Old 11-28-2017, 03:14 PM   #1
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
The Away Setting

I have three Technicold 16,000 BTU units on my boat. There is a setting for "away" that is supposed to control the relative humidity.

In SW Florida this time of the year we are in the low 80's for highs and the upper 60's for lows.

When I am "away" should I run all three units or will one handle the job?

In the dead of summer I run all three in the cool only mode...setting the raised pilot house a couple of degrees warmer than the stateroom and salon whether we are away or not.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:30 PM   #2
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Perhaps they should be on the "Aweigh" setting.

Sorry Seasalt - I couldn't help myself.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:05 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Perhaps they should be on the "Aweigh" setting.

Sorry Seasalt - I couldn't help myself.
Indeed!
Old 11-28-2017, 09:30 PM   #4
Guru

City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
I would run all 3 on the “away” setting. The run time and energy use should be minimal, and it will help avoid moisture and mold. Using all 3 will give better air movement throughout the boat (when running) and that helps avoid moisture and mold.
guy with a boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:53 PM   #5
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
I have four units, one in each cabin down below, and one in the PH and one in the Salon.

I put one cabin on HU and the Salon on HU. That does the job.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:33 AM   #6
FF
Guru

ITS WINTER ,in Florida, the dry season , a minor amount of ventilation and the boat will not grow green walls.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:38 AM   #7
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
ITS WINTER ,in Florida, the dry season , a minor amount of ventilation and the boat will not grow green walls.
Actually this is our rainy season.

It is the less humid season.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:49 AM   #8
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Turn the Air Conditioners off when you are away from the boat. Use a couple of small dehumidifiers instead. It will save you money in power consumption and maintenance on your AC systems, notably pumps, strainers and coils.

Also, you won't be pumping raw water through the boat 24/7 while you are not on board. Admittedly, this is pretty safe if you system is in good shape, but still, why do it if you don't have to.

Two little EVA-Drys do a great job on my boat all year round in Stuart.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:34 PM   #9
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I use a dehumidifier dripping into the galley sink/overboard. It has worked well for years now. It is a fairly large unit so we take it off the boat when we go for a cruise.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:48 PM   #10
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I agree with Steve W and Doug, get yourself a couple of small dehumidifiers, like Eva Dry and set them up to drain in a sink. You'll need to get creative adding drain lines. I used aquarium air hose and just stuck it into a hole I drilled into the tank. Didn't even need to seal it.

I also recommend you get a hygrometer so you can tell if the dehumidifiers are working. You are shooting for humidity in the low sixties.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:58 PM   #11
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I also use two Eva Dry dehumidifiers. Don’t like running the AC when away with a raw water leak possible. Seems to work well— my walls aren’t green.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:20 PM   #12
Guru

City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
Are you guys familiar with the dehumidifier function of a marine AC unit? Mine runs 15 minutes every 12 hours. I'm assuming the "away" setting the OP asked about is similar. There is no "running 24/7".

Most equipment on boats last longer if regularly used. I'm confident mine will last longer and have fewer problems if I leave it on than if I shut it down and let it sit. Plus, it keeps the inside of the boat ventilated and dry. Seems silly to me to shut down an optimal system and then rely on supplemental dehumidifiers that won't be as effective and are another thing to store and manage. Boats are hard to keep free of mildew and odors and moisture is a big factor.

My boat is 13 years old. The original AC is going strong and the interior has no mildew or odors. Do what works for you.
guy with a boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:11 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy with a boat View Post
Are you guys familiar with the dehumidifier function of a marine AC unit? Mine runs 15 minutes every 12 hours. I'm assuming the "away" setting the OP asked about is similar. There is no "running 24/7".

Most equipment on boats last longer if regularly used. I'm confident mine will last longer and have fewer problems if I leave it on than if I shut it down and let it sit. Plus, it keeps the inside of the boat ventilated and dry. Seems silly to me to shut down an optimal system and then rely on supplemental dehumidifiers that won't be as effective and are another thing to store and manage. Boats are hard to keep free of mildew and odors and moisture is a big factor.
I have one of the old Dry Air Systems stainless steel dehumidifiers. I has worked well since I bought it in the mid 90's for more than $300. It drains into a sink and still works quite well. Mermaid makes a similar one https://www.mmair.com/marine-division/dehumidifier/

The downside is that it is heavy and I don't want to carry it off the boat every time I get underway.

I am going to try the "away" setting for a while and see what happens. I pay a flat rate for electricity so I can go back to all three running 24/7 if need be.