Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 07:55 PM   #41
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWellington View Post
Who said they were ok with dumping on a one week cruise? Tell me his name and ill have harsh words with him!
Quote:
"Most normally, yachts will follow a similar strategy as other sea faring vessels, in that they release waste straightforwardly into the seas. Many the advanced vessels have holding tanks for human waste (dark water), yet wastewater (dim water) is generally emptied into the actual sea."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Glass isn't really littering. It sits on the bottom and slowly turns back into sand. The reason the bottoms are cut out is the shape makes them have a tendency to float. If/when water partially fills the body, it goes to the bottom and tips the neck up and can float around for a long time like that. Plus the sharp edges tend to promote the breakdown faster than the thick, rounded mouth and smooth sides.

Think about how you find seaglass
Sounds like condoning the action to me.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
Old 01-19-2022, 07:55 PM   #42
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Quote:
Glass isn't really littering. It sits on the bottom and slowly turns back into sand. The reason the bottoms are cut out is the shape makes them have a tendency to float. If/when water partially fills the body, it goes to the bottom and tips the neck up and can float around for a long time like that. Plus the sharp edges tend to promote the breakdown faster than the thick, rounded mouth and smooth sides.

Think about how you find seaglass
I'd agree with that. I haven't thrown anything overboard in a long time, but back when I drank a lot on small boats the bottles went over the side, either smashed or filled with water to ensure they didn't float.

One thing often ignored is that 'proper disposal' of most trash means burying it in a local landfill. I don't see why that's any better than burying at sea for a lot of items like glass or organic waste.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:59 PM   #43
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
One thing often ignored is that 'proper disposal' of most trash means burying it in a local landfill. I don't see why that's any better than burying at sea for a lot of items like glass or organic waste.
Glass is recyclable. It's also ground up and added to asphalt.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
Old 01-19-2022, 08:02 PM   #44
Guru

City: Dewatto
Vessel Name: CHiTON
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 30
Quote:
Glass isn't really littering. It sits on the bottom and slowly turns back into sand.
That's an interesting definition of littering. Glass object are found in the Mediterranean that were tossed overboard by the ancient Greeks. So if it takes longer to decompose than 2,400 years, it still isn't littering? Well I've got a few junk cars that I would like to dump in your front lawn. Guaranteed to dissolve in 4,600 years. Any problem with that? Maybe the "not in my front yard" objection? But the ocean floor doesn't belong to anybody, so dump away?
Old 01-19-2022, 08:17 PM   #45
Guru

City: Victoria B.C.
Ted, you mean you prefer to condone glass turning back to sand in the landfill?
Old 01-19-2022, 08:30 PM   #46
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
From the IMO:

For a long while, many people believed that the oceans could absorb anything that was thrown into them, but this attitude has changed along with greater awareness of the environment. Many items can be degraded by the seas - but this process can take months or years.

Persuading people not to use the oceans as a rubbish tip is a matter of education - the old idea that the sea can cope with anything still prevails to some extent but it also involves much more vigorous enforcement of regulations such as MARPOL Annex V.

Now here is Marpol Annex V. https://wwwcdn.imo.org/localresource...0Annex%20V.pdf

And the discussion: https://www.imo.org/en/OurWork/Envir...e-Default.aspx

Some specifics since misinformation abounds, they address food waste and things in wastewater as permitted at various distances, then animal carcasses, they recommend 100 nm and deep, and that leaves:

All other garbage including plastics, synthetic ropes, fishing gear, plastic
garbage bags, incinerator ashes, clinkers, cooking oil, floating dunnage,
lining and packing materials, paper, rags, glass, metal, bottles, crockery
and similar refuse. All those items are prohibited from discharge at any distance from shore.

These are the rules we follow.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:47 PM   #47
Guru

City: Corpus Christi
Vessel Model: Willard Vega Horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
From the IMO:

Some specifics since misinformation abounds, they address food waste and things in wastewater as permitted at various distances, then animal carcasses, they recommend 100 nm and deep, and that leaves:

and similar refuse. All those items are prohibited from discharge at any distance from shore.

I think the Chart found here from USCG is a bit more informative:

https://homeport.uscg.mil/Lists/Cont...rm.aspx?ID=896

It also contradicts what you stated above.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:06 PM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTurner View Post
I think the Chart found here from USCG is a bit more informative:

https://homeport.uscg.mil/Lists/Cont...rm.aspx?ID=896

It also contradicts what you stated above.
Actually it doesn't as it only speaks of the US waters up to 12 nm. It's not really saying you can do it after 12 nm, just that the USCG only restricts up to 12 nm. What I stated is directly from the Marpol chart I linked to. It's made more confusing as not all countries adopted Marpol V.

Regardless of the complexity and seeming contradiction, we follow the Marpol Annex V as shown on IMO's website which basically means we don't toss solid objects overboard at any distance from shore.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:16 PM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Actually it doesn't as it only speaks of the US waters up to 12 nm. It's not really saying you can do it after 12 nm, just that the USCG only restricts up to 12 nm. What I stated is directly from the Marpol chart I linked to. It's made more confusing as not all countries adopted Marpol V.

Regardless of the complexity and seeming contradiction, we follow the Marpol Annex V as shown on IMO's website which basically means we don't toss solid objects overboard at any distance from shore.
Right , not all adopted, not all enforce, and most boaters do what they want......toss overboard.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:19 PM   #50
Guru

Quote:
From the IMO:

For a long while, many people believed that the oceans could absorb anything that was thrown into them, but this attitude has changed along with greater awareness of the environment. Many items can be degraded by the seas - but this process can take months or years.

Persuading people not to use the oceans as a rubbish tip is a matter of education - the old idea that the sea can cope with anything still prevails to some extent but it also involves much more vigorous enforcement of regulations such as MARPOL Annex V.

Now here is Marpol Annex V. https://wwwcdn.imo.org/localresource...0Annex%20V.pdf

And the discussion: https://www.imo.org/en/OurWork/Envir...e-Default.aspx

"Rules we follow"? Apparently most dont, and ill bet if your cat dies, you wont obey the dead animals rule ether.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:22 PM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Glass is recyclable. It's also ground up and added to asphalt.

Ted
In theory, in reality most is thrown away. We often see muninpalities that force p we ople to separate their garbage, admit it all goes into the same dump.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:27 PM   #52
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Guys, this thread was created to troll. Do not feed trolls.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:27 PM   #53
Guru

Quote:
Right , not all adopted, not all enforce, and most boaters do what they want......toss overboard.
No, most boaters don't. Most don't throw glass and paper and plastic overboard. But then you have in mind you're going to do what you want anyway. I can't stop you. Can only offer my opinion. Marpol was brought up so I quoted it and linked to it. That's without even getting into the requirements for placards for 12 meters and up and for garbage management plans for 100 gross tonnage and for garbage record books for 400 gross tonnage.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:53 PM   #54
Guru

Quote:
No, most boaters don't. Most don't throw glass and paper and plastic overboard. But then you have in mind you're going to do what you want anyway. I can't stop you. Can only offer my opinion. Marpol was brought up so I quoted it and linked to it. That's without even getting into the requirements for placards for 12 meters and up and for garbage management plans for 100 gross tonnage and for garbage record books for 400 gross tonnage.
Boaters , like fisfermen, lie a lot, and most dont have boats over 100t, muchless 400tons. Scenario: you 4 others....46 days from panama to tahiti....your holding tank is full, salon full of stinking garbage, dead cat in feezer. Youre at day 30, going crazy from living in your garbage. What will YOU do?.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:15 PM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Boaters , like fisfermen, lie a lot, and most dont have boats over 100t, muchless 400tons. Scenario: you 4 others....46 days from panama to tahiti....your holding tank is full, salon full of stinking garbage, dead cat in feezer. Youre at day 30, going crazy from living in your garbage. What will YOU do?.
Do you have a boat that you'd make that run for 46 days from Panama to Tahiti? Why would your holding tank be full? You're perfectly ok emptying it at sea. We would. And why is your salon full of stinking garbage? It's fine to toss all food and you should rinse and wash any foodstuffs. I'm not sure why your cat is in the freezer or perhaps feezer, but you're 100 nm from land and can toss animal carcass. It is biodegradable. So, if you're living in garbage at that point, you're a fool. Throwing a glass wine bottle overboard isn't an issue. If it is, perhaps you should lay off the wine and the whine.

Boats travel at sea all the time and don't have to resort to tossing wine bottles. Sure is a slow boat to take 46 days, as that's a speed of less than 4 knots.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:19 PM   #56
Guru

Quote:
Do you have a boat that you'd make that run for 46 days from Panama to Tahiti? Why would your holding tank be full? You're perfectly ok emptying it at sea. We would. And why is your salon full of stinking garbage? It's fine to toss all food and you should rinse and wash any foodstuffs. I'm not sure why your cat is in the freezer or perhaps feezer, but you're 100 nm from land and can toss animal carcass. It is biodegradable. So, if you're living in garbage at that point, you're a fool. Throwing a glass wine bottle overboard isn't an issue. If it is, perhaps you should lay off the wine and the whine.

Boats travel at sea all the time and don't have to resort to tossing wine bottles. Sure is a slow boat to take 46 days, as that's a speed of less than 4 knots.
I'll add this. Is there a reason for not stopping at any of the islands along the way and running non stop? Remarkable range, must be sails. What boat are you doing this in, JWellington? A troller?
Old 01-19-2022, 10:20 PM   #57
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Could have fed the dead cat to a passing troll. Hey, there`s one right there!
Old 01-20-2022, 05:48 AM   #58
FF
Guru

Last time I went thru NYC the city was still using dumping garbage barges , and going out to sea.
Old 01-20-2022, 06:21 AM   #59
Guru

City: Here and there
A quick search says ocean dumping was banned in 1992. NYC was the last city still doing it.
Old 01-20-2022, 06:23 AM   #60
Guru

Quote:
I'll add this. Is there a reason for not stopping at any of the islands along the way and running non stop? Remarkable range, must be sails. What boat are you doing this in, JWellington? A troller?
I only respond to serious comments these days.
Closed Thread