Water Purification?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We filter all the water before it goes into the tanks. I put this together with parts from one of the box stores and buy the carbon/particulate filters on line. I don’t use the cheap ones. They don’t last very long and their specs are questionable. We do have watch the flow rate. If it’s too high, you get break through and the filter can’t take out the taste, order and particulates.

Attachments

• 0E1ADE5E-2168-4F3D-9E48-3414F0E27B2B.jpg
    0E1ADE5E-2168-4F3D-9E48-3414F0E27B2B.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 394F5519-61F0-4CA9-ACCE-A8F7D7E79140.jpg
    394F5519-61F0-4CA9-ACCE-A8F7D7E79140.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 57
Get a "big blue" filter canister. They accept standard 4" x 10" filters. A few hardware store fittings and you will be in business.

Good information. Thank you!

I use 2 canister filters. One on the dock and one more before it enters the tank. I try to remember to drain and flush the tank once a year. I have a 3rd canister filter under the galley sink but it is a bitch to get to. It is empty of a filter.

If your water has a surfer smell suspect the water heater. There may be some cross contamination. Water heaters can fill with a nasty sludge which taints everything.

Also..DO NOT PUT STRAIGHT BLEACH INTO STAINLESS STEEL! Diluted about a half cup or so to 150 gallons is no problem but straight, undiluted bleach will eat holes in Stainless Steel.

pete

... I had a problem once when returning from a trip, I connected my dock water supply and made brown ice cubes. The marina said it was from my water hose sitting on the dock, getting hot and growing stuff.

The supply line on the dock was also likely to blame...'cuz it gets hot and grows stuff too. So filter if you want to, but whether you do or not, ALWAYS let the water run long enough to purge ALL the water that's been "cooking" in the dock supply line and your own hose. You'll know when it's coming directly from the main...it'll be a lot cooler--even cold. You don't have to waste the water...wash the boat, pull the anchor rode out and lay it on the dock to hose it off...whatever....

I have a 3rd canister filter under the galley sink but it is a bitch to get to. It is empty of a filter.

A faucet filter would be easy to get to...and not expensive either

--Peggie

Last edited:
I have a "big blue" filter after my pump so everything gets filtered. I also have a filter that I use when I am filling the tanks. And as suggested by others, I run the water (it is free at my marina) for a few minutes before I start filling my tanks.

If your water has a surfer smell suspect the water heater.

Eew, there's nothing worse than the stinky, sweaty smell of a surfer!

:lol:

Sorry, Pete! Couldn't help myself...

I think about July I get the sulphur water in my tank. No big issue unless you have never lived on a farm and got your water from a well. It’s not going to kill you if you drink it.

I ALWAYS re read my posts before I post them. Don't know how I missed that one. "SULFER".

sorry

pete

After 9 years of living aboard I have finally arrived at a water filtration system that works for me. I fill the tanks with city water. It then passes through a mesh screen, then to the pump and through a GE OmniFilter whole house filter. The water is used for showers, clothes washing, cooking etc. We always used bottled water for drinking as the tank water did not meet the specifications of my wife Jackie (of taste bud fame). Nor did it meet her specs after numerous Brita/Pur adventures.

I really got tired of carrying cases of water so I began to do some research on water filtration pitchers. I came upon a company called "Clearly Filtered." Their specs were better than anything I'd seen after "pouring" through many pitcher company specs. I decided to give it a try and purchased a filter pitcher from them. We now drink from that pitcher exclusively and even Jackie is pleased (and that ain't easy).

Their website is www.clearlyfiltered.com if you care to check it out. I have no relationship with this company. And, I haven't been the water boy since the pitcher arrived.

So I have a carbon filter on my dock (city) water. We can still tell when the city decides to dump more chlorine.

I have the same set up when ASD is cruising, if I need to get water at a marina I use a portable water filter.

But since I installed a water maker, I rarely get city water. My RO water is just better.

Then I have 2 filters in-line for my boat water tanks.

We use a water tester for solids. What is funny the water maker makes excellent water with readings almost to zero and way better than city water.

Attachments

• IMG_8245.jpg
    IMG_8245.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8244.jpg
    IMG_8244.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8246.jpg
    IMG_8246.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 53
Tanks always become contaminated? How? See post #4. That is all you need to know.
If you're on dock water, why use the tanks at all?
For those worried about drinking tank water, I'm near 70 and have been drinking from ship and boat tanks since I was 7. No health problems. Just old.
Tanks always become contaminated unless receiving water with chlorine or chlorine is added. A cheap pool test kit can measure chlorine in the water. The one I use was $5 on Amazon. I add chlorine to just show on the bottom of the scale.
I have a set of filters after the tanks that remove any adverse taste. No dock water since 2011.

Same here. Plus, my on board pump gives me higher water pressure than our dock water. The marina has well water and many branches from the main line drawing off pressure.
As a live aboard I use the tanks all the time for two reasons.

1. To make sure the water in the tanks are routinely refreshed

2. To ensure I never fill the boat up with city water due to line or valve failure.

Marty........................

A. NEVER put chlorine bleach in stainless steel tanks. The chemical reaction between chlorine bleach and stainless steel will shorten the life of the tank. Use a non-chlorine beach. Publix has non-chlorine bleach in the laundry product area. (My FW tank is poly)
B. Keep refreshing the tanks, if you are using city water. I never hesitate drinking water from the FW tank. IF you are away from land and have a water maker running, consider prior to shutting down the WM, draining the FW tank at least 1/2 way and refilling with water from the WM, to dilute the choline so when you back-flush, you don’t screw up the membrane. Ideally, draining the tank all the way and refilling with WM water.

Or even sulfur. :)

Courtesy of the PO, we had a Spot Free portable water softener and filter system that we had in line with the dock water, always when we filled the tanks, and when we were going to be staying tied up for awhile. Worked really well as long as we maintained it, and because it was small that was at least a monthly very light chore. Used standard water softener salt. There are many brands of these, or you can make one out of DIY components if you are so inclined.

Clean, pure water can have problems if the tank is plastic or any of the plumbing is clear plastic that is exposed to light.

Sunshine is FOOD!

The green slime wont kill , but it doesn't taste great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom