What's your favorite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lightweight wool clothing, wool socks (think Smartwool or WoolX). In the Pacific Northwest, they’re comfy most of the year and great for layering. You really don’t need Air conditioning but ditto on diesel heat.

Definitely need a dinghy/tender. Good ground tackle (anchor, windlass and rode).

I think a small Instant Pot is great! If you have an oven, a small oven thermometer is great as many oven thermostats aren’t that accurate.

I use the Magma stacking/nesting pans. They’re nice heavy steel. Baking pans sized to your oven... I like to bake, so I use those snap lock containers for flour, sugar and the like.

Thanks for the hint of clothing. Don't think we will be in the Pacific Northwest past summer, but will keep it for reference.

Have everything else except the Magma pans.. will look into those. Thanks

If you are keeping your house, it is very liberating to have two of everything you need (one for the house, one for the boat), including clothes. That way, you can travel between the two without packing up (or unpacking). But, that changes the question, since you won't be bringing anything with you, instead the question becomes what to buy.
Some things are obvious -- basic kitchen utensils, silverware, towels, bedsheets, etc. Clothes, a little less so. Lots of stuff you use in your house you won't have sufficient use for to justify using the storage space. If you expect to do any maintenance / repair yourself, you ought to buy a new set of all the tools you will need. I keep most of mine in a locking tool box, that way if a service guy is on board my tools don't get mixed up with his. I wouldn't buy much else until the need is demonstrated. The kinds of things we purchased after the initial outfitting are mostly kitchen oriented (such as a rice maker and hand mixer).

Some things

We're in New England, so the list may vary a bit, but I love our throw blankets, pressure cooker, small butane stove for cooking outside when it's too warm to cook inside, a lobster pot (compliments the butane stove), Kanberra tea tree gel. +1 on the Magma cookware, which migrated from our sailboat to our trawler. Headlamps and batteries. Notebooks and pens/pencils. A squeegee for moving water off seating and clearing windows. Good sharp scissors. Reusable shopping bags with handles.

Your mileage may vary.

It’ an iterative process. Generally many start off with too much and winnow down. Along the way you find items that are useful and add those.

Dishwasher: use less water, stuff comes out cleaner and already dry.

Toaster

Blender

Rectangular plastic containers with lids for storing and organising food in fridge and freezer. For example, for cheese, salad, cold-cuts, fresh herbs, left-overs, ...

Not too many pots and pans but enough size-range to entertain.

Nice boat, by the way.

The carried on things we would replace tomorrow if they died

Cast iron cookware
Electric pressure cooker
Still
Lenovo thinkcentre tiny X 2 (nav, media and general PC)
Logitech 5:1 speakers
42 inch led screen

As someone up thread mentioned, you probably want to liveaboard for a while before bring stuff aboard. Even on a decent sized boat such as yours, you'll find oddball sized storage spaces. Example: our upper cabinets are shallow so we went with square plates. Place to store spices so they are handy. Knife storage is another challenge. We have a cheese grater that is flat vs a box grater. Mixing bowls run the gamut in size. The square Oxo food storage containers are great. Rectangular food storage containers for the fridge are also better than round. We use shoe-box sized bins in the fridge to organize food groups (cheese/cold cuts; veggies, etc). These cannot be pre purchased or salvaged from home. You have to live in the space for a while.

You also have to decide how far to take the idea that everything must have multiple uses. Our willard 36 is really small, so we have to be really careful.

Coffee is super important to us. And I'll second Simi60s use of cast iron (we use Le Creuset with bail handles vs a long handle); and we replaced our crock pot and stove top pressure cooker with an instapot. We also have a couple pair of Yeti lowboy cups that we use for coffee in the morning, cocktails in the afternoon.

Good luck

Peter

Last edited:
With few exceptions, I have the same things that I use on land. As others have said, a coffee maker is a must. It's so important that I have a backup.

Your own personal folding dock cart. Betinning boaters have all had that experience of carrying half-a-dozen plastic grocery bags with the special "hand cutter" handles the half-mile from the grocery store to the far end of the transient dock. (King's Grocery, Friday Harbor, I'm talkin' about you.)

You will soon meet those people, and you can sneer (inwardly, of course) as you wheel by with a couple cwt of ice, beer, groceries and propane.

There is an enormous variety of these things, and the shopping is part of the fun, after a couple false starts, I found this to be the best type. I think this is identical to mine, although I paid $49 at Costco.
p.s. The bigger the wheels the better. That clunk, clunk, clunk at every plank or panel joint of the dock can be tedious.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I am excited about cooking on the boat... especially the fresh seafood, so I hope we can catch a lot.

If fresh seafood is your "game" then a crab pot, salt water fishing gear, fish net and a tackle box. When I cruise into Desolation Sound and the Broughtons I pretty much provide all the seafood we eat for lunch and dinners. Not hard to catch enough to feed two.

Headphones, back up headphones and an extra pair of headphones....just in case.

Unless you both want to hear the same thing 24/7 you'll need them to watch your own show, listen to your own music or just not hear your partner's entertainment. They are even good for drowning out the noisy neighbor or the clanking halyards.

Headphones, back up headphones and an extra pair of headphones....just in case.

Unless you both want to hear the same thing 24/7 you'll need them to watch your own show, listen to your own music or just not hear your partner's entertainment. They are even good for drowning out the noisy neighbor or the clanking halyards.

Hadn't thought of this.. Thanks

My must have list is much different from my wife's.
(PNW Boat)
Scotch
Crab cooker of some sort,
An extra super sharp fillet knife.
Rain boots, rain gear,
Coffee maker
Many hats for rain and the occasional sun.
Heated blanket, we use one on the bed, and there is also one in the main salon.
Good dishes that don't chip easy.
Cheap plastic cups for guest (they always end up all over the place at dock party's, and no glass to drop on the deck)
We also use the Magna nesting cooking pans.
The best binoculars you can afford
A good camera
I read a fair bit so there is always a supply of books
A few games to play
A dehumidifier
The wife has some fancy vacuumed locking dry goods stuff for cooking supplies such as sugar/flower/salt.

My must have list is much different from my wife's.
(PNW Boat)
Scotch
Crab cooker of some sort,
An extra super sharp fillet knife.
Rain boots, rain gear,
Coffee maker
Many hats for rain and the occasional sun.
Heated blanket, we use one on the bed, and there is also one in the main salon.
Good dishes that don't chip easy.
Cheap plastic cups for guest (they always end up all over the place at dock party's, and no glass to drop on the deck)
We also use the Magna nesting cooking pans.
The best binoculars you can afford
A good camera
I read a fair bit so there is always a supply of books
A few games to play
A dehumidifier
The wife has some fancy vacuumed locking dry goods stuff for cooking supplies such as sugar/flower/salt.

Thanks. Most of this stuff is on my list too. So it's helpful to know I'm on the right track.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom