Transitioning to full time cruisers...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Huge variation in plastic. Cheap plastic is wrapping yourself in Saran Wrap. But high tech plastic is a different world. Right now sitting in full sun in Magellan boxers, Ex Officio long legged pants and Helly H short sleeve shirt. 90F and 75% humidity. Cool as cucumber.
Trick is to only shop sales and stock up. Lasts longer, less space and more comfortable with better UV numbers.

Muirgen Afloat:
Take it easy on weight , i did not see hardly any of my house hold goods doing much good on boat. Glass will all be broken by end of trip. also remember where you store your weight top heavy is not good it will lift up and fly right out of cabinet. Everyone remembers that crazy forecast weather trip where that white squall came out of no where and everything ended up on the floor.:nonono::hide:

Not to worried about weight since we will have over 2000 gallons of fuel on the bottom.. yeah I know it slowly gets less.. but don't think my household stuff will over power it. No flybridge on her, so less top weight.
Yeah, glass won't work. But I will miss having glass glasses... have heard of some plastic ones out that feel the same, but guess we will see. Still not to be of a sacrifice.. and I do not want to have to clean up that mess in a rough sea!!

Everything for cooking and serving down to utensils is different for boats and houses if you’re actively cruising. Have hosts of collapsible bowls, silicone everything, smaller pots, pans. The ergonomics and space concern is different. Your preferences will be different.
Same with clothes. Everything we wear is synthetic. No cotton. No natural fibers. Half the space twice the function. High tech clothes just work better. Buy camping, skiing, and golf clothes off season. Stay away from boating clothes where possible except hats.
So I have a wedding/ funeral suit, pair of socks, shirt etc. that’s it.

Thanks on the hint of clothing. I know I'm going to have to change out my wardrobe. Will do that over time since for the first few months, we will be outfitting the boat and just taking short trips. Figure I have at least 4 months to figure out what I need.
Love the collapsible stuff.. it's on the short list to buy.

Want some nice cotton pull overs? Check with cottonseed.com
I have 7 of their 5 button shirts, all the same color, what they call "natural". Over the years of washing they lighten up. Yes, they do come in different colors but then, you have to sort through them and wash colors together.
For shorts, patagonia.com. All the same color. Sort of hard wearing canvas.
Too many years wearing uniforms LOL Plus, I can get dressed in the dark.
Hat, Tilley hat.
Everything seems to be expensive but, they last for 10 years.
I think I am on my last purchase. SMILE

Thanks will check it out.

Not to worried about weight since we will have over 2000 gallons of fuel on the bottom.. yeah I know it slowly gets less.. but don't think my household stuff will over power it. No flybridge on her, so less top weight.
Yeah, glass won't work. But I will miss having glass glasses... have heard of some plastic ones out that feel the same, but guess we will see. Still not to be of a sacrifice.. and I do not want to have to clean up that mess in a rough sea!!

Glass can work. In my mind drinking from anything but glass is not so good. If you're able to enjoy a glass of wine or a snifter of brandy, wouldn't you by virtue of that activity be essentially stable? Your boat is unlikely to be banged hard when relaxing.

So figure out how to store your stemware and bring it along. I can see other options when on rough passages however, so perhaps instead of your plastic, consider stainless steel, or pewter options. They work too.

Free advice: if you opt to metal and plan on hot beverages, if the item does not have an insulated handle have someone marlinspike one for you. Hikers who drink from titanium cups purchase a silicone gizmo to slip over the upper edge so they don't burn their lips. I utilize glass or stainless straws instead.

Reconsider glassware. It can work in many instances. Good luck.

I like single malt whiskey on occasion. It would be sacrilege to put it in anything but glass. It’s a bit of a ritual to pour two fingers into a proper sipping glass. Add one ice cube to get the right amount of water. Wife likes Prosecco. She enjoys it out of a flute. Those two glasses sit in cut down discarded packing foam. The foam was cut out to fit. Then inside wrapped in Saran Wrap. Those glasses have survived much weather without incident. You’re cruising not camping. If you go too far into camping mode you will be cruising alone.
We use metal for coffee. Drink black and sensitive to the taste. Like using the Pussers cups. If necessary put a sippy cup lid in them. Hate moving something to get at something all the time.
Everyone draws the line in a different place. Beer only out of glass bottles. Wine out of the proper shaped glass. Whatever. Just remember unless you’re in a mega yacht space and ease of access will be a concern.

Last edited:
I like single malt whiskey on occasion. It would be sacrilege to put it in anything but glass. It’s a bit of a ritual to pour two fingers into a proper sipping glass. Add one ice cube to get the right amount of water. Wife likes Prosecco. She enjoys it out of a flute. Those two glasses sit in cut down discarded packing foam. The foam was cut out to fit. Then inside wrapped in Saran Wrap. Those glasses have survived much weather without incident. You’re cruising not camping. If you go too far into camping mode you will be cruising alone.
We use metal for coffee. Drink black and sensitive to the taste. Like using the Pussers cups. If necessary put a sippy cup lid in them. Hate moving something to get at something all the time.
Everyone draws the line in a different place. Beer only out of glass bottles. Wine out of the proper shaped glass. Whatever. Just remember unless you’re in a mega yacht space and ease of access will be a concern.

I am going to have to play this one by ear. I'm glad to hear there is a way to do it safely. You are right... sometimes it's a necessity. I do still want to have comfort... so we will see!

Someone mentioned shipping. I'd also mention boxing and labeling that in storage, especially items you're debating. Then evaluate items you're storing carefully on a financial basis. Consider cost of storage and shipping vs. repurchasing. Have a spreadsheet inventory of storage and constantly reappraise it. If you haven't used it in years, move on.

We recently dealt with the contents of a storage letter from a deceased close relative. He had the storage locker for 20+ years. Paid $275 a month. That amounts to around $66,000. Assuming the rental was less in prior years that must still have been over $20,000. There was nothing in there that anyone wanted, nor he presumably since it was in storage. It all got thrown away.
~A

If glass is important to you, you will make it work. We sailed across the Atlantic a couple of times on our sailboat. We had porcelain plates, glass wine glasses, a glass french-press coffee maker.

In 12,000 NM of mainly ocean sailing we broke no plates (we still have them at our house), 3 french presses! (we always carried a spare), and numerous wine glasses. Did we care? No. Live your life the way you choose and pay the piper. The cost of those wine glasses was miniscule, they weren't expensive cut glass. We like thin glass with no lip, from Crate & Barrel at about $5 a glass.

NB almost all the glasses got broke when we were knocked down sailing from The Canaries to St Lucia (the spinnaker got away from us and dragged the boat over 90 degrees). The glass cabinet came open and half the glasses flew across the salon. It took hours to recover the spinnaker, but only 10 minutes to sweep up the glass.

The glass was the least of my concerns!

~A

We have glass aboard, although seldom use it. Easy if you have the right kind of storage cabinets for it. Nearly impossible without. But you can create such cabinets with the right amount of packing materials. Can get the grid in which to separate the glasses from any UHaul store as well as materials to protect the glasses. Use moving materials.

Those glass French press flasks absolutely EXPLODE when they drop, and they always have a habit of being wet and slippery. I switched over to a set of melamine plates and bowls, but kept all of my glass coffee mugs and pint glasses. so far no more breakage than I'd have had at home.

Yes i agree a good mix of wares is needed. it is hard to offer a guest plastic cup after they just brought you a nice bottle of wine, and for sipping drinks plastic is really a bad idea. I would Just keep it to an amount manageable for your cruising life style. I think we have 3-4 coffee mugs and 4 wine glasses total on boat. I think all our dishes are some kind of hard plastic or melamine. Corelle is possible too if glass is a must have its tempered and popular with boaters.
weight is still an issue with me as i just overloaded the boat for this summer cruising and now have to go through it and loose some stuff.

Wow you people make it hard.

If my yacht sat 20 at the dinner table and I wanted glass, china and silver..... I bet I could find storage that worked.

I have a 40', 1988 POS Taiwan Trawler that can store glass and Corel and good stainless for 8....heck...I am hard pressed to serve 6 comfy on a 40 footer.

Ya'all need to hang with old timers or something.:oldman:

NB almost all the glasses got broke when we were knocked down sailing from The Canaries to St Lucia (the spinnaker got away from us and dragged the boat over 90 degrees). The glass cabinet came open and half the glasses flew across the salon. It took hours to recover the spinnaker, but only 10 minutes to sweep up the glass.

The glass was the least of my concerns!

~A

Wow.. sounds awful.

Just be careful what you wish for.... I have lived aboard 3X with marriages and dirt between the first 2.....if you like Rollercoaster it can work.

At least it won't be boring.. :)

I cant imagine not making it to the Caribbean , try and make the jump to panama its the best cruising grounds. I am waiting for the new dinghy delivery Monday and then we are off to Bahamas it will be our longest trip yet Exumas 2-3 weeks so this will be the test to see if we want to do next season 3-4 months. I really hope so...

I cant imagine not making it to the Caribbean , try and make the jump to panama its the best cruising grounds. I am waiting for the new dinghy delivery Monday and then we are off to Bahamas it will be our longest trip yet Exumas 2-3 weeks so this will be the test to see if we want to do next season 3-4 months. I really hope so...

How exciting. We definitely want to make it to the Caribbean eventually. Hope you keep us updated on your journey!

Those glass French press flasks absolutely EXPLODE when they drop, and they always have a habit of being wet and slippery. I switched over to a set of melamine plates and bowls, but kept all of my glass coffee mugs and pint glasses. so far no more breakage than I'd have had at home.

Yikes.. I do not like to think about the clean up if the press explodes. Think I might pass on that one. We are pretty lucky on the way storage is set up on this boat with little cubbies for the dishes. So that's good.

I've enjoyed reading the adventures of Slyphide.

Yikes.. I do not like to think about the clean up if the press explodes. Think I might pass on that one. We are pretty lucky on the way storage is set up on this boat with little cubbies for the dishes. So that's good.

I've enjoyed reading the adventures of Slyphide.

If your cabinets don't have cubbies or separations, it's not really difficult to add them either with cardboard or do so with cardboard and then use it as a model for wood or plastic.

If your cabinets don't have cubbies or separations, it's not really difficult to add them either with cardboard or do so with cardboard and then use it as a model for wood or plastic.

Thanks for the idea. They are like small boxes. The plates we have fit perfectly. I might use the cardboard like they separate liquor bottles with on the glasses and cups if necessary.

Some would argue the Bahamas aren’t part of the Caribbean. Been threads discussing this distinction and there seems to be cogent arguments for both opinions. Would say each area Bahamas, Leewards and Windwards have a totally different feel to them. Much prefer the Windwards personally for the decreased number of cruise ships, charterers and less developed areas. If I have to be in proximity to others rather it be with other cruisers than short term transients. More local knowledge and they face the same issues we do.

we made the Bahamas trip got down to Stainel kay it was crazy fun, i only wish it lasted longer but i got a teenage daughter that wants some of her summer home. in the end the test was to see if we want long time cruising liveaboard style and i have to say yes. The next trip will be 1-2 months hopefully...

Back
Top Bottom