Where should I live???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dan - Some years ago [3? or 5?] there was a post on TF that an owner placed of himself maneuvering his own single engine pleasure boat... without a thruster as far as I could tell. As I recall it was a dark colored boat with fly bridge; 40' approx. Anyway, his handling demo capability was exceptional. So much so that I wondered if it could have been photo shopped. Watching it about three times I could see no water thrusts from anything other than what appeared to truly be single screw.

I've decades handling boats with single screw, twin screw, one or more outboard and outdrives. I' was impressed with his handling capability of a single screw... it was better that I could accomplish with a single!

I'll try to locate the post - have no memory of what thread it was in; likely something about boat handling, or singles, or twins, or outdrives???

Dan - Some years ago [3? or 5?] there was a post on TF that an owner placed of himself maneuvering his own single engine pleasure boat... without a thruster as far as I could tell. As I recall it was a dark colored boat with fly bridge; 40' approx. Anyway, his handling demo capability was exceptional. So much so that I wondered if it could have been photo shopped. Watching it about three times I could see no water thrusts from anything other than what appeared to truly be single screw.

I've decades handling boats with single screw, twin screw, one or more outboard and outdrives. I' was impressed with his handling capability of a single screw... it was better that I could accomplish with a single!

I'll try to locate the post - have no memory of what thread it was in; likely something about boat handling, or singles, or twins, or outdrives???

My dad lived on a river and a 20ft canal. This old man would bring his 40ft cruiser down the canal towards his seawall, make a 90degree, (another 20ft canal, no bow thruster, back and fill, one engine, up against part of the seawall, step off and tie up his boat. Very impressive.
Some things we just have to learn from experience and practice, hoping we dont damage the seawall, the dock, our boat and other boats.

Where to live

I was starting to get irritated as I was reading your quote until I got down to the part where you have experience and I change my entire opinion ,you should be able to buy whatever you would like. however I like to talk you out of a grand Banks because you’re paying for name I’m assuming you’re talking about a fiberglass Grand Banks . And I would also like to talk you out of Twins ,I have probably owned a dozen trawlers so I try to think how can I share my experience and what I’ve learned over the years without offending anybody . my personality makes it difficult .So I’ll leave it at this I personally don’t like noisy generators ,AC you might as well live on shore .but I don’t plan on being in Tropics either like I said you should be able to have what you want ,but the very least save yourself the frustration of twins,And keep things as simple as possible, that’s my two cents

While I agree that part of the price tag of a Grand Banks is in the name, the same can be said for Cadillac, Lexus et al. Nordic Tug as well for that matter. But there is also some truth in the old saw “you get what you pay for”. There is no question that in higher mid level trawlers, a Grand Banks is a well built, finely joined, quality boat. I’ve never regretted spending the extra money that I did in order to own mine.
I heartily agree with you on the single engine. Generally speaking, in a well and properly maintained Diesel engine the main cause of problems is fuel related. Two engines won’t matter if that’s the case. When shopping for my boat, single engine was a hard requirement. I (or a mechanic) can move 360 degrees around my engine and easily touch virtually anything on it. Additionally, the cost of buying, maintaining or replacing two engines, transmissions, mufflers, shafts, stuffing boxes, cuttless bearings etc is obviously twice that of only one system.
While I don’t like them either, I live and boat in Florida so a gen and AC are requirements. We even need heat in the winter. Also, I removed the propane system and installed an electric stove, oven and microwave. That’s after I came home one day to a house filled with gas due to a failed interior fitting.
Just offering my opinion on the matter for consideration.

Where to live

That wasn’t me, as you can see, my boat is white. But I also have one engine, no thrusters. It takes time, you have to be careful where you go and wind and current play hell, but you can learn to maneuver without two engines or thrusters, plus as noted, in boating, simple is good.

My AT has a Northern Lights generator in a Northern Lights sound shield and underwater exhaust.
My AC tech was impressed with the quietness of the generator.
If I could a mattress down there, I would have no problem sleeping next to the generator. LOL

Where to live

That wasn’t me, as you can see, my boat is white. But I also have one engine, no thrusters. It takes time, you have to be careful where you go and wind and current play hell, but you can learn to maneuver without two engines or thrusters, plus as noted, in boating, simple is good.

Sometimes we all use the thruster for simplicity. We could accomplish the same thing with back, fill, prop walk and maybe a spring line.
Remember, neutral is a gear, use it to see what your boat is doing.

Last edited:

In 60's / 70's I handled single screw boats with no thruster... heck... back then I don't even recall hearing about thrusters on pleasurer boats. Single boats are OK to handle. Twins are simply a joy. Never desired or felt I needed a thruster on either end of a boat.

If I am remembering that same video of the guy handling his boat, it was a demonstration of his fishtail rudder.

In 60's / 70's I handled single screw boats with no thruster... heck... back then I don't even recall hearing about thrusters on pleasurer boats. Single boats are OK to handle. Twins are simply a joy. Never desired or felt I needed a thruster on either end of a boat.

Yes, I have played with twin engines. IMO much easier to dock and maneuver in tight places but, where's the fun, skill and clapping when you do it right?

Generators have a purpose

My AT has a Northern Lights generator in a Northern Lights sound shield and underwater exhaust.
My AC tech was impressed with the quietness of the generator.
If I could a mattress down there, I would have no problem sleeping next to the generator. LOL

I had a 45 foot Hatteras it had three generators one dedicated to the AC .I never did figure out what one of the generator was for. Twin Detroits,Never encountered any weather that Boat couldn’t handle ,built like a freaking tank,Burned 27 gallons an hour and all those engines to maintain not to mention 45 feet of boat to keep clean .I lived in the southern tip of Texas for six years AC was absolutely necessary ,by all means if you need ac You will definitely need a generator. Northern lights is one of the better ones if not the best one great generators expensive to buy maintain and replace .I’m glad that I don’t need one ,but I would certainly have one if I lived Down south ,but that would never happen I’m afraid of having a heart attack in the heat,I could go on and on about this Boat or that boat that I have owned. I would own a 34 to 38 sedan style trawler with a single engine if I were going to live on a Boat, my wife doesn’t like Boats she’s deathly scared of water, She is terrified just to walk down the dock ,so anyways I have a house walking distance to the beach and a trawler sitting on a trailer on my property.Sold my 38 foot single engine trawler a year ago it was a sad day when the trailer showed up to pick it up ,didn’t think I would ever own another boat. but found I couldn’t live without one

I was starting to get irritated as I was reading your quote until I got down to the part where you have experience and I change my entire opinion ,you should be able to buy whatever you would like. however I like to talk you out of a grand Banks because you’re paying for name I’m assuming you’re talking about a fiberglass Grand Banks . And I would also like to talk you out of Twins ,I have probably owned a dozen trawlers so I try to think how can I share my experience and what I’ve learned over the years without offending anybody . my personality makes it difficult .So I’ll leave it at this I personally don’t like noisy generators ,AC you might as well live on shore .but I don’t plan on being in Tropics either like I said you should be able to have what you want ,but the very least save yourself the frustration of twins,And keep things as simple as possible, that’s my two cents

First off, thank you very much for your reply. It seems every time I post something here I learn something.

First off, of course it would be a fiberglass GB, they went glass in 1973 I believe and everything I've looked at is 1988-1999. Second, yes I know the teak is a nightmare and it's why I also look for the ones that have at least had it removed from the decks. And finally, I'm not owning another single screw inboard, what a pain! I owned a little one (25ft) and put up with that enough. I don't think you just learn how to maneuver one without 20 yrs experience doing it daily. It's one thing docking in tight quarters with one, now do it with 15 knots breeze from the north. Now do it in the same spot with 15 knots breeze from the south. Now do it with current. It is almost as though every time you dock the boat is a new learning experience. Not interested in making life difficult, especially when the admiral will be at the bow looking up at me screaming "what the hell are you doing!":) I suppose I won't rule it out but it certainly would have to have thrusters.

As far as twins I like the idea of redundancy. Dad used to have a 23ft formula with twin I/O that I routinely took out of Lauderdale and I can't remember how many times I limped back on one engine. I also like the idea of a little greater cruising speed, I've run from more than one storm in my day and the difference between 7 and 11 knots is huge. This is not to mention some of the passages I would like to make. Have you ever had a Cuban gunboat shadow you for the better part of a day? It is scary. The Turks to Puerto Rico is quite a haul, one I'm not so sure I would make again without serious company.

You mention your personality, we would probably get along, more than one has found me offensive when I have truly wondered how. But thanks again, that teak is a BIG concern of mine, hopefully the decks have been glassed and it has some covers for the rails.

Art, I do agree with Scooby. Grand Banks look beautiful if one has the money for the upkeep of alllll that teak. But, he will learn.
One engine and a strong bow thruster and a good lesson on spring lines....
Also instruction on backs and fill. With practice, one can actually impress others. The key is, dont let them see you sweat. LOL

I think that's what I have nightmares about, the dockhand yelling "third row down, 5th slip on the left!" and I'm driving a 40ft single screw, no thruster, and it's blowing 20 knots. No thanks, I'll anchor out.:blush:

While I agree that part of the price tag of a Grand Banks is in the name, the same can be said for Cadillac, Lexus et al. Nordic Tug as well for that matter. But there is also some truth in the old saw “you get what you pay for”. There is no question that in higher mid level trawlers, a Grand Banks is a well built, finely joined, quality boat. I’ve never regretted spending the extra money that I did in order to own mine.
I heartily agree with you on the single engine. Generally speaking, in a well and properly maintained Diesel engine the main cause of problems is fuel related. Two engines won’t matter if that’s the case. When shopping for my boat, single engine was a hard requirement. I (or a mechanic) can move 360 degrees around my engine and easily touch virtually anything on it. Additionally, the cost of buying, maintaining or replacing two engines, transmissions, mufflers, shafts, stuffing boxes, cuttless bearings etc is obviously twice that of only one system.
While I don’t like them either, I live and boat in Florida so a gen and AC are requirements. We even need heat in the winter. Also, I removed the propane system and installed an electric stove, oven and microwave. That’s after I came home one day to a house filled with gas due to a failed interior fitting.
Just offering my opinion on the matter for consideration.

Once again, I learn something with every post or reply. Very true that many if not most engine troubles are fuel related and if that's the case a second engine isn't much good. All those other parts you mention is why I look for those boats where they have been overhauled in the not so distant past. It is why I look for those boats where the gas tanks have been replaced. It is hard to imagine someone pulling their engines to replace the tanks and not doing some major work while they were out. I looked at one the other day that looked like you could eat out of the bilge. It was so clean and shiny and that tells me something important about the owner. Except it also looked like he sealed/stained his teak deck which I understand is a big no-no, you just seal in the moisture and promote rot. Keep looking.

A generator and AC is a must, even here in the Annapolis area we had 3 or 4 weeks this year with temperatures in the 90's with high humidity, eclipsed 100 on more than one day. I'm not putting up with that. Not to mention a water maker, I want one of those too.:socool:

I had a 45 foot Hatteras it had three generators one dedicated to the AC .I never did figure out what one of the generator was for. Twin Detroits,Never encountered any weather that Boat couldn’t handle ,built like a freaking tank,Burned 27 gallons an hour and all those engines to maintain not to mention 45 feet of boat to keep clean .I lived in the southern tip of Texas for six years AC was absolutely necessary ,by all means if you need ac You will definitely need a generator. Northern lights is one of the better ones if not the best one great generators expensive to buy maintain and replace .I’m glad that I don’t need one ,but I would certainly have one if I lived Down south ,but that would never happen I’m afraid of having a heart attack in the heat,I could go on and on about this Boat or that boat that I have owned. I would own a 34 to 38 sedan style trawler with a single engine if I were going to live on a Boat, my wife doesn’t like Boats she’s deathly scared of water, She is terrified just to walk down the dock ,so anyways I have a house walking distance to the beach and a trawler sitting on a trailer on my property.Sold my 38 foot single engine trawler a year ago it was a sad day when the trailer showed up to pick it up ,didn’t think I would ever own another boat. but found I couldn’t live without one

Yes I have found I can't live without a boat. I'm contemplating retirement and moving south but condos are 300k minimum and they don't move around when you want to go someplace else. For half that I can find a 2 bedroom that takes me to the Bahamas a couple months out of the year. I have family in Jacksonville and Ft Lauderdale. You only live once.

Rooster, what is your budget? How much? The money?

Wifey B: Have you ever cruised the ICW? More protected than PNW cruising and thousands of miles? And yes, PNW has nice islands. Not nearly as many as the Bahamas of course. :lol:

I think the PNW is a fine area for cruising and likely ideal for someone use to cold and rain. One from Colorado might well not like warmth and sunshine of South Florida.

I loved my cruising in the PNW but be careful stating it's superiority over areas you've never cruised. New England has some incredible cruising with the Cape and Islands. Then there's the Chesapeake. So incredible, so much to see and do. Norfolk to Baltimore about the same as Tacoma to Vancouver in distance but then far more to explore beyond in the Chesapeake area.

And you mentioned inland. There's this thing called.....oh what is it.....some group of lakes and they're called something like ....is it Big? :nonono: Huge? :nonono: Nice? :nonono: oh it's The Great Lakes. Five lakes of unlimited cruising, all inland. :ermm:

Really haven't found any bad cruising areas although some I prefer over others and that's where we are, personal preference. I'd say variable one to address is climate. Love Alaska for a summer cruise, but this girl ain't livin' there year round. Same with Great Lakes. Same with Boston, although had a silly girl on this site once who was determined she could. One winter and she loaded up mommy and the five kids and headed to Southern California. :rofl:

Others here say they couldn't to the East Coast or FL and just like Easterners forget how much things vary from southern to northern California, they tend to overlook the variability on the East Coast and even in Florida. Only thing Pensacola and Key West Have in Common is they're both on the water. :eek:

There's a lot of talk about moving between summer and winter and can be done on the east coast. More challenging on the west coast, although possible but without the ICW takes more boat. Plus, where does all that fit in a budget? Multi short term dockages are going to add costs plus cost of travel.

I remain firm in my recommendation of where. I have none. But I recommend OP do a lot more research and exploration to determine if it's even the right thing for him and then where. Every area has it's pros and cons and people here touting one, won't tout the other. I'll say why South Florida isn't it in all likelihood. Costs. Dockage for a 50' boat likely to run $18000 - $24000 a year in Fort Lauderdale. I live here and it's paradise but wouldn't work for OP to dock at a marina here year round. However, just cross the South Florida border into the Treasure Coast and move on up to St Lucie County and Stuart and to Ft. Pierce and far more affordable and still incredible, although also hotter at times. :)

Keep exploring and find your paradise. :D

I haven’t cruised the ICW, Florida, Great Lakes or the Loop. I have cruised extensively elsewhere around the world. Of these places, the PNW is my favorite. I believe that it’s among the most beautiful but each is a different flavor. I couldn’t live in Ft Lauderdale due to the heat and sun, and it lacks the mountains I like looking at. So it’s all personal opinions and each choice is perfectly valid.

I was thinking seriously of doing a narrow boat on Britain’s canals as that looks great too!

Last edited:
Yes, I have played with twin engines. IMO much easier to dock and maneuver in tight places but, where's the fun, skill and clapping when you do it right?

I was with my father on his sailboat which he was living on in Annapolis. We lost the diesel and he sailed it back and into the slip, which required beating up a narrow channel, going down one fairway and back another to get into his slip. He got an ovation from the people on the docks! My early twenties self wouldn’t give him the satisfaction of showing how truly impressed I was!

A man after my own heart! Hard to beat Gulf Shores or Orange Beach. Several marinas on the ICW to choose from.

First,
It's impossible to end up with a good choice for the OP on where to live. But, he wants a trawler and believe he want to live on it, close to it or spend a lot of time on it.... so....

First decide if your an east coaster or west coaster. If you don't know, perhaps get an RV or just spend a few months in a few spots and find our what people like in each area.

From there, there would be an argument to find a boating area that's reasonably active for at least half the year or more. There's an argument if you're really into boating, the "snow" states don't really make a good choice.

For a boat, if never owned one, get a popular boat the will sell easy if you just don't like it. Keep it simple and reasonable. Then move on board, travel around and refine your options.

There's just WAY too much to do and learn from an internet forum, but you can perhaps get an idea of where not to go.

It’s all about whether for me I’ve traveled all over the United States Florida ,Texas ,Ohio,Michigan grew up in Michigan ,Maine were ever in the end sitting on your deck chair barbecuing a burger and relaxing really doesn’t matter what the scenery is that much it’s all about the weather. for me the Pacific Northwest is the weather I’m most comfortable in to each his own ,I live three blocks off the beach typical day is between 50 and 65° perfect ,rain makes things green keeps the dust down .like I said I’ve traveled all over the United States there’s no place where the weather agrees with me like the Pacific Northwest

I had a 45 foot Hatteras it had three generators one dedicated to the AC .I never did figure out what one of the generator was for….

Thats funny. I saw a 70 ish foot once with 3 gensets. Blended euro/US thing that had to support both 50 and 60Hz operations. These kind of installs almost require a full time ships engineer[emoji851]

Thats funny. I saw a 70 ish foot once with 3 gensets. Blended euro/US thing that had to support both 50 and 60Hz operations. These kind of installs almost require a full time ships engineer[emoji851]

True. Maybe that was my friends. He had a 77 Hatteras with three different electrical systems, and a full time captain who complained about the complexity of it.

Back
Top Bottom