Old 03-01-2014, 03:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: FREEDOM
Vessel Model: 40 BLUEWATER PILOTHOUSE TRAWLER
Anybody have issues with a Brower Systems Davit Crane?

I'm in the market to buy a used davit crane and want to make sure there are no hidden surprises. I'm sure the material/craftsmanship is good, but have there ever been any issues with the hoisting winch? I'm currently looking at the EC 600 and 800 electric models. Any info or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh
Capt. JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. JB View Post
I'm in the market to buy a used davit crane and want to make sure there are no hidden surprises. I'm sure the material/craftsmanship is good, but have there ever been any issues with the hoisting winch? I'm currently looking at the EC 600 and 800 electric models. Any info or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh
I installed a 600 unit in 2001. When I purchased it they didn't have any 600 unit motors in stock. So I was somewhat pleased when it arrived with a 800 unit motor. It was rather fortuitous as I ended up using it to lift a 14'Nouvurania with a 50hp Honda. It weighed about 850#. The crane has run with absolutely no problems. This year I am going to change the cable and service the motor for the first time.
Hope this helps

Mark

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Vessel Name: FREEDOM
Vessel Model: 40 BLUEWATER PILOTHOUSE TRAWLER
I noticed you are in Canada, is there a shop that services those hoisting motors? I heard that most of the motors/parts built for davit cranes were made by Rule, and discontinued their whole production line (newest stuff is hydraulic). I'll called Brower and I'm waiting for a reply, but I want to get as much info on parts/service before I buy something used.

Thanks again for the reply!

-Josh
Capt. JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #4
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
I purchased it directly from Brower. They came and did the install.
Any industrial motor repair facility worth it's salt can service the motor, or check with your local starter repair shop.
It is a stand motor and gearbox that just bolts into the frame.
Its basic and simple to service.

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:51 PM   #5

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Theory
Vessel Model: Offshore
I have a WC1000 that came with the boat. Somehow the nylon shims/spacers/bearing at the head of the ram went missing before I bought the boat. I discovered the problem when metal shavings started coming out. Disassembly revealed the nylon cheek plates on the hook end of the ram are missing.

Anyone know where parts may be available for this ram. I believe the manufacturer is out of business.

Thanks in advance!
airlinebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:42 PM   #6
Guru

City: West Coast
Some Browers (like mine, don't remember the model number, but it is rated for 1600 pounds) are all hydraulic. I have never had any problem with mine.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:24 AM   #7
Guru

Vessel Name: Aquarius
Vessel Model: Californian 55 CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
I installed a 600 unit in 2001. When I purchased it they didn't have any 600 unit motors in stock. So I was somewhat pleased when it arrived with a 800 unit motor. It was rather fortuitous as I ended up using it to lift a 14'Nouvurania with a 50hp Honda. It weighed about 850#. The crane has run with absolutely no problems. This year I am going to change the cable and service the motor for the first time.
Hope this helps

Mark

I know this is an old post but I am looking to replace my Brower/Rule winch. I considered the Warn DC800 but thought it might be too weak to lift my 700lb Caribe 12. Sounds like if you are talking about the Warn 800, it will work for me.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:08 PM   #8
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I have never seen a drop in replacement for the rule. Modifications are going to be required. Do lots of research.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:01 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
I know this is an old post but I am looking to replace my Brower/Rule winch. I considered the Warn DC800 but thought it might be too weak to lift my 700lb Caribe 12. Sounds like if you are talking about the Warn 800, it will work for me.
I too have a Caribe 12. With its usual load of gas, oar, anchor, fire extinguisher, fenders, boarding ladder, electronics, battery, flares, polish, cushions, etc, my best guess is that it is at least 750#. To top that off, I frequent find myself in the dinghy, while it is suspended in the davits.
A warn 800 gives you less than a 10% margin of safety. I wouldn't be happy with that. I would go for a 1000# rating at least.
Old 04-20-2020, 02:00 PM   #10
Guru

I'm going to post this in a couple places because others have and will be going through this. My Brower Davit is both hydraulic (boom) and electric (winch) The winch/hoist is a Rule T33 rated at 3300 lb as a winch. My Caribe 12 is almost 800lbs. It has been working for the last 2 years. Recently it didn't want to bring the Caribe all the way up. I believed the motor was dying. I took it apart and it looked beautiful inside. Humm. Ok, lets call rulewinchparts.com. Well they don't want to work anymore. They said find a replacement. So the Warn DC800 hoist uses the same bolt pattern and fits in my davit but the gear box is on the opposite side. Also, it was rated just a little better than the Rule T33 so I looked for something stronger. The Warn DC1000 is too big but the DC1000 short spool fits great. So I just drilled three new holes centered through the top of the davit. When done carefully (we were just lucky) the gear box will be flush to where the Rule ended and the motor side does not even protrude as far. Now I have the power I need. Very happy with this replacement.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:12 PM   #11

City: San Clemente
Vessel Name: Victoria
Vessel Model: Mikelson 50
I will be replacing the winch/hoist in my Brower 1000 davit. I'm leaning toward the Warn VRX4500 winch because of the capacity, it's waterproof, and it'll fit with reasonable modification to the davit but I wonder about the braking capability. The other option is the DC1000 as noted in this thread. My tender, with motor and "stuff", weighs around 800 lbs. Any input would be appreciated. Also, for Ricky D, I am in Dana Point and would very much like to see some photos of your modifications. Thank you
Chip Prather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:52 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Prather View Post
I will be replacing the winch/hoist in my Brower 1000 davit. I'm leaning toward the Warn VRX4500 winch because of the capacity, it's waterproof, and it'll fit with reasonable modification to the davit but I wonder about the braking capability. The other option is the DC1000 as noted in this thread. My tender, with motor and "stuff", weighs around 800 lbs. Any input would be appreciated. Also, for Ricky D, I am in Dana Point and would very much like to see some photos of your modifications. Thank you
All I had to do was to drill three holes in the proper location and the DC1000 fit perfectly. But it had to be the short spool version.[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0537.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	110734[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0536.jpg  
Old 11-29-2020, 02:13 PM   #13

Thank you! My winch sits vertically (no holes for gear box or motor). After I speak with Warn about which product will work (VRX4500 or DC1000) I’ll find a fabricator to modify the davit. I have photos of one done by Brower just before they shutdown.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:28 PM   #14
Guru

Chip, give me a call 310 962 0565
Old 03-25-2021, 07:40 PM   #15

Update

Update: after getting some feedback on this forum and, for the most part, running out of viable options to keep my Brower 1000 davit functioning, I undertook a rebuild. The pictures tell a better, and briefer, story. Fabrication and powder coating were done by a local shop that does considerable yacht commissioning and stainless work for the marine community for $1500. Amazon provided the Warn DC1000 short drum hoist ($490) and a Quick controller $120), with 45’ of 1/4” Amsteel coming from a nearby West Marine ($63) - total price was less than $2200. Very pleased with the workmanship, price and outcome.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2021, 05:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Bonita Springs FL & Norwalk, CT
Vessel Name: "At Last" and "Coquina Cat"
Vessel Model: 48’ Offshore Yachtfish and 27' Glacier Bay
Thanks for the very helpful infomation.
Capt. Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 03:47 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. JB View Post
I noticed you are in Canada, is there a shop that services those hoisting motors? I heard that most of the motors/parts built for davit cranes were made by Rule, and discontinued their whole production line (newest stuff is hydraulic). I'll called Brower and I'm waiting for a reply, but I want to get as much info on parts/service before I buy something used.

Thanks again for the reply!

-Josh
As far as I know they are out of business. I talked to them when my Rule 3300 died. I didn’t get much help. I spoke with the old owner as I had his mobile number from years ago. I had his old retired mechanic out who did the installation on my boat without much help. A Warn DC1000 did fit with some new mounting holes drilled.
RickyD is offline   Reply With Quote