Anyone here substituted Ocean Breeze condenser for Cruisair ? I just bought one and

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dune

Vessel Make
Viking 65 CP MY (run at trawler speeds !)
am mystified by how to wire it ! Replacing what is probably a 1993 vintage Cruisair 12K BTU condenser with new (but can use R22) Ocean Breeze 12K reverse cycle (a/c and heat capable) condenser.

The OB unit was supposed to be compatible with my original SMX control, but I cut the stretch wrap on the thing today, open up the electrical box and no instructions, no wiring diagram... nothing.

Very different inside than the Cruisair electrical box....the Cruisair box has a complex electronic board which appears to connect to various things the OB doesn't even have....(overheat thermocouple for example) plus that board won't fit in the OB box even if I tried to transfer it.

In doing a search here it looks like the OB is meant to use a standard home type thermostat...is that why it is so simple inside compared to the Cruisair ?

Looking at the wiring diagram for the Cruisair, on the electronic board alone there are 11 wires that go to the SMX control and 2 that go to a low pressure switch, 2 that go to high pressure switch.

Other than that board, there are connections for the compressor, transformer, relay....all sorts of things, like for turning on the water pump.

In contrast, the OB unit has a 2 terminal connector labeled "compressor" (220 volt unit), one terminal labeled "rev. valve", and one terminal labeled "ground"...and that's it !

There is a mutifunction relay with T1 thru T6 terminals but only T1 and T6 have available connectors..all others on that relay are already wired (to the start and run capacitors, and the compressor power terminal in)

Last edited:
When I first read your post, I thought he is replacing just the condenser coil.

But it seems you replacing the entire condenser and compressor, then entire thing except the evaporator and copper tubing and you want to use the SMX Cruisair controls?

I have the old style 3 switch Cruisair control. It is indeed simple, a few wires, reversing wire, power to the water pump, power to the compressor.
The ground is by way of the copper tubing.

Google SMX control wiring to convert from old style 3 switch off-start-run to research this,

Last edited:
When I first read your post, I thought he is replacing just the condenser coil.

But it seems you replacing the entire condenser and compressor, then entire thing except the evaporator and copper tubing and you want to use the SMX Cruisair controls?

I have the old style 3 switch Cruisair control. It is indeed simple, a few wires, reversing wire, power to the water pump, power to the compressor.
The ground is by way of the copper tubing.

Google SMX control wiring to convert from old style 3 switch off-start-run to research this,
Don't recall the names that Cruisair invented for these but in normal HVAC talk concerning the usual split system, a "condenser" is the coil, reversing valve and compressor. unit.... and the squirrel cage fan plus cooling coil is the "air handler"

So yes, by "condenser" I mean the unit with the compressor, cooling tubes, electrical box, reversing valve, etc. From further reading I am getting the impression these OB units were meant for the ancient 3 knob controls....but I'm basically in the dark until I get the manual they forgot to include with it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom