No affiliation just satisfied customer.
I second that. The best I've ever seen.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #22
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
The brass ones are great for fresh water. I've used several for years. Melnor sell several sizes.

For raw water, the plastic one would not corrode.
I used to like the bottom plastic ones until one blew off. Since have used the machined brass ends with a SS hose clamp from HD.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #23

City: Corpus Christi
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: 1990 Californian/Carver 48 MY
I use the plastic ones for a few years, they die from UV in a few years, then switch to the look alike brass for a few years, they corrode after a few years, then to the hose barb and hose clamp, the screw part falls apart in a few years, then back to another brand of plastic, then back to ...... they all fall apart sooner or later....yep....Zero-G...and I've replaced the fitting on both ends of those hoses and they keep on working, probably have 4 or 5 of them.

The Brockerts
The Brockerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:16 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Quote:
Every now and then I am fast, but usually slow... Nice to hear someone else had a good experience with the zero-G hose.
I bought one about a month ago and love it.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:59 PM   #25

City: port orchard, wa
Vessel Name: skybird
Vessel Model: skookum/one off
on my anchor washdown, fish cleaning water source, coupla yrs ago, the valve i put thru the wood/fiberglass covered pilothouse wall, at the bottom close to the deck, many yrs ago, went south, clogged with salt, etc, i did what i should have done first! i put a brass pipe on the outside, to connect the hose to, and on the inside, a hose barb to connect the hose from the pump to!i made it long enuf so i could put a large washer, with a narrow nut on each side, to hold the setup in place. now there is`nt a valve for the water to go thru, just a straight flow! what a difference in flow/pressure...clyde
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #26
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Speaking of wash down hoses, after 22 years the Scandvik wash down sprayer on our swim step cracked and leaks now. What do you know, identical model is still avalable after all these years, although with an improved cap design. $42. Finally, I don't have to force or retrofit a different replacement. Thanks Scandvik, whoever you are.Click image for larger version

Name:	10750_500.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	94052
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:52 PM   #27
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
What am I missing? As cheap as the plastic ends are take a $10.00 bill and buy five of these and when one craps out replace it. Cheapest thing on a boat to replace except for TP.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:31 PM   #28
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Go to ACE hardware, explain your problem and walkout with the part in hand.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:12 AM   #29
Guru

Coincidentally, after my own and all the other high praise on here about Zero G hoses, I had the first one blow out on me last night. Only about a month old, laying across the driveway, evening, not in the hot sun or anything. Kapow, big geyser, spontaneously split about a foot long starting at the end fitting. Blew the inner tube and the seam on the nylon covering. The hunt for the perfect hose continues.

(Yes, five year warrantee but who has time in life to goof around chasing a replacement garden hose.)
Old 09-26-2019, 10:50 AM   #30

City: Milford
Vessel Name: Squeeze
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
Just replaced the end of my hose but got part from hardware store and it works but sometimes leaks. Heat shrink the just where the hose and the brass come together? Seems like a great idea.
Blazys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:11 PM   #31
Guru

Just had another Zero G hose blowout. Pain in the neck. Click image for larger version

Name:	20191009_215426.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	95129
Old 10-10-2019, 01:01 AM   #32
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
What am I missing? As cheap as the plastic ends are take a $10.00 bill and buy five of these and when one craps out replace it.
Works for me.
Nearest hardware store is a couple of hours away by boat and car rental or uber, so easily $100.
Pays to have parts parts and then some more parts.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:30 AM   #33

City: Fayetteville, NC
Vessel Name: Dirty Deeds
Vessel Model: Maritimo 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Coincidentally, after my own and all the other high praise on here about Zero G hoses, I had the first one blow out on me last night. Only about a month old, laying across the driveway, evening, not in the hot sun or anything. Kapow, big geyser, spontaneously split about a foot long starting at the end fitting. Blew the inner tube and the seam on the nylon covering. The hunt for the perfect hose continues.

(Yes, five year warrantee but who has time in life to goof around chasing a replacement garden hose.)
My first Zero G blew the fitting off the first time I tried to use it. Got a replacement at no cost. No problems with the replacement or the other two that I've purchased for home use.
ABfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:47 AM   #34

City: Corpus Christi
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: 1990 Californian/Carver 48 MY
zero G fix

I saw a post about using heat shrink tubing to fix a zero G and thought I would give it a try. First, I've fixed zeroG with standard 1/2 hose fittings. You can get the rubber hose part over the 5/8 - 3/4 hose fittings but I can't get the cover over that size so I have to use the 1/2 size. I ran the rubber part over the 1/2 hose fitting that had standard anchor heat shrink tubing on it. Heated the heat shrink tubing down a tight as I could get it and let it cool. Sure looked nice but didn't provide any clamping power to speak of. The rubber hose pulled right off. Also, I worked to get the cover over the heat shrink tubing and after a little while gave up. I just could not get the cover over it. The fit between cover and rubber tubing is tight. I gave up and just put the fitting on. It was worth a try and great idea that just didn't work out Check out the pictures

The Brockerts
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0331.jpg   IMG_0332.jpg   IMG_0333.jpg   IMG_0334.jpg   IMG_0335.jpg  

IMG_0336.jpg   IMG_0337.jpg   IMG_0338.jpg  
The Brockerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #35
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
I too had a self-coiling hose (as seen on TV). I left it pressurized over night and developed a significant leak. I tossed it and bought the regular plastic hose. I still have a brand new, never used self-coiling hose, 'just in case.'

Brockerets, yea yea, you are bragging about your on-board vise. I am considering building a removable piping system over the main engine and then a bench on top to mount a vise LOL
Necessity maybe the mother of invention, but I think Murphy is the father of screwing up and bad ideals, most of which can be mighty expensive.
(still designing it in my feeble mind, next step, building it out of pipe and if that works out, take the frame up to my 'stainless man' for the big bucks construction.)
Old 10-15-2019, 07:15 PM   #36
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Aruna
Vessel Model: Kristen Yachts 50 Pilot House
Quote:
Every now and then I am fast, but usually slow... Nice to hear someone else had a good experience with the zero-G hose.
Hoses are my nemesis. I fight them all the time, they always win. I bought two Zero-G's 2 years ago, and that fight ended. I absolutely love them, even though they are slightly smaller inside diameter wise than a standard hose. I will never change again, the battle is over.
stevemitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:28 PM   #37
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Seems like some love and some hate the Zero G hose. I guess there is no real conclusion.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:53 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Seems like some love and some hate the Zero G hose. I guess there is no real conclusion.
What’s different about that???
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:45 PM   #39
Guru

If they would only stop blowing out, I'd still like the ZeroG best. I did just throw away an otherwise good condition Stanley FatMax "exojacket" hose because the darn thing kinked so much and so badly it wasn't worth keeping even as a spare. Irritated the daylights out of me.Click image for larger version

Name:	51a%2B2GyDLfL._AC_SY400_.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	95392
Old 10-16-2019, 10:54 PM   #40
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Quote:
Put me in the love ‘em category. We’ve been using two pretty regularly for almost three years. No problems so far, and they are so much easier to stow in a locker than plastic hoses.

BTW, if one does burst, I know how to fix it like brand new with no tools other than a car: take the sucker back to Lowe’s.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote