Old 04-18-2021, 04:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Dania Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Godspeed
Vessel Model: Bruno Stillman 42
AC looses prime when underway

Seems to happen when i am in any bit of a sea. 3 foot sea and it stops working. Any suggestions?? Sending this message while underway...
Sykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:59 PM   #2
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Not uncommon. Those pumps lose their prime easily. Apparently a bit of air is getting into the intake.

On one boat I had, a planing hull, I put a "T" in the pump intake, with a pipe straight up well above the waterline and a cheap plastic ball valve at the top. Whenever it lost prime, I'd open the valve to release the air.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:16 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Certainly common enough. As said you can put in a priming valve to make it easier to reprime.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:21 PM   #4
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Mine has that problem, mostly 3-4'+ seas. My solution was to put a switch on the lower helm that when "ON" the pump runs continuously, not cycling with demand from the AC's. The fix works.

When the AC's cycled off, it would get a little air with each wave, then when it restarted it had a mouthful of air. If on continuous, it can handle a little air with each wave.

The switch also makes it easier to reprime, the AC's can be off but pump on.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:52 PM   #5
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I did two things. One was to add a forward facing scoop to the exterior of the hull. Two was to add a Yandina bubble extractor after the pump BubbleOut.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:55 PM   #6
STB
Guru

City: Gulf coast
My own preference would be to move the intake farther back (but not so far back that the props cause a problem) and to use a forward facing scoop (if it isn't what is there now) to give it some assist and avoid any suction when the water is passing by fast.

Basically, I'd want to locate the intake away from air, protect it from suction, and give it some help getting water in to widen the tolerances.

Adding things like valves and air traps may help, but my own preferences is to avoid adding parts. There is an old saying in software, "Novice programmers add corrective code; experienced programmers remove defective code." Increasingly, I've been trying to apply the idea, a.k.a. "The KISS principle", to my boat.
STB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:34 PM   #7
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Yes, a good once-over of the whole system should identify any weaknesses in the design. Obviously in an ideal world these would be engineered away.

Personally, I'm OK drilling one less hole in my boat, and using a priming valve. Funny thing, I'm dealing with this right now on one of my air conditioner intakes. It's a massive 1-1/2" seacock, reduced down for the A/C, and it's not in a great location. I'll be making improvements, but for the seacock I'm stuck with what I've got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
I did two things. One was to add a forward facing scoop to the exterior of the hull. Two was to add a Yandina bubble extractor after the pump BubbleOut.
OK, I had to check it out:

OMG that's just an "air can," AKA high-vent, for a hydronic heating system. $14 at Lowes.

Even in the fresh, nearly oxygen-free water of a home heating system, these things fail within a few years. I can't imagine putting them in a salt water system. I don't know what the attachment on top is, so I'll defer any further judgement.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote