Old 10-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
TJM

City: Essex, Ct.
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: 1982 41' President
Any diesel heaters in Ct ??

Hello:
Newbie here. I have been following the discussion about diesel heaters and pellet stoves. I have purchased the Propane Dickinson newport heater for my forward cabin but now I am looking for my main salon and aft cabins.
I am a Live aboard and want to move away from electric heat as it is metered at my marina in Essex, Ct.
I carry 420 gallons of diesel so that is an easy fuel source. I also have an upper enclosed flybridge for dry pellet storage over the winter. Hauling around 40 pound bags is not an issue for the wife and I.

I would love to see a diesel "fireplace" working. I would be able to drive as far north as Mass or as far south as New Jersey. I think talking with a user would solve some anxiety.
The local salesman have been unable to give me a warm fuzzy by showing me one working. I am not fond of the "trust me" technique. We have seen Refleks and Dickinsons.

My boat insurance is Ok with either method. On the pellet stove, they are more concerned that it be installed in accordance with ABYC standards. I told them it was putting a hole in my roof for the venting stack and plugging the unit in. They chuckled

Can anybody help me ?
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
FF
Guru

Most of the diesel heaters and many of the fuel oil fired ranges are only 16,000-20,000 BTU .

This will not be enough heat for the cold winter storms but might do it 90% of the time.

Glass area is a killer the stick on shrink tight clear window covers from a box store will help immensely .
Do inside and out.

The first snow storm go outside and see the snow melt from the poorly insulated areas.

Frequently floor rugs are a big help, bathroom carpet can be cut with no edging required and tossed in a big washing machine as needed.

The CT River will ice up , make sure overboard discharges are above orb well below the WL.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
You might be interested in

itrheat.com

They have several different BTU sizes, we have the Hurricane 40,000 BTU (or so) model
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
TJM

City: Essex, Ct.
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: 1982 41' President
Just to give an update and pass on some of what I learned. My Insurance carrier (boatus) had a real issue with the pellet stove so I abandoned that path. The unit was not ABYC approved. Not going to open that can of worms.................
I made a decision to go with a Laser 60AT from Toyotomi. It is a Diesel fired heater that looks like a fireplace. Thermostat controlled, programmable heat settings day - night etc.... up to 30,000 BTU's, over temp protection and the air intake / exhaust is a tube in a tube design that can depart the boat sideways thru a bulkhead, no chimney stack up thru the roof and uses a small amount of 120 VAC to power the internal blowers and the automatic ignition system.
The unit is a DIY style with gravity feed fuel delivery system.
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote