ABT Stabilizers - Customer Survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky Chucky

Vessel Name
L'Eau Vive
Vessel Make
Bayliner
Captains,

ABT Stabilizers - do you love them or not? Do you like their tech support or not? Design pros/cons?

Please reply...

~Lucky Chucky
m/y Ho'okipa
S4326

Love the stabilizers, as well as their thrusters.

Support is second to none. I consider it the Gold Standard in the marine industry.

Everything about the products is exceptionally well engineered, and exceptionally well built.

Are you considering adding them to your Seline? There is a Seline 50 in the yard I just left that is having them added. I was just checking it out yesterday.

May I ask what model of ABT stabilizer you have and when did you install it?

May I ask what model of ABT stabilizer you have and when did you install it?

I’m on my third ABT system. First were I think 220s on Grand Banks 47. I installed them myself in about 2010.

The second set were 250s and were part of the original build.

The latest are 370s and also part of the original boat build.

MVTanglewood,

Your TF history and current posting is super impressive...however, from my understanding Wesmar recently purchased ABT...

If my sources are correct, I can personally attest to several design flaws in the ABT stabelizer...Plus, their product paper for information support is at best 50% accurate...plus, in my experience, in the last 2 years their tech support has gone from great to...not to be snarky, "are you serious or have you a lapse of judgement?"

Since I may have a legal claim for damages against them, we should take this conversation off the TF...

~Lucky Chucky out

Ours work well and have no issues.

Support by ABT TRAC has been truly exceptional, though nothing hands-on has been required in the past 18 months or so.

Parts support (including recent) has been expeditious (I am collecting spare parts for travel afar).

I attended ABT TRAC training at the factory for owners/operators. The training was first class (I attend classes several times per year at a minimum), with logical presentations and a live hydraulic lab. They were cordial hosts and even catered lunch. There was no cost for the training.

I am the third owner of our system, and have been treated by ABT TRAC like I spent 100k with them.

In 2017, Roger Fellows purchased Wesmar. In 2020, he purchased ABT. However, it seems to me all news from ABT sort of died in 2019. The news on their website stops with 2019. The company history stops with 2015. Now, some good companies ignore their website but all this combined with the sale sure indicates some issues at play over recent years. While I've never had an ABT product, I've always heard good things about them. So, I just wonder what has transpired.

As to Lucky Chucky, you brought the discussion here and Twisted opposed an opinion opposite yours and one you don't like it seems. I don't really like the deceptive nature as you posted asking for opinions as if considering them and then only later declare they are defective and you may be suing them. While I do suspect issues the last couple of years, I don't feel your approach to the topic was appropriate and now you want to take it off board. Once again, you're the one who put it on board.

Do you want to discuss your issues with ABT or not?

MVTanglewood,

Your TF history and current posting is super impressive...however, from my understanding Wesmar recently purchased ABT...

If my sources are correct, I can personally attest to several design flaws in the ABT stabelizer...Plus, their product paper for information support is at best 50% accurate...plus, in my experience, in the last 2 years their tech support has gone from great to...not to be snarky, "are you serious or have you a lapse of judgement?"

Since I may have a legal claim for damages against them, we should take this conversation off the TF...

~Lucky Chucky out

Wesmar did not buy ABT. BandB got it right. Roger Fellows first bought Wesmar and then bought ABT, so the two companies have a common owner. There is some overlap between the two companies, but a lot that isn't. I actually just spent a few hours with Roger last week. He came to see my boat, talk about the companies, etc. I was quite impressed, and think ABT is in good hands, and that Wesmar is in much better hands than it was before, and likely to improve in areas where they have had issues.

When you talk about design flaws, I'd be interested to know more. Are you talking about Wesmar products or ABT products. It's important not to blend them.

I also don't understand your statement that "if my sources are correct, I can personally attest to.." You can either personally attest to something, as in all my ABT experience, or you can pass on hearsay from other sources. They are quite different.

1.5 years ago, I purchased Wesmar Stabs to replace my aging Vospers. Due to size, my options were limited - I would have gladly bought ABT if possible. Wesmar product is decent. My experience with Wesmar support has been truly awful.

To the OP: after considerable research, yours is the first blemish I've seen on ABT. I agree with BandB - if you've got a gripe, lay it out. If you've got an inquiry, ask away. But your approach has a certain passive aggressive patina that says more about you than ABT

TT: if ABT now has the same owner as Wesmar had 2 years ago, I consider that a bad thing. At best neutral, at least for ABT. The customer service issues I encountered at Wesmar were systemic, not transactional. FYI - I reached out to Roger Fellows three times and received nothing in response. I realize one small set of stabilizers won't make or break their year, but stil....

Peter

Last edited:
Just curious. Does any of this have to do with Nordhavn flipping to Humphrees in the most recent models? Or just the desire to go electric?

Last edited:
1.5 years ago, I purchased Wesmar Stabs to replace my aging Vospers. Due to size, my options were limited - I would have gladly bought ABT if possible. Wesmar product is decent. My experience with Wesmar support has been truly awful.

To the OP: after considerable research, yours is the first blemish I've seen on ABT. I agree with BandB - if you've got a gripe, lay it out. If you've got an inquiry, ask away. But your approach has a certain passive aggressive patina that says more about you than ABT

TT: if ABT now has the same owner as Wesmar had 2 years ago, I consider that a bad thing. At best neutral, at least for ABT. The customer service issues I encountered at Wesmar were systemic, not transactional. FYI - I reached out to Roger Fellows three times and received nothing in response. I realize one small set of stabilizers won't make or break their year, but stil....

Peter

Your story is one I relayed to Roger, along with my experience trying to buy a sonar from Wesmar. I'm sorry to hear he wasn't helpful, but as you figured, the problems probably ran a lot deeper than just your case, and will take some time to correct. I believe buying ABT was part of the fix.

Captains,

Thank you for the replies. I am gathering information and appreciate any and all comments - good or bad.

My issues with ABT may be an anomaly, but I don't believe so.

I have been advised by my lawyers to gather information, but not to say anything that may set up a counterclaim.

If my dispute with ABT evolves into litigation, I will share that information when appropiate.

With all due respect, Lucky Chucky out.

Just curious. Does any of this have to do with Nordhavn flipping to Humphrees in the most recent models? Or just the desire to go electric?

Humphree is aggressively trying to increase their stabilizer presence as they've been more in the realm of their Interceptors. We're on our first boat with Humphree right now and love the performance but clearly can say nothing yet as to their maintenance. I can't for the life of me picture Humphree and Nordhavn being a good match. Don't need fins designed for speed.

From the 51 spec sheet

Humphree with 0.6 sq.meter fins (6.46sq. Feet) 24vDC electric

Just as a data point, my 63 has ABT and they have been flawless to date. We have put several thousand miles on it including long open-water runs and they just work. My only customer service interaction has been to clarify scheduled maintenance, but I’ve been impressed with that also. I’ve not heard a legitimate complaint from anyone else with the setup. Customer satisfaction is high and overall reputation is excellent. Feel free to pass that along to your lawyer.

Any individual complaint may or may not be legitimate but you might be barking up the wrong tree if the goal is to uncover widespread problems and/or dissatisfied customers.

Any individual complaint may or may not be legitimate but you might be barking up the wrong tree if the goal is to uncover widespread problems and/or dissatisfied customers.

Not only is the OP barking up the wrong tree or pursuing a very unsuccessful effort to build his legal case, now he's opened a thread that could even be used against him if he started a case.

BandB, thank you.
Guy With A boat, thank you.

Reset - Captains,

ABT Stabilizers - do you love them or not? Do you like their tech support or not? Design pros/cons?

Please reply...

~Lucky Chucky
m/y Ho'okipa
S4326

BandB, thank you.
Guy With A boat, thank you.

Reset - Captains,

Please reply...

~Lucky Chucky
m/y Ho'okipa
S4326

No, lets do an honest reset if we're doing one. It reads:

Lucky Chucky considering suing ABT and looking for others who have had issues with them to help build his case. He's disappointed so far that others have talked favorably about ABT. Yet, he continues, but let's be clear that he's not just here looking for opinions, he's hear looking for support for his grievance.

Now, it's reset. Be honest up front.

BandB, thank you for your comments. Please stay off this thread. Thank you.

Last edited:
BandB, thank you for your comments. Please stay off this thread. Thank you.

No thank you. But I do feel now those coming into it will understand your purpose. Some may even help your case, but so far I'm only hearing negative about ABT from you.

Captains,

Please send any relevant comments to the first post query:

ABT Stabelizers - do you have any issues positive or negative?

Thank you.

~LC

Last edited:
Hope ABT reads this thread. Quite an endorsement. May encourage them to keep up the good work under its new ownership.
From people that I have reason to trust been told historically order has been
ABT
niaid
Wesmar
remain interested in Humphree and the direct electrical drive.

Robert Boehm @ ABT???

Man, you really want to dig. I really think this is inappropriate use of the forum. You originally asked what seemed to be a legitimate question, and you got a bunch of answers. But then you made it clear that your goal is to build a case against a vendor, and I really think that should be taken somewhere else.

MVTanglewood,

~Lucky Chucky out

I think you should take your own advice and do exactly that. The purpose of this site is not to mine information to build legal cases. Consider this particular case…CLOSED. As you were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom