Old 03-17-2021, 09:32 AM   #21
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
For stuff like cooking gear, start with the basics that you know you'll use and can find an efficient way to store. You can always add on to it later if you find yourself wanting something you don't have. But it's also easy to start out with a bunch of stuff that stays on the boat forever even though you've never used half of it.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:35 AM   #22

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: Beebe passagemaker 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
First time I have heard of a man being nicknamed "the Admiral" (a term Ann and I both dislike greatly). Read the OP one more time.

Anyway, judiciously picking some creature comforts from your old home makes a big difference. Also little embellishments like certain pictures or pieces of artwork.

Have fun!
Yeah, I don't really have any feeling about the whole Admiral thing. But I don't think Scot (slowgoesit) is crazy about it.
We've already have a few of our favorite artworks picked out to take (we are artists and luckily work with stainless steel, so taking a couple that are our favorites).
I am so excited to try and boat life. We've had boats before but never lived on them 24/7. I think there is a good chance we won't be getting off the boat until we physically have too.
I am excited about cooking on the boat... especially the fresh seafood, so I hope we can catch a lot.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:36 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
For stuff like cooking gear, start with the basics that you know you'll use and can find an efficient way to store. You can always add on to it later if you find yourself wanting something you don't have. But it's also easy to start out with a bunch of stuff that stays on the boat forever even though you've never used half of it.
Definitely.. do not want to have stuff I never use. I think I'll just make myself do a clear out every couple of months until I get things situated.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:43 AM   #24
Guru

City: Reno, Nevada
Welcome. BTW I like your avatar photo better than your husband's!

Bluetooth speakers if your vessel is not already outfitted with a decent stereo that allows a BT connection to your device, for music.

An Instapot or some other pressure cooker.

Lots and lots of old towels for all sorts of reasons.

Dremel tool set among your other tools.

We always kept loaner outerwear for out of town guests. No matter how much you tell them, they will show up without proper rain gear/fleece/boots. You can't do much about proper footwear unless you keep a whole cabinet of boots of all sizes, but you can give them a real raincoat with a hood, and rain pants. Also, we kept extra neoprene or fishing-style gloves for the same reason. Guests from Kentucky get cold in a Puget Sound summer, when it rains especially.

Plenty of insulated mugs with nonslip bottoms.

A splatter guard sized to your largest pan.

Things to clean and cook fish
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:48 AM   #25
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
When it comes to "home" stuff, certainly don't bring anything you don't use now with you. We were living in Dallas and our boat was in Baltimore when we bought it, so I understand a bit of what you are going through. Kentucky to PNW is a day or two longer car trip to be sure. We brought both cars with us. I may have made two trips, not sure, as we were in the process of selling the house.

We had an estate sale to sell off most of our remaining stuff and put the antiques and big artwork into climate controlled storage in Dallas. While we greatly miss a lot of what we sold, storage fees even for the envisioned two years would be quite high, and enormous for the eventual 6 1/2.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:08 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskaflyer View Post
Welcome. BTW I like your avatar photo better than your husband's!

Bluetooth speakers if your vessel is not already outfitted with a decent stereo that allows a BT connection to your device, for music.

An Instapot or some other pressure cooker.

Lots and lots of old towels for all sorts of reasons.

Dremel tool set among your other tools.

We always kept loaner outerwear for out of town guests. No matter how much you tell them, they will show up without proper rain gear/fleece/boots. You can't do much about proper footwear unless you keep a whole cabinet of boots of all sizes, but you can give them a real raincoat with a hood, and rain pants. Also, we kept extra neoprene or fishing-style gloves for the same reason. Guests from Kentucky get cold in a Puget Sound summer, when it rains especially.

Plenty of insulated mugs with nonslip bottoms.

A splatter guard sized to your largest pan.

Things to clean and cook fish
I like my avatar better too.. but let's keep that among us, no reason to stir the pot on that one.
bluetooth- working on that
Instapot- check
towels -check
dremel - check
Guest clothes- working on
Mugs.. hadn't thought about nonslip.. thanks
splatter guard - hadn't thought of that either Thanks

So damn excited!!
Old 03-17-2021, 10:11 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
When it comes to "home" stuff, certainly don't bring anything you don't use now with you. .
Definitely! Amazes me how much we have that I don't use. Been liberating to get rid of it.
Old 03-21-2021, 03:30 PM   #28

City: Full time live aboard, East coast
Vessel Name: Vahevala
Vessel Model: 52’ Kristen Custom Flybridge Trawler
Kindle, Bluetooth speaker, playing cards, a small printer and laptop, comfy deck chairs
Vahevala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:13 PM   #29
Guru

Lightweight wool clothing, wool socks (think Smartwool or WoolX). In the Pacific Northwest, they’re comfy most of the year and great for layering. You really don’t need Air conditioning but ditto on diesel heat.

Definitely need a dinghy/tender. Good ground tackle (anchor, windlass and rode).

I think a small Instant Pot is great! If you have an oven, a small oven thermometer is great as many oven thermostats aren’t that accurate.

I use the Magma stacking/nesting pans. They’re nice heavy steel. Baking pans sized to your oven... I like to bake, so I use those snap lock containers for flour, sugar and the like.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:01 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahevala View Post
Kindle, Bluetooth speaker, playing cards, a small printer and laptop, comfy deck chairs
All on the list! Great minds think a like!
Old 03-22-2021, 11:03 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Lightweight wool clothing, wool socks (think Smartwool or WoolX). In the Pacific Northwest, they’re comfy most of the year and great for layering. You really don’t need Air conditioning but ditto on diesel heat.

Definitely need a dinghy/tender. Good ground tackle (anchor, windlass and rode).

I think a small Instant Pot is great! If you have an oven, a small oven thermometer is great as many oven thermostats aren’t that accurate.

I use the Magma stacking/nesting pans. They’re nice heavy steel. Baking pans sized to your oven... I like to bake, so I use those snap lock containers for flour, sugar and the like.
Thanks for the hint of clothing. Don't think we will be in the Pacific Northwest past summer, but will keep it for reference.

Have everything else except the Magma pans.. will look into those. Thanks
Old 03-22-2021, 01:06 PM   #32
Guru

City: West Coast
If you are keeping your house, it is very liberating to have two of everything you need (one for the house, one for the boat), including clothes. That way, you can travel between the two without packing up (or unpacking). But, that changes the question, since you won't be bringing anything with you, instead the question becomes what to buy.
Some things are obvious -- basic kitchen utensils, silverware, towels, bedsheets, etc. Clothes, a little less so. Lots of stuff you use in your house you won't have sufficient use for to justify using the storage space. If you expect to do any maintenance / repair yourself, you ought to buy a new set of all the tools you will need. I keep most of mine in a locking tool box, that way if a service guy is on board my tools don't get mixed up with his. I wouldn't buy much else until the need is demonstrated. The kinds of things we purchased after the initial outfitting are mostly kitchen oriented (such as a rice maker and hand mixer).
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:17 PM   #33

City: Nahant, MA
Vessel Name: Easy Wind
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler 40
Some things

We're in New England, so the list may vary a bit, but I love our throw blankets, pressure cooker, small butane stove for cooking outside when it's too warm to cook inside, a lobster pot (compliments the butane stove), Kanberra tea tree gel. +1 on the Magma cookware, which migrated from our sailboat to our trawler. Headlamps and batteries. Notebooks and pens/pencils. A squeegee for moving water off seating and clearing windows. Good sharp scissors. Reusable shopping bags with handles.

Your mileage may vary.
ex-sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:00 PM   #34

City: Green Cove Springs
Vessel Name: Laa-Dee-Dah
Vessel Model: 64’ Grand Banks Aleutian
It’ an iterative process. Generally many start off with too much and winnow down. Along the way you find items that are useful and add those.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:21 PM   #35
Guru

City: Mahón, Menorca
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 50
Dishwasher: use less water, stuff comes out cleaner and already dry.

Toaster

Blender

Rectangular plastic containers with lids for storing and organising food in fridge and freezer. For example, for cheese, salad, cold-cuts, fresh herbs, left-overs, ...

Not too many pots and pans but enough size-range to entertain.

Nice boat, by the way.
Old 03-22-2021, 04:15 PM   #36
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
The carried on things we would replace tomorrow if they died

Cast iron cookware
Electric pressure cooker
Still
Lenovo thinkcentre tiny X 2 (nav, media and general PC)
Logitech 5:1 speakers
42 inch led screen
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 04:47 PM   #37
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
As someone up thread mentioned, you probably want to liveaboard for a while before bring stuff aboard. Even on a decent sized boat such as yours, you'll find oddball sized storage spaces. Example: our upper cabinets are shallow so we went with square plates. Place to store spices so they are handy. Knife storage is another challenge. We have a cheese grater that is flat vs a box grater. Mixing bowls run the gamut in size. The square Oxo food storage containers are great. Rectangular food storage containers for the fridge are also better than round. We use shoe-box sized bins in the fridge to organize food groups (cheese/cold cuts; veggies, etc). These cannot be pre purchased or salvaged from home. You have to live in the space for a while.

You also have to decide how far to take the idea that everything must have multiple uses. Our willard 36 is really small, so we have to be really careful.

Coffee is super important to us. And I'll second Simi60s use of cast iron (we use Le Creuset with bail handles vs a long handle); and we replaced our crock pot and stove top pressure cooker with an instapot. We also have a couple pair of Yeti lowboy cups that we use for coffee in the morning, cocktails in the afternoon.

Good luck

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:33 PM   #38

City: Punta Gorda
With few exceptions, I have the same things that I use on land. As others have said, a coffee maker is a must. It's so important that I have a backup.
amapola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:30 PM   #39
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Your own personal folding dock cart. Betinning boaters have all had that experience of carrying half-a-dozen plastic grocery bags with the special "hand cutter" handles the half-mile from the grocery store to the far end of the transient dock. (King's Grocery, Friday Harbor, I'm talkin' about you.)

You will soon meet those people, and you can sneer (inwardly, of course) as you wheel by with a couple cwt of ice, beer, groceries and propane.

There is an enormous variety of these things, and the shopping is part of the fun, after a couple false starts, I found this to be the best type. I think this is identical to mine, although I paid $49 at Costco.
p.s. The bigger the wheels the better. That clunk, clunk, clunk at every plank or panel joint of the dock can be tedious.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:54 PM   #40

City: Lynden
Vessel Name: Joint Venture
Vessel Model: 1978 GlasPly 2800 mid cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muirgen Afloat View Post
I am excited about cooking on the boat... especially the fresh seafood, so I hope we can catch a lot.
If fresh seafood is your "game" then a crab pot, salt water fishing gear, fish net and a tackle box. When I cruise into Desolation Sound and the Broughtons I pretty much provide all the seafood we eat for lunch and dinners. Not hard to catch enough to feed two.

Tags
can't live without it, favorite things, kitchen items