Best Dock Cushions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat T

Vessel Name
Moondance
Vessel Make
Grand Banks CL 42
Looking to make it easier to dock by installing dock cushions, as opposed to throwing the fenders out. So many choices. Recommendations and why?

Good plan. Fenders only get in the way docking in a tight spot. They bind, roll up, or bounce you back away from the dock.

My favorite dock fendering is old-fashioned fire hose. Even better if you can attach it like a sideways "S" pattern; screw in a spot, then bunch it up to stick out a bit before screwing in the next spot.

But of course the marine stores are full of other, albeit pricier, options. The goal is to avoid scratching or other damage while docking, so in many places a strip with a "P" shaped profile works great. You can spend even more and get the little wheels for the corner of the dock or finger if you tend to use that as a pivot point.

What I don't like to see is a row of regular fenders or balls. I already mentioned the "bounce" factor, but they'll also get marine growth on them which can leave marks or scratches on the boat.

That's all just one person's opinion. You might want to walk the docks and see what works for others in your marina.

Agree with Nomar. Great product and great company. Makes our return to home port very easy.

Look at Nomar fenders.

i just met the owners of that company this weekend. really nice folks and their fenders are all over their docks at fair harbor. i didn't realize they owned the fender company too, until i followed your link.

Back
Top Bottom