Where should I live???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A. find the boat
B. pick a place to park the boat
C. find a captain.

Just remember what I said earlier that where you buy and/or park the boat can come with huge sales and possibly property taxes. Since you have full flexibility in where to move, I think that's something you'd want to consider.

IF you elect to buy a slip then you want to choose the neighborhood carefully. If you own the slip, yes you will pay property taxes but the slip will increase in price.

IF you elect to buy a slip then you want to choose the neighborhood carefully. If you own the slip, yes you will pay property taxes but the slip will increase in price.

But also some states will charge pretty high yearly taxes on the boat itself, whether you own the slip or not.

Without question the west coast of florida? Year round boating and lots of protected ICW waters. Hurricanes yes but safer than southern florida etc.

The great cruising areas in thr US are PNW, Florida, and Chesapeake area. There are many other pockets, but those are the large centers.

I agree with Peter that these are the large cruising centers.

A quick comment about the Chesapeake is that if I were considering living full-time on a boat, in a marina, the farthest north I would live is probably the Norfolk, VA, area. Call me soft, but I would like to have easy access to year-round water and pump-outs, something that might get more difficult the farther north you are.

Jim

I agree with Peter that these are the large cruising centers.

A quick comment about the Chesapeake is that if I were considering living full-time on a boat, in a marina, the farthest north I would live is probably the Norfolk, VA, area. Call me soft, but I would like to have easy access to year-round water and pump-outs, something that might get more difficult the farther north you are.

Jim
You know Jim, I'm actually thinking perhaps of trying out 6 months (May-Oct - Hurricane Season) in the northern climates like Maine or the Great Lakes, when the weather is good and out of the hurricanes path. Then, for the other 6 months (Nov-April - Non Hurricane Season), take the boat south to the Gulf or Florida or even the Bahamas. I think this method might also loosen up some of the marinas. They may not like liveaboards or have a huge waiting list, perhaps they are more relaxed about a 6 month contract, with the idea of renewing it each year (as long as I like the place).

Document it, no hull number on the side.

South Carolina, annual slip holders get reported to the county tax office or state, I am not sure...so registration/documentation games aren't going to work at least in SC.

You know Jim, I'm actually thinking perhaps of trying out 6 months (May-Oct - Hurricane Season) in the northern climates like Maine or the Great Lakes, when the weather is good and out of the hurricanes path. Then, for the other 6 months (Nov-April - Non Hurricane Season), take the boat south to the Gulf or Florida or even the Bahamas. I think this method might also loosen up some of the marinas. They may not like liveaboards or have a huge waiting list, perhaps they are more relaxed about a 6 month contract, with the idea of renewing it each year (as long as I like the place).

I wouldn't count on it...many places are packed, some with waiting lists..annual or transient are all they are offering..

I would try to keep where you buy the boat as independent as possible from where you decide to live with/on the boat. Obviously the less you need to move the boat the better between purchase to final location. But moving a boat isn’t a huge deal, and can actually be fun.

Hey GDavid,

This is absolutely something I will be doing. Would you suggest I find the captain first or the general location of the country?

I would pick the general location first, then look for a captain local to that area. I imagine that you can find some good recommendations off of this board from people that are local to the area.

Many teaching captains also dabble in a variety of "marine consulting" that may include surveyors, delivery captains, tow boat operators, captain's license instructors, US Sailing instructors, Power Squadron Instructors, etc. Most anyone who is an active surveyor is busy as hell right now but there should be plenty of qualified and pleasant captains out there who would fit the bill. Many are semi-retired and their wives can only listen to them talk about boats for so many hours of the day so they might as well get paid to share something they enjoy doing anyway. Sure there are worthless blowhards out there but there are plenty of great guys and gals that you can learn from. I'm sure you can get some good recommendations here.

Choices are often harder with more options. I too am a Canadian, and now also an American. I moved from Vancouver BC, to Denver CO and now live in Sarasota FL. A huge reason we left Colorado was the lack of water, and too much cold weather for my liking. Cruising in the PNW is indeed spectacular - we did it for years. The Gulf and Orcas Islands all the way up to Desolation sound are truly incredible ... but the water is cold and the season is relatively short, unless you're pretty hardy. This is not meant to be critical, I think that the PNW is sensational from May - October. We moved to SW Florida for climate, lifestyle and economics. It isn't perfect - the summers are oppressively humid and the water is SHALLOW. The boating / cruising is also fabulous. We go to dinner by boat, I have taken my kids to sporting events by boat, we go to friends houses by boat. It can truly be a marine lifestyle. Boat tax is capped at $18k in Florida, and of course there is no state income tax. We just got back into cruising with the purchase of our trawler and will spend half of our time on her. The intracoastal waterway has great connectivity, I also work aboard. We plan to start venturing north, out of the humidity for the summers. Florida is not perfect, but we have yet to find a place that is. Choose the lifestyle you're looking for as there will probably be like minded people to connect with on the docks and at the marinas.

Wifey B: In the first post the OP says they've completed the research and now ready to shop. I'm sorry, but perhaps I'm missing something, just seems it's like choosing a flavor of ice cream because it's a pretty color. :lol:

I think more hands on research is needed, like a taste test. I once was in a cafeteria and thought I was buying strawberries with whipped cream. Omg one bite and I thought I was going to throw up on cherries and marshmallows. :mad:

I'd suggest some boating with friends or charter or rental or anyway possible in different boats in different areas. How do you even know you're going to like doing this? It's a wonderful life but be sure it's the life for you. There will be the day you have work to be done and you're in a cell desert, the marina's Wifi sucks as is common and you can't move as you're waiting for an engine part. Or the time you just had work done and finally time to cruise and you head out and it won't steer. :eek:

It's a wonderful life, absolutely incredible, but make sure it's the life for you and learn enough to select a boat that meets your needs. Then I wish you the best of luck. :D

Oh, and given the choice of anywhere in the world, there's only one true paradise. Fort Lauderdale. That's where we live. :dance::dance::dance:

Seriously, we love it but people from different areas or climates or with different interests might not. Heck, I never would have imagined liking where I am right now so much, Croatia. I've had so many pleasant boating surprises and it's certainly one. What a beautiful place to boat. :)

Choices are often harder with more options. I too am a Canadian, and now also an American. I moved from Vancouver BC, to Denver CO and now live in Sarasota FL. A huge reason we left Colorado was the lack of water, and too much cold weather for my liking. Cruising in the PNW is indeed spectacular - we did it for years. The Gulf and Orcas Islands all the way up to Desolation sound are truly incredible ... but the water is cold and the season is relatively short, unless you're pretty hardy. This is not meant to be critical, I think that the PNW is sensational from May - October. We moved to SW Florida for climate, lifestyle and economics. It isn't perfect - the summers are oppressively humid and the water is SHALLOW. The boating / cruising is also fabulous. We go to dinner by boat, I have taken my kids to sporting events by boat, we go to friends houses by boat. It can truly be a marine lifestyle. Boat tax is capped at $18k in Florida, and of course there is no state income tax. We just got back into cruising with the purchase of our trawler and will spend half of our time on her. The intracoastal waterway has great connectivity, I also work aboard. We plan to start venturing north, out of the humidity for the summers. Florida is not perfect, but we have yet to find a place that is. Choose the lifestyle you're looking for as there will probably be like minded people to connect with on the docks and at the marinas.
Thank you Den, it sounds like we have a pretty similar background, though I am solo without any family ties or considerations.

There is just so much to think about in the position I find myself and it's really hard to make any progress without a clear direction or plan. I really feel landlocked here in Denver (big surprise there, right?), and it makes it all that much more frustrating that I can't step onboard any boat while I'm here. So I need to leave Denver and move...WHERE?

There are a ton of great ideas on here, though I'm a bit curious why several have suggested I try to pick a place, move there and then buy the boat. Several have warned to try to not have to move the boat to someplace else where I might want to settle down. Isn't a boat for that purpose exactly? To move from one place to another easily and in comfort? If I have to be afraid to move to vessel too far from where I purchase it, it's not the vessel I want.

Of course each area of the country has its pros and cons, and they all sound like great places to check out and see for myself once onboard. It sure sounds like many people become extremely loyal to their piece of the water. I have a more nomadic spirit and can easily see me traversing the Gulf, hitting the Panama Canal and heading north up the Pacific Coast to Alaska or BC (or vice versa, as I hear going north from Panama up to San Francisco is all against the wind and tides).

Den, one specific question since you also work aboard. Internet connectivity...what's the real story here? Sounds like it's a BIG DEAL, though as long as there's a cell tower close at hand, why is it a big deal?

Anyway Den, it's nice to meet you and I'm sure our paths will cross again. Have a super weekend.

Greetings,
Mr. RR. I may have missed you mentioning it but what sort of budget ($$$) are you thinking of?

There are waiting lists for "seasonal"/liveaboard slips in virtually all of the municipal marinas in Western Michigan (Lake Michigan) marinas. The Lake Huron side is less crowded, but fairly remote. Marinas in Wisconsin (all privately owned) are likewise crowded and most have waiting lists for "seasonal"/liveaboard slips. Sister Bay in Door County, for example, has a 10-15 year waiting list (I was on it until recently). I've been on the waiting list for a slip in a popular northwest Michigan marina for 10 years! Paying by the week is very expensive, and you will typically be asked to move on after seven days in order to make room for other transients. Not sure about Lake Superior or Erie, but there are a LOT of boaters near the big metro areas.

Loopers have scoured the Wisconsin/Michigan area for fresh water traditional "trawler style" boats and then exposed them to the ravages of salt and sun. Not many good ones left...they're mostly in Florida.. There are still decent fresh water Carver/Cruisers/Sea Ray type boats, but they are also being snapped up during the current Covid hysteria era. That said, when new owners can't find slips, and the price of fuel is through the roof, prices and availability of boats will become more favorable. Slips will always be a problem in popular/populous areas on the Great Lakes.

Last edited:
Den, one specific question since you also work aboard. Internet connectivity...what's the real story here? Sounds like it's a BIG DEAL, though as long as there's a cell tower close at hand, why is it a big deal?

It depends on how much you need it and what speeds. First, as to how much. Do you need it 24 hours a day or do you just need access once a day or so. Second as to speeds. Do you need high speeds or are cell speeds adequate?

At the upper end, you need satellite. At the lower end you're fine with cell and Wifi and even days periodically without connectivity. Cruising you will find areas where you don't have good cell connectivity.

Depending on your provider, I have had poor to no cel internet on days where festivals or farmers markets, etc....overcrowd the marina area. Usually weekends, but some week days as well.

I think of liveaboards being in one of three groups.

1 - Dock queen. The boat functions as an apartment or condo. Never, or almost never leaving the slip.

2 - Cruisers with a home port. Cruising from a few days to months but returning to the home port.

4 - Cruisers with no home port. Always on the move.

Decided which way you want to go. If group 1 or 2 then decide the geographic area and get on all the marina waiting lists for each and every marina you would consider calling home. For the marinas you are most interested in personally visit to introduce yourself, then call once a month to enquire your status on the wait list. When a slip opens up the staff works down the list. It always helps at that point to have been a friendly face and voice.

I have been through the process and dealt with waiting lists from 2 yrs to 10 yrs long in the PNW.

As many have said waiting lists in many parts of the country are years long. Waiting lists for liveaboard are much longer.

If group 3 then decide whether you will mostly dock at night or mostly anchor out. That decision will guide your boat choice to a large extent. Mostly anchored out you'll want a big house bank, good gen set, solar, big water tanks, watermaker, big refer and freezer and minimal systems that require gen or shore power.

A story about waiting lists.
Dad had a condo in AZ. He bought golf club membership in a golf course.
Dad died in 1997, sold the condo, no problem.
His club membership is still on the list to sell. Yes, there is a list. It has moved up the list, a little bit. I suspect most membership are sold privately, owner to owner bypassing the club either with or without the club's approval.

Portage Bay, I agree with all you say.... If he can fulfill all that, he's going to need a boat with and OAL of mid 40 ft on up and then, he will have to investigate the tankage situation. Generator, 12KW, panels in every spare part of your boat and a bunch of batteries for night time use depending upon the demands. Gas stove. Maybe a spare 12 vt freezer.
I have to laugh at myself. I keep forgetting I am about 20 mins for a number of grocery store. I could go cruising this minute and eat for at least a month if I dont care what I eat from my dry stores and canned goods. If I had a spare 12vt freezer and had the meat fast frozen before I put it in the freezer, maybe 2 months. LOL

Last edited:
Thank you Den, it sounds like we have a pretty similar background, though I am solo without any family ties or considerations.

There is just so much to think about in the position I find myself and it's really hard to make any progress without a clear direction or plan. I really feel landlocked here in Denver (big surprise there, right?), and it makes it all that much more frustrating that I can't step onboard any boat while I'm here. So I need to leave Denver and move...WHERE?

There are a ton of great ideas on here, though I'm a bit curious why several have suggested I try to pick a place, move there and then buy the boat. Several have warned to try to not have to move the boat to someplace else where I might want to settle down. Isn't a boat for that purpose exactly? To move from one place to another easily and in comfort? If I have to be afraid to move to vessel too far from where I purchase it, it's not the vessel I want.

Of course each area of the country has its pros and cons, and they all sound like great places to check out and see for myself once onboard. It sure sounds like many people become extremely loyal to their piece of the water. I have a more nomadic spirit and can easily see me traversing the Gulf, hitting the Panama Canal and heading north up the Pacific Coast to Alaska or BC (or vice versa, as I hear going north from Panama up to San Francisco is all against the wind and tides).

Anyway Den, it's nice to meet you and I'm sure our paths will cross again. Have a super weekend.

Hey Ross,

Connectivity is paramount for me and many others and there are people who specialize in nomadic internet whether it is an RV or a boat - mobilemusthave.com is one. The long range roaming that you are talking about is possible but will take more planning and probably alternative solutions. There are good cellular options from companies like ubifi, and many others. People have great success using these routers / services coupled with inexpensive to expensive cellular boosters. We use a service like this and also have a wifi extender antenna from Mikrotik. We stay coastal which gives us good connectivity 99% of the time. Consider joining the Americas Great Loop Cruisers Association. If you're not familiar with AGLCA - these folks typically spend a year doing a loop around the eastern US / Canada. It might not be a bad way for you to start. You would see a ton of states, boats, marinas, towns in a fairly protected environment with good connectivity. Food for thought - I certainly don't have it figured out, I'm just sharing what I have learned along the way.

If it were I in your situation, I'd start out with the weather. I personally don't want to live in any area that gets to hot, too humid and too cold. In Canada, this rules out about 95 % of places to live. In the US, probably close to the same.

So for example, I couldn't live in Florida due to humidity, but pretty much all southern states and many northern ones as well, just because I don't like humid heat.

So again if I were you doing the same exercise, I'd draw a large circle around the area I could live then go from there. So if it were me, I'd be drawing a circle around the PNW and then micro focusing on areas in the circle. You on the other hand may love heat and humidity so you'd draw your circle there, then focus.

RR - as RT requested more than once... [although I may have missed your answer] what is your budget?

I'll somewhat categorize:

What is your initial purchase price budget?

Thereafter; what is tour annual live aboard budget?

Art

I suggest traveling to each major cruising area and spend a week or two, visiting different marinas in that major area, talking to boaters, perhaps locals, as well. The ambiance of a place, as well as the weather and expense could help decide. Choose a season when boating activity is high, to give you a better sense of the place. Spending a little time in each area will help you get a better sense of it.

Common questions:
What brand of boat should I buy.
Where should I live
Should I buy or rent a slip.
Which marinas accept live aboard

Come on folks, next will be, 'what color should the hull be.'

Beginning to think this whole thing is just a fantasy

RR,

I think your first decision is 'what cruising grounds' do you prefer? Both PNW and East Coast offer year-round options - but quite different in scenery, weather, closeness (or not) to civilization and lots of other factors. Ddw36's advice of visiting areas of interest (and maybe even chartering for a week, perhaps with a Captain to maximizing your learning?) is spot on.

Once this cruising grounds decision is made, then the other more specific questions about when/where/what to find to support you and your cruising adventure can be explored since you'll have more context around those specifics. I'm not sure I'd choose the same vessel for PNW as East Coast, but I haven't given that much thought!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom