3M “Prestige” window film test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Bucky
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Some years ago, I was approached by 3M with an offer on their heat reduction window film called “Prestige”. My pilot house, as you can see, is basically a greenhouse. I installed new windows about two years ago with the idea that I would add air conditionIng before we went cruising. With the new windows, the inside (windows closed) temperature on a 90° June day was 109 at waist level, and 113 at eye level. It was simply too hot to use A/C. A 9000 BTU floor unit running all day only made a two degree difference in the 8 x 12 space. I had to do something more. Maybe if I could reduce the temperature 10 degrees or so, an A/C might have a chance.

A knew a few of the new Krogen 52 and 58 owners who had the film installed, claiming great heat reduction so we went ahead with it. We used 20% tint on the windshield and two forward side windows, the 40% on everything aft of the pilothouse doors, 9 windows in all, about 75 sq. Ft.. cost for everything was $900.

I waited for a 90 degree day and checked out the temps. Keep in mind that this is not a closed, sterile laboratory, controlled environment situation. The comparisons are made with similar conditions of very little wind, bright sun at similar times of the year and hour of the day with outside temperature of 90 degrees. Here are the results:

-Before 3M film was applied, Pilothouse closed.

Outside temperature, 90 degrees F
Inside temperature at waistline, 109 degrees F
Inside temperature at eye level standing, 113 degrees F
Total temperature difference was 19 to 23 degrees F

-After 3M film was applied, Pilothouse closed

Outside temperature, 89.9 degrees F
Inside temperature at waistline, 95.5 degrees F
Inside temperature at eye level standing, 99.6 degrees F
Total temperature difference was 5.6 to 9.3 degrees F

This, for your info.

Attachments

• B6889233-157C-42D8-88BC-96970CDB1B08.jpg
    B6889233-157C-42D8-88BC-96970CDB1B08.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
In heavy spray how do you wipe the water off the plastic?

Night vision?

Larry, are you concerned about night vision through tinted glass, or is this not an issue for you regardless?

(I love your forward-raked pilothouse, btw. One of your innovations/modifications?)
Kate

In heavy spray how do you wipe the water off the plastic?

Fred: Maybe I should have mentioned that the film is placed on the inside of the window, so no exposure to salt.

Yes indeed window tinting can make an amazing difference in interior temperatures. We lived in Tucson, AZ for 30 years and first thing we did with a new car was have the windows tinted and the second thing was get a dash mat.

Larry, are you concerned about night vision through tinted glass, or is this not an issue for you regardless? (I love your forward-raked pilothouse, btw. One of your innovations/modifications?)
Kate

Kate: I thought a lot about the night vision too. It remains to be seen, but it would be a rare thing for us to be caught out after dark unless it was a Gulf Stream crossing. Otherwise, we have no plans to do night passages. The 20 percent tint looked pretty clear for fwd vision, and the eye straining glare (our most common complaint) was cut way down.

Our boat is one of a half-dozen North-Sea versions of the Manatee, which came with forward raked windshields and hard glass all around. Although I changed the size of the windows (hence, the aluminum surrounds), it was actually manufactured that way. There’s at least one other example running around here in FL. It wouldn't be difficult to modify the conventional windshield to a fwd-raked style, but the roof would need to be extended 3.5 ft.. Having already rebuilt and re-skinned this roof, I think it would be cheaper to build a new one. Lord knows, most of them probably need roof work of some kind.

Back
Top Bottom