Wifi/ Internet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Over the years I've probably had some dozen wifi systems on my boats from 5 mile wifi to alfa , various bullets etc. I currently have a "wirie" and it is performing excellently. They also have a model with built in cell boosting etc. I am currently in Trellis Bay Tortola receiving a signal from "De Loose Momgoose" bar restaurant some 300yds of our stern. As we cruise the Virgin Islands we have our good spots for wifi and with the "Wirie" we can scan for in unprotected signals in each anchorage we visit. One of the advantages of the wirie is the simplicity of the unit, it's a plug and play, two wires for power and bolt it on. Mine is mounted outside on top of the flybridge bimini. (no wires etc cluttering the nav table) The system has been running for 2 years now with no problem.

AT&T Mobley unlimited is $20/month and its not automatically throttled, just de-prioritized if you are connected to a congested tower.

I questioned the Verizon rep a few days ago they if just de-prioritized from 4K or was their signal automatically downgraded for the Ipad and Jetpack after each reached the 10gbyte consumption. In fairness to the rep, she was not sure so it could be that Verizon's plan does the same.

But unlimited for $20???? That is a good deal depending on available service. Everybody benefits from competition so expect forthcoming changes from Verizon.

This is the exact same setup that I have on my boat

Cradlepoint MBR1200 router, and USB modems from two different carriers.

The only addition is that on the boat we fall back to satellite service if the two cellular carriers both unavailable.

I'm a bit confused. What do the modems do? Do they have some sort of wireless connection to the provider?

The USB modems have SIM cards in them. They are the link to the cellular network.

The cradlepoint is a router. It chooses the least cost data connection to use.

We have high definition Directv at our dock along with two tv's. One is smart while one is not but smart is not essential. What is essential to me is 4K and a Roku. The marina's wifi is highly rated by the guy who operates it, pooorly rated by those of us who attempt to use it.

I rely on Verizon's Jetpack for wifi and we nearly kill our many gbyte allowance shortly after the monthly reset with Netflix. If you avoid Netflix/movies Verizon is just fine. I considered mortgaging the boat to get unlimited service but like all good things, the odor of poop always seems to sneak in. For instance, one can sign up for unlimited at Verizon and to my understanding other providers. But then the buts come in.

Verizon offers unlimited BUT only 10 gbytes for a Jetpack plus another 10 for an IPad. Once those devices attain 10 gbyte consumption, Verizon drops the data quality from 4K to 3K which may be fine........I just don't know how the degradation affects TV viewing performance especially when watching programs on a 4K tv.

Away from the dock our tv enjoyment is limited to whatever is available using a HD tv antennal...........and Jetpack wifi for our computers

No such thing as an HD over-the-air antenna. An antenna is an antenna. Dad's 1960 rooftop antenna is the same technology. Do not be fooled by anyone advertising that their antenna is a "specially designed" to pull in HD signals.

No such thing as an HD over-the-air antenna. An antenna is an antenna. Dad's 1960 rooftop antenna is the same technology. Do not be fooled by anyone advertising that their antenna is a "specially designed" to pull in HD signals.

:thumb::iagree:

Picky! Digital tv brought about a major reassignment in the frequency spectrum used by stations. Some stations although few continue to broadcast in the lower frequencies but most today operate in the UHF band.

Technically of course there is no such thing as a "HD antenna." I could have used a better description such as " I purchased a UHF antenna, designed to hang on a wall such as a picture to provide signal amplification for the local digital programs we enjoy watching!"

Last edited:
Picky! Digital tv brought about a major reassignment in the frequency spectrum used by stations. Some stations although few continue to broadcast in the lower frequencies but most today operate in the UHF band.

Technically of course there is no such thing as a "HD antenna." I could have used a better description such as " I purchased a UHF antenna, designed to hang on a wall such as a picture to provide signal amplification for the local digital programs we enjoy watching!"

My intention was not to be "picky". It was to educate folks to not fall for deceptive advertising.

My intention was not to be "picky". It was to educate folks to not fall for deceptive advertising.

No problem here. We do however live in a world filled with synonyms such as "HD antenna/antennae" so the need to educate folks becomes moot.

And yes simple contraptions can provide almost the same performance as a designed product. When digital broadcasting started, I made many so called "coat hanger" antennea which worked well but looked ugly. Not only ugly but those I made for the boat were often dangerous. They rusted, several times I almost poked one of the metal wires into an eye along with often having the pointed wires scratch my vinyl. And Wifey laughed when I told her "you can get better tv if you hang my antenna on the wall!"

So call your UHF antenna anything you prefer. The HD antenna synonym suits me fine along with the many sellers including Amazon. No deceptions intended. :thumb:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom