atwood LG gas range

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KEVMAR

Vessel Name
Delphina
Vessel Make
President 43
My oven which was installed in Oct 2012 .... The top burners are fine stay lite and function properly. the oven lights but does not stay on .. It stayed on for about an half hour set at 250 but when I went to check the meal the flame had gone out . when I tried to relight it, the pilot lit but shut down when i moved the knob to the 250 ... what could be going on???? Thank you for your advice....

Check to make sure that the thermocouple that holds the pilot light on is well in the path of the pilot's flame. A thermocouple is a short probe that is heated by the pilot's flame and holds the gas supply on as long as it is heated. If it is not getting enough heat because it has become bent, it will shut the gas off.

You also have to hold the gas knob down for about 5-10 seconds after you light the pilot to let it heat up. You may have been releasing it too soon.

David

Following on what David said, you can bend the ThermoCouple holder, to get the TC right in the flame, then it will heat up properly and not cool down when you have the oven on a lower setting. Get a mirror on a stick to properly see how it is situated.

atwwod oven

Could it be the Thermostat?? I will also check the thermocouple ...

Old pilot light guts get sticky, we light ours with, and plenty of heat. a propane torch.

They can also grow a carbon pimple , or simply plug inside.

Be sure the adjustment for the pilot flame gives a generous sized flame.

The gas regulator at the tank can also get sticky and not be happy with minor gas flow.

A few taps with the handle of a hammer sometimes helps.

See if the oven works OK with a top burner on.

Last edited:
How close does the thermocouple have to be near the pilot?

"How close does the thermocouple have to be near the pilot?"

Kevmar:

It has to get hot enough to open the flow of fuel to the pilot flame. Then it has to stay open. To do that, it has to stay hot, so must be right beside, or IN the flame.

thanks , the thermocoupler is about, I bet 8mm about the pilot I will adjust and see what happens thanks ,,,,

how do you adjust the flame size as mine looks abit small?? I have an atwood RV 2133

I have never seen a flame adjustment for a pilot on anything: home gas water heater, propane stove, you name it. There is an adjustment for the main flame, but it isn't size, it is air/fuel ratio. Typically this is a cylinder built in to the burner after the gas orifice and before the flame. You slide the cylinder fore and aft to open or close the cut outs to let more air in. You adjust it for a clean, blue flame.

And to the question about where the pilot flame has to be relative to the thermocouple. The thermocouple needs to be a bit high (since heat rises) and be surrounded by flame.

David

Back
Top Bottom