Old 09-20-2009, 01:40 AM   #41
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
RE: anchor chain/gypsy size

Is anybody using a drum type self storing hydraulic winch like those aboard west coast Trollers? I
have seen them with chain and wire rope combos and they seem perfect for many of these types of boats. I talked to a company on the west coast(manufacturer) and if I recall, It was around $1400 for the 40-50' boat version. Of course it would require a hydraulic pump. The wire rope is very inexpensive and this may solve several stowage problems. I don't know if you could stow
enough chain to have all chain set up. If I remember correctly, George Buehler talks about them in "The Troller Book".
A custom welded set up could probably be assembled from easily obtained parts also(think Northern Hydraulics). Whad da ya think?
Jack
Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:35 PM   #42
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Jack,

Like you say they are very popular up here w the fishing fleet. I don't recall seeing a fish boat without one. They use cable/chain, rope/nylon and all chain. They build them to hold any amount of rope or chain you want. About 2/3rds use rope and chain and the rest use all chain and a few use cable. These drum winches look heavy but they are not being made out of mostly aluminum so how much the thing weighs is determined by the rode they carry. They don't look yachty enough for most yachts and I think they are more like 3,000 dollars. I know where one is that came off an old gillnetter for a bit under $1000 here on the island. Probably be had for less as it's still in his yard.

www.kolstrand@msn.com - 206 784 2500 - Seattle WA

www.kinematicsmarine.com 360 659 5415 - Marrysville WA

Eric Henning
Attached Thumbnails
sakar river (20).jpg  
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:06 PM   #43
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl

Eric
I may have had my prices wrong. I do believe it was Kinematics marine that I talked to.
When the time comes Ill search and find one. Surely it will raise eyebrows on a Florida boat. I'll just have to tell people it is a manatee recovery apparatus!
Jack
Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:52 AM   #44
FF
Guru

One hassle with a drum is as line is stored , the working diameter increases , reducing the power of the unit.

With hyd probably no problem ,
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:01 PM   #45
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Hi again Fred,
I'm following you around eh? Yeah** ..* I've asked numerous fishermen about that* perceving the problem and they say the wide range of speeds the hyd motor will run and the high torque available (most of those things are direct drive) it seems to make it not a problem. And Jack** ..* if you do find one for $1400 let me know.

Eric Henning
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:58 AM   #46
FF
Guru

if you do find one for $1400 let me know.

As always Boats and Harbors will come thru , perhaps for 1/2 of that.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote