Transitioning to full time cruisers...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Someone mentioned shipping. I'd also mention boxing and labeling that in storage, especially items you're debating. Then evaluate items you're storing carefully on a financial basis. Consider cost of storage and shipping vs. repurchasing. Have a spreadsheet inventory of storage and constantly reappraise it. If you haven't used it in years, move on.

I'm glad I put my foot down when my wife insisted that everything in the house and garage must be relocated to the boat.

Customs costs are significant in many places. Availability is often limited and when available overpriced. For some things you may need a customs broker adding expense. We’ve taken advantage of “vessel in transit” when legal and feasible for the article. Will have various things we buy on the internet or phone shipped to a friend or family who’s coming to visit. Or shipped to a family member and repacked into a shipping drum. Then shipped to a marina. We come into that marina pick up the drum and clear. Also you develop favorite clothes and other articles which are rarely available in your cruising grounds. Buy them, put them through the wash or take the labels off for non clothes, ship them custom tax free.

Last edited:
Best advice: sell everything you can, give the rest away. Start fresh once on boat.

I thought about it.. but seems wasteful of money I want to spend on outfitting the boat with a new bimini or fishing gear or stuff like that to replace dishes I already have and other household stuff.

Unfortunately it ain’t simple. End of day you’re trading one system of complexities for another. It’s about quality of life. Boat problems are real, physical problems. Something works or doesn’t. That’s the easy part. It’s the other crap that isn’t. When you go cruising you don’t leave it all behind. You create distance from those issues which often makes it more stressful. Maybe there’s people who lived in isolation on land so can live in isolation on the water. Haven’t met any yet.

Yeah... I know. But I'm looking forward to just working on the boat.. not juggling all the life things I'm doing now. Different problems...

Many full time cruisers schedule a period of weeks to months every year at about the same time to 1. Get time off the boat; 2. Take care of ‘home’ affairs be they financial, seeing relatives, doing the dr and dentist visits etc. Some have a condo or other home to go back to, some crash at a relative’s house, some rent a VRBO. For tropical cruisers they often coincide with typhoon/hurricane season.

Yeah, we are loosely planning this..

I'm glad I put my foot down when my wife insisted that everything in the house and garage must be relocated to the boat.

Yikes!! Definitely don't want to do that. Want to do as minimual stuff as possible, if I like it.. .then I can get rid of even more stuff on the home front when we come back.

You might find that this is the best advice. Boats have a very finite amount of storage. If your dishes are currently something thin like Corel ware then take them but if they are anything thicker don’t. Same with pots and pans, don’t bother bringing your Le Creuset. In a home I always thought multifunction tools did a poor job at everything. On a boat there is only room for tools that can do more than one job.

Downsizing is the hardest part. Once you are there you will be shocked at the freedom and cost savings that come with it.

You might find that this is the best advice. Boats have a very finite amount of storage. If your dishes are currently something thin like Corel ware then take them but if they are anything thicker don’t. Same with pots and pans, don’t bother bringing your Le Creuset. In a home I always thought multifunction tools did a poor job at everything. On a boat there is only room for tools that can do more than one job.

Downsizing is the hardest part. Once you are there you will be shocked at the freedom and cost savings that come with it.

Yeah, the dishes are Corel. I do a lot of cooking, but have limited the amount of kitchen stuff. Like I can use one bowl for several uses. Same idea as we did with the RV. Not afraid to dump stuff on the other end if it doesn't work or I find something that works better. I'm looking forward to the Freedom!!

I have never felt freer in my adult life than when I lived aboard, no dirt ownership or storage....not even a vehicle.

Everything needing tending yo in my life was within 30 something feet.

Coastal cruising along the ACIW is way different than offshore voyaging and island hopping. That advice is pertinent but only if in your plans. Otherwise help, parts and supp,ies are easily obtained and your stress level is only as high as you let it get.

Money in reserve is the key to that "no big deal" attitude....no matter where...it just needs to be more the more remote you cruise.

It has been said, a house fire is the same as 3 moves.

The mistake most people make is putting to much in paid storage. Ten years later they realize they will never want the stored items again and all the money spent was wasted.

Mentally down sizing is the hardest job. Once you get there, you never look back.

What he said. Used furniture has the same value as used carpet. There’s Estate Liquidators in about every town who can sell your stuff for what it’s actually worth, while it’s still in your house. That includes cars, mowers, you name it.
My long time “plan for the future” advice, is to have a condo (I said condo because everything outside is taken care of by the association) you can move back into when the time comes. Rents are crazy high now, so you likely will have a very strong cash flow as it appreciates. Boats don’t.

I am amazed at how much stuff I have that when it gets right down to it I really don't care if it's gone. Kind of liberating the more we get rid of..

Even as a single guy who never liked clutter, was always good at getting rid of things I didn't need or want, and moving out of a modestly sized house... It was still impressive how much crap I had. I didn't really want 90% of it, and I was glad to be rid of almost all of it. I could care less if I ever own a full set of dining room furniture again, and I'm going to try really hard to never own another lawnmower or snowblower.

In fact, aside from practical things like my full size water heater and laundry machines, the only thing I can think of that I miss is that tall book case I had in the corner of my living room. It was just a flat pack build-it-yourself job. I didn't need it. I rarely took anything from it, and it didn't hold an impressive collection of anything. I just... liked being near it. It made the place feel homey and cozy.

Even though I was excited to be moving, and excited to get rid of all my crap, the process of actually doing it was still stressful. Figuring out what to keep, what to store, where to store it, what to sell, and what to throw away. How do you have a house sale? I've never done that before... When and how am I actually going to DO all of these things? I'll have to hire a truck to move some stuff. Maybe I'll get some movers? Where will I sleep when my bed is in storage? Then there's the 12 years of conversations that you and your neighbors never got around to having, that's all gonna come out.

It's all an exercise in logistics that I'd really rather someone else did for me. ALEXA! TAKE CARE OF ALL OF MY JUNK PLEASE! ALEXA!? ARE YOU EVEN LISTENING TO ME??

Best of luck with the big move!

It's all an exercise in logistics that I'd really rather someone else did for me. ALEXA! TAKE CARE OF ALL OF MY JUNK PLEASE! ALEXA!? ARE YOU EVEN LISTENING TO ME??

Best of luck with the big move!

YES THIS!! Sometimes I wish the choice was out of my hands. It is really stressful... but eventually it will be over right?? That is what I keep telling myself when I just want to put my head between my knees and panic...

What he said. Used furniture has the same value as used carpet. There’s Estate Liquidators in about every town who can sell your stuff for what it’s actually worth, while it’s still in your house. That includes cars, mowers, you name it.
My long time “plan for the future” advice, is to have a condo (I said condo because everything outside is taken care of by the association) you can move back into when the time comes. Rents are crazy high now, so you likely will have a very strong cash flow as it appreciates. Boats don’t.

Yeah... agree on the furniture. Keeping what we need for the apartment and a couple sentimental pieces that I love.. the rest is out of here...

YES THIS!! Sometimes I wish the choice was out of my hands. It is really stressful... but eventually it will be over right?? That is what I keep telling myself when I just want to put my head between my knees and panic...

Wait until you die and then, it will be someone else's problem.
My dad had a garage full of stuff. I asked him if he was going to take care and clean it up before he died, his response was one work, "Nope". And he didn't. LOL

Wait until you die and then, it will be someone else's problem.
My dad had a garage full of stuff. I asked him if he was going to take care and clean it up before he died, his response was one work, "Nope". And he didn't. LOL

Yeah.. There will still be stuff, but I would like to have less for the kids to deal with...

Yeah.. There will still be stuff, but I would like to have less for the kids to deal with...

LOL, you dealt with them until they moved out. This is payback. LOL

I would go and visit them, dad would sneak stuff in my car. I would not find it until I unpacked the car at home. This went on for more than a few years and until I snuck a 5 pound rock in his car. He saw the humor and I didn't get anymore stuff in my car. GRIN

Last edited:
LOL, you dealt with them until they moved out. This is payback. LOL

I would go and visit them, dad would sneak stuff in my car. I would not find it until I unpacked the car at home. This went on for more than a few years and until I snuck a 5 pound rock in his car. He saw the humor and I didn't get anymore stuff in my car. GRIN

Definitely would seem like Karma... :rofl:

we all think about untying the lines

Unfortunately it ain’t simple. End of day you’re trading one system of complexities for another. It’s about quality of life. Boat problems are real, physical problems. Something works or doesn’t. That’s the easy part. It’s the other crap that isn’t. When you go cruising you don’t leave it all behind. You create distance from those issues which often makes it more stressful. Maybe there’s people who lived in isolation on land so can live in isolation on the water. Haven’t met any yet.

I like your philosophy Hippocampus, we have been thinking about this great Caribbean tour for years. Finally downsized to a trawler figured bigger is not always better after a CPMY and SP convertible. The question is how much do we really want to disconnect, i imagine after this pandemic many have been with out a proper vacation for years so this adds to the problem. How long is long enough, and how much stress do we really want to take with us. I agree the more managing of rentals, assets, etc. the more stress one will take with them. WIFI is a must half the week for us, still waiting on Starlink. I think for people considering the life on water do it for a few months before selling off too much.
I really think we will like it but our longest passage was 2 weeks , hundreds of smaller trips. I think we will start with a month then a season and so on.
Muirgen Afloat:
Take it easy on weight , i did not see hardly any of my house hold goods doing much good on boat. Glass will all be broken by end of trip. also remember where you store your weight top heavy is not good it will lift up and fly right out of cabinet. Everyone remembers that crazy forecast weather trip where that white squall came out of no where and everything ended up on the floor.:nonono::hide:

Last edited:
Key-Goose. very few things on my boat are glass. The coffee pot, the butter dish and sugar bowl.
If one starts hearing noises, it just stuff in the closet settling. LOL

Assuming one does not want to shop ..... extra 12vt freezer, water maker walking on cases of mixed can goods.. LOL
And maybe traveling at 5-6 knots. If I am real careful and lucky, I should be able to travel about 2000 miles on 400 gallons. That is assuming the wind, currents are in my favor.

Last edited:
Everything for cooking and serving down to utensils is different for boats and houses if you’re actively cruising. Have hosts of collapsible bowls, silicone everything, smaller pots, pans. The ergonomics and space concern is different. Your preferences will be different.
Same with clothes. Everything we wear is synthetic. No cotton. No natural fibers. Half the space twice the function. High tech clothes just work better. Buy camping, skiing, and golf clothes off season. Stay away from boating clothes where possible except hats.
So I have a wedding/ funeral suit, pair of socks, shirt etc. that’s it.

Everything for cooking and serving down to utensils is different for boats and houses if you’re actively cruising. Have hosts of collapsible bowls, silicone everything, smaller pots, pans. The ergonomics and space concern is different. Your preferences will be different.
Same with clothes. Everything we wear is synthetic. No cotton. No natural fibers. Half the space twice the function. High tech clothes just work better. Buy camping, skiing, and golf clothes off season. Stay away from boating clothes where possible except hats.
So I have a wedding/ funeral suit, pair of socks, shirt etc. that’s it.

Wifey B: No Cotton? :eek::eek: Heresy. :nonono::nonono::mad::rofl:

Wifey B: No Cotton? :eek::eek: Heresy. :nonono::nonono::mad::rofl:

When cotton gets wet, it stays wet.
When polyester gets wet, it dries quickly.

Protocol for RCMSAR includes a ban on cotton clothing. Wear cotton, you are unwelcome on the SAR boat.

This may not matter in Florida, but here where the water temp is cold, the air temp can also be cold, being wet can quickly lead to hypothermia, so is to be avoided.

Last edited:
When cotton gets wet, it stays wet.
When polyester gets wet, it dries quickly.

Protocol for RCMSAR includes a ban on cotton clothing. Wear cotton, you are unwelcome on the SAR boat.

This may not matter in Florida, but here where the water temp is cold, the air temp can also be cold, being wet can quickly lead to hypothermia, so is to be avoided.

Wifey B: I don't do cold much. :hide:

If it gets wet, take it off. :)

I have cold weather and water gear and such but just for normal every day wear, do wear a lot of cotton. Also synthetics. But I also have lots of changes of clothes with me. :D

We don’t need no stinking cotton

You stink. Wear cotton it’s stinks. Stink and stains don’t wash out as well out of cotton. The high tech washes for cold weather clothes and simple real Dawn or the magic stuff my wife knows about works on synthetics.

Koliver is dead right about cold. But also wicking fabrics do better in hot, humid. Black for shade and white for sun.

Same with clothes. Everything we wear is synthetic. No cotton. No natural fibers. Half the space twice the function. High tech clothes just work better. Buy camping, skiing, and golf clothes off season. ...

Maybe for cold weather, but plastic, i.e., synthetic are miserable in hot weather. I know people swear by them, I just swear at them. I have a set of plastic, aka, athletic shirts I bought 20+ years ago! :eek: Dang things are still good but I won't wear them in warm weather, only cold.

Last summer I bought long sleeved T shirts in cotton and plastic to use when sailing. The plastic shirts are just hot and miserable as soon as I put them on. We are going sailing soon and those shirts will not be going. They are great for cold weather though. The cotton T shirts are comfortable in hot weather. Just bought some more to take sailing.

Tried to buy some linen clothes last year but that was a fiasco due to the vendor.

I have a bunch of plastic cold weather clothes. The really warm stuff is as bulky as my wool. I use both but prefer wool. :D The plastic stuff can really smell after awhile. :eek:

Later,
Dan

I live in south humid Florida i do remember something about cotton my parents in the old days maybe talking about it...lol
I also think someone mentioned cruising range, i been watching the flo-scans and i can start going on about a good slow burn. i don't want to high jack Murigen's thread i may see them afloat in Bahamas will owe them some cold drinks ..��
but point me the way to fuel burn and range discussions i love it...mano a mono lets go��

Want some nice cotton pull overs? Check with cottonseed.com
I have 7 of their 5 button shirts, all the same color, what they call "natural". Over the years of washing they lighten up. Yes, they do come in different colors but then, you have to sort through them and wash colors together.
For shorts, patagonia.com. All the same color. Sort of hard wearing canvas.
Too many years wearing uniforms LOL Plus, I can get dressed in the dark.
Hat, Tilley hat.
Everything seems to be expensive but, they last for 10 years.
I think I am on my last purchase. SMILE

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom