Old 10-31-2016, 10:38 PM   #21
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
From Trawler to Houseboat

Ok , sorry. Forgot the previous line (pre 83 or so) was a totally different line also. As well as design, look and philosophy.

@Kartracer: What length is yours? I don't recall seeing that particular style in my searches. You can see the style developing into the 1983 designs.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 02:04 AM   #22
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
kokopelliTim: I like your thinking. If you wish comfort and spend most of your time at a dock, why not go for comfort? I know lots of sailors go for that blue water boat and seldom raise the sails.

For me, finding a boat that I could see out of while at anchor was a high priority. I don't do caves! Still, I sometimes wish that back then I'd been more open to houseboats. That single level has a definite appeal especially when it rains.

I've had three knee surgeries, so along with my ribs have my own personal weather forecast mechanisms.

Boat hulls are a preference (over pontoons) and I am NOT A FAN of inboard-outboards There are seals that leak (they all will deteriorate) so pick and outboard OR an inboard engine.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:57 AM   #23
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Holiday Mansion is another sorta-coastal houseboat brand, at least one/some of their models. (Took me a while to remember the brand name...)

-Chris
Old 11-01-2016, 09:14 AM   #24
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
There are houseboats and there are houseboats. Some "houseboats" are just a house built on a floating foundation and cannot move under their own power. They are towed to a slip and essentially stay there.

The other "houseboats" have an engine or outboard(s) and can move but usually not very far or fast. For the most part they have to stay in relatively protected waters.

First, decide what type you're looking for. Then, visit the marinas where you are considering moving to and ask around for any houseboats for sale nearby. Talk to the marinas about your plans, slip rates, etc.

Up here most (I think) make the distinction as "houseboats" or "floathouses"
I have lived in floathouses but only been aboard a couple of houseboats.

Ted
Ted is online now   Reply With Quote