Where should I live???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And how does that relate to post 114?

Posts deleted.

Numerous inappropriate posts have been deleted. Some follow on posts as well that quoted the removed posts have also been deleted. No reflection on the people who quoted them. Sorry for the fuss. Let's move along now folks, nothing to see here . . .

Many here can say they have been around the world. I've seen a fair bit of it.

As a happily married man of 26 years I prefer the PNW for boating, the rain gets to most people, the cost are high and the fishing gets worse when you near Seattle. Live abord is hard to find on the east side, the west has a few more hidden places that allow it. But the North water is nice, boat people are nice, fishing is ok.

If I was single.
Florida, good places to go, lots of party's, lots of bars, good fishing, warm weather, cost are a little less pending location.

If I was single.
Florida, good places to go, lots of party's, lots of bars, good fishing, warm weather, cost are a little less pending location.

Ron, I am single and live aboard my AT34 near Hollywood FL
Per your description of FL, I have to laugh. 9pm, I have my glass of brandy and my last cigar, at 10pm I am asleep.
:D

Hot humid very buggy bzzzzzz Oh I’m going to offend you guys again.,,,,, has it reached 100 yet When I was young I lived down in the south tip of Texas you couldn’t drag me down there kicking in screaming

Hot humid very buggy bzzzzzz Oh I’m going to offend you guys again.,,,,, has it reached 100 yet When I was young I lived down in the south tip of Texas you couldn’t drag me down there kicking in screaming

Wifey B: Actually Miami has never seen 100 degrees. :)

Where to live

You know Bill, I'm actually Canadian and spent a ton of my life in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm strongly considering the PNW, but it seems like quite an expensive part of the country so I'm guessing boats at a good value are few and far between.

Having said that, I seem to keep coming back to the Pacific Coast in my mind's eye. That doesn't mean I won't consider every other part of the country in which to narrow my hunt for the boat itself. I somehow can't shake the feeling that I'll get up there eventually.

First, finding a marina that allows liveaboards is getting tougher all over the US. Having said that, I’ve lived in and boated in San Diego, Whidbey Island, Wa, Pensacola and Jacksonville, Fl and Jacksonville, NC. All things considered, I would recommend the PNW. Great cruising grounds and NO HURRICANES! On the Gulf Coast or East Coast you are very likely to eventually suffer serious damage to your boat or worst case, lose it. At the very least you will have the headache of dealing with strong storms and Hurricanes every year. Oak Harbor Marina on Whidbey Island allows liveaboards (or used too) is affordable and is a great headquarters for cruising the PNW. There are also studio apts and condos close to the marina.

Wifey B: Actually Miami has never seen 100 degrees. :)

Although factually true as usual you just like to argue about everything . in the beginning I said in my opinion hot humid expensive Marine growth on the bottom of your boat I can give you a whole list of reasons why I feel living in the south and especially Miami would be a life of hell for me that’s just me get over it wifey b , Scooby Do is the name of my dog where the heck does wifey b come from . I think it’s going to be in the upper 80s today average August temperatures are probably in the upper 80s maybe lower 90s I don’t know nonetheless air conditioning on a boat defeats the purpose of boating once again in my opinion I despise air conditioning on a boat .I bought a boat in San Diego not too long ago had to go there to pick it up it has air-conditioning takes up a whole cabinet you can only run it when tethered to a dock Or a generator another wonderful thing . I also despise being around people I have no sense of humor

To the OP: This thread took some hard turns into several ditches. I mean this as a serious question with a legitimate question-mark at the end: What are you leaning towards?

Peter

Greetings,
Mr. S59. "... I have no sense of humor." Nor manners or tact, so it seems.

Wifey B: Nor RTF can he figure out Wifey B. I don't know if it's the Wifey part or the B part that throws him. Maybe he'll ask you for help. If so, please assist him. :)

I have only one more suggestion for the OP. Anywhere but Crystal Cove. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yep, the Green Monsters. Still, pretty decent motors as long as they check out. A ton of them out there so used parts are available which is a good thing because the price for new Volvo parts is :banghead: Still, if this boat checks out it's a good price and would work well as a live-aboard. Plus the OP might be able to keep the slip which is in a fun area.

I thought u might say Ocean Park. :dance:

Wifey B: He says you have no sense of humor and can't live there. Don't think he even knows who he was targeting as your post was intended to be humorous I thought. Oh, I feel for you davy boy, to be on the bad side of the doggy. :lol:

On the Western Basin of Lake Erie I pay $1200 a year for a 44’ slip, that includes power/water/swimming pool/on prem restaurant/bar, and free wi-fi. Marina encourages full time liveaboard, no extra fees.

Inside storage non heated for a 36 foot boat $700 with electric in the building and secure access. You can work on the boat interior with a small electric heater Dec/Jan/Feb. As long as you are respectful of others you can pretty much do any work you want.

You can choose to store heated inside and work on the boat all winter but that is not as cheap.

Lake Erie islands offer a nice place to go, many options 4 hours away at trawler speeds. Great perch and walleye fishing.

Is it Southern California? No. The PNW? Not even close. Florida? Nope. But what I pay for a year is what I paid for a month when I lived aboard in San Pedro.

Don’t let the naysayers stop you, there are many options for you to live out your dream, you just have to look long and hard to find them, and get off the beaten track.

On the Western Basin of Lake Erie I pay $1200 a year for a 44’ slip, that includes power/water/swimming pool/on prem restaurant/bar, and free wi-fi. Marina encourages full time liveaboard, no extra fees.

Inside storage non heated for a 36 foot boat $700 with electric in the building and secure access. You can work on the boat interior with a small electric heater Dec/Jan/Feb. As long as you are respectful of others you can pretty much do any work you want.

You can choose to store heated inside and work on the boat all winter but that is not as cheap.

Lake Erie islands offer a nice place to go, many options 4 hours away at trawler speeds. Great perch and walleye fishing.

Is it Southern California? No. The PNW? Not even close. Florida? Nope. But what I pay for a year is what I paid for a month when I lived aboard in San Pedro.

Don’t let the naysayers stop you, there are many options for you to live out your dream, you just have to look long and hard to find them, and get off the beaten track.

You depict a boater's "Financial Dream"! good on ya!! :speed boat:

Someone in this group said, 'I don't want to live where the temp is lower than my age.'
That lets the Great Lake out for more than a 3 month visit. :D

Gotta be well into your southern migration by September.

Heated storage to me means a temperature about 78F, low humidity and insulated floors. Once my feet and hands get cold, I'm going home for a hot bath.
:hide:

Someone in this group said, 'I don't want to live where the temp is lower than my age.'
That lets the Great Lake out for more than a 3 month visit. :D

Gotta be well into your southern migration by September.

Heated storage to me means a temperature about 78F, low humidity and insulated floors. Once my feet and hands get cold, I'm going home for a hot bath.
:hide:

Pussy! - LOL

Pussy! - LOL

I have done my time in the great frozen north. Working outside at -46F. Walking on snowshoes, 8hrs a day. Starting a fire to defrost the sandwich.
Couple of winters ice boating eastern Michigan. Goose hunting in Canada.
Re: ice boating.... 40-50mph, wind cutting into your face, no brakes, no reverse, gotta make a drastic maneuver to avoid falling through the ice.
Yup, if that makes me a pussy, I am most definably a pussy!

Last edited:
I have done my time in the great frozen north. Working outside at -46F. Walking on snowshoes, 8hrs a day. Starting a fire to defrost the sandwich.
Couple of winters ice boating eastern Michigan. Goose hunting in Canada.
Re: ice boating.... 40-50mph, wind cutting into your face, no brakes, no reverse, gotta make a drastic maneuver to avoid falling through the ice.
Yup, if that makes me a pussy, I am most definably a pussy!

Meow!! :D

Ah yup, from nuclear power subs to snow shoes.....

Hello Jim, and thanks for that advice. As I mentioned, I'm really looking for a landing spot from Denver to any place where there are boats aplenty to look at and check out. I've seen quite a few posts from people in the Chesapeake area that really seem to love it. Any drawbacks that come to mind I might need to be aware of, newbie boater that I am?

I was born and lived on the Jersey shore (Bay Head) then moved and lived in Ft Lauderdale for 20 some years and now I've been living on the Chesapeake for nearly 30 years (Chester river). Strange that I also am about to retire and purchase a trawler and live on it. I will be on the Chesapeake in the summer and FL or the islands in the winter. Plan on maintenance in SC, I think the prices there are the most reasonable.

I don't quite understand your thinking you need to move in order to find a boat. I'm looking for the right boat and will travel there to get it and then take it where I want it to be. I don't care if it's anywhere Houston to Miami to Boston I'll go get it. I guess my difference is I'm not interested in major projects and would consider as much as about $150,000. That should get me something in running order that I can drive away in but it isn't easy finding just what you want. I'm looking at Grand Banks classic 36 or 42 and the most important thing I want to see in the boat is the engine room. That tells me most of what I need to know. It must have new gas tanks, must have twin engines, must have decent generator, watermaker, AC/Heat, and engine hours reasonable. New gas tanks means engines must at least have been overhauled. Bow thrusters also something that if not there will be knocked off the price and put in.

You aren't going to find all that in one place. I have about 4-6 boats on my list from Tampa to Ft Lauderdale, NC, MD and a couple in New England. They are all possibles and I may fly or drive to see one but you don't have to move and then find a boat, you find the boat then go get it and move to where you want to be.

I've been boating my entire life but mostly on sailboats and done it throughout the east coast and Caribbean all the way to St Martin but when it comes to maintaining an engine room on a trawler I too am a novice. I have a lot to learn but hell, you don't even know if you get seasick! I think you need to do a little boating before you jump head first into living on a boat but best of luck.

You should buy what you want

I was born and lived on the Jersey shore (Bay Head) then moved and lived in Ft Lauderdale for 20 some years and now I've been living on the Chesapeake for nearly 30 years (Chester river). Strange that I also am about to retire and purchase a trawler and live on it. I will be on the Chesapeake in the summer and FL or the islands in the winter. Plan on maintenance in SC, I think the prices there are the most reasonable.

I don't quite understand your thinking you need to move in order to find a boat. I'm looking for the right boat and will travel there to get it and then take it where I want it to be. I don't care if it's anywhere Houston to Miami to Boston I'll go get it. I guess my difference is I'm not interested in major projects and would consider as much as about $150,000. That should get me something in running order that I can drive away in but it isn't easy finding just what you want. I'm looking at Grand Banks classic 36 or 42 and the most important thing I want to see in the boat is the engine room. That tells me most of what I need to know. It must have new gas tanks, must have twin engines, must have decent generator, watermaker, AC/Heat, and engine hours reasonable. New gas tanks means engines must at least have been overhauled. Bow thrusters also something that if not there will be knocked off the price and put in.

You aren't going to find all that in one place. I have about 4-6 boats on my list from Tampa to Ft Lauderdale, NC, MD and a couple in New England. They are all possibles and I may fly or drive to see one but you don't have to move and then find a boat, you find the boat then go get it and move to where you want to be.

I've been boating my entire life but mostly on sailboats and done it throughout the east coast and Caribbean all the way to St Martin but when it comes to maintaining an engine room on a trawler I too am a novice. I have a lot to learn but hell, you don't even know if you get seasick! I think you need to do a little boating before you jump head first into living on a boat but best of luck.

I was starting to get irritated as I was reading your quote until I got down to the part where you have experience and I change my entire opinion ,you should be able to buy whatever you would like. however I like to talk you out of a grand Banks because you’re paying for name I’m assuming you’re talking about a fiberglass Grand Banks . And I would also like to talk you out of Twins ,I have probably owned a dozen trawlers so I try to think how can I share my experience and what I’ve learned over the years without offending anybody . my personality makes it difficult .So I’ll leave it at this I personally don’t like noisy generators ,AC you might as well live on shore .but I don’t plan on being in Tropics either like I said you should be able to have what you want ,but the very least save yourself the frustration of twins,And keep things as simple as possible, that’s my two cents

I was starting to get irritated as I was reading your quote until I got down to the part where you have experience and I change my entire opinion ,you should be able to buy whatever you would like. however I like to talk you out of a grand Banks because you’re paying for name I’m assuming you’re talking about a fiberglass Grand Banks . And I would also like to talk you out of Twins ,I have probably owned a dozen trawlers so I try to think how can I share my experience and what I’ve learned over the years without offending anybody . my personality makes it difficult .So I’ll leave it at this I personally don’t like noisy generators ,AC you might as well live on shore .but I don’t plan on being in Tropics either like I said you should be able to have what you want ,but the very least save yourself the frustration of twins,And keep things as simple as possible, that’s my two cents

Awww... come on now Scooby. Let it all out! Most can take it and probably learn some too!

Awww... come on now Scooby. Let it all out! Most can take it and probably learn some too!

Art, I do agree with Scooby. Grand Banks look beautiful if one has the money for the upkeep of alllll that teak. But, he will learn.
One engine and a strong bow thruster and a good lesson on spring lines....
Also instruction on backs and fill. With practice, one can actually impress others. The key is, dont let them see you sweat. LOL

Back
Top Bottom