1980 CHB fuel tank replacement process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CTP

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
HMS Crown (for the time being)
Vessel Make
34' CHB
Hi everyone,

I'm in process of buying a 1980 CHB, and the port tank is no longer in use and needs replacing. The boat comes with two new plastic fuel tanks, not yet installed. I've been reading many posts about cutting out the steel tanks, but I'm wondering how the plastic tanks go back in. They seem too big to fit past the engine (but I didn't take any measurements)

What am I in for here?

I don't know about your particular CHB, but on most boats of this size, the fuel tanks can be replaced one of two ways. Either remove the engine and then replace the fuel tank(s); or cut up the leaky fuel tank and fit multiple smaller tanks in the available space.

I can't tell you whether the tanks you have will fit into the available space.

Last edited:
I will take measurements when I go back to look at the boat next time.

From everything I have read the kind of tanks they are need to have the engine lifted to get them in. The smaller tanks, and more of them option sounds pretty darned good to me at this point, for a whole lot of reasons - installation ease, fuel quality issues, etc.

Greetings your project is more than likely done by now judging from the original posting date. If you’re still installing the tanks I would suggest that you pull the all floorboards and crossmembers out in the main cabin and get a very good look at the room you have to work with. It sounds like you have a single engine. See if there’s a way to wiggle those tanks in past the engine. Lifting the engine doesn’t make sense to me, perhaps if you’re close you could take the valve cover off and get them into position. I have a 1979 CHB Trawler and I’m getting ready to replace my tanks with plastic tanks.I have twin engines so I have more room to work with. The larger tanks will probably work for me. If perhaps you have those larger tanks and you want to sell them I live in California I might be able to come to Alameda and pick those up respond to this if you still have the tanks and you are interested in selling them thank you and good luck with your project.

Hi - I am in a similar situation and I made myself a list of options - see attached file. I think I am favouring the 2 smaller aluminum tanks each side.

Going with one empty tank for this season.

Good luck!

Nick

Attachments

• CHB34 tank renewal options - Nick F.pdf
    345.9 KB · Views: 44
Have you considered . looked at Ronco Tanks. THey make a huge variety and will install fittings where you need them..

I have not used them but contact them but simply know about them.

When I googled them the site would not open other than the listing on Google.

Maybe tomorrow it will work.

Last edited:
"What am I in for here"?

You are in for a very big, frustrating and probably expensive job. I hope the P.O. gave you good price concessions.

Good Luck

pete

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom