Old 05-01-2021, 06:01 PM   #1

City: Yukon River
Tools for full time cruising

I'm not new to equipment and boat maintenance and am pretty handy at fixing and fabricating. However, I'm also aware that space is at a premium when living full time on a boat. My wife and I are selling our home/business and most of my tools will be going with it. I'm obviously going to be keeping my tools for doing electrical work and a couple tool boxes with hand tools (wrenches, socket sets, screwdrivers, ect...) and since all the impacts here are pneumatic, I'll be trading up for battery powered tools there. I wouldn't imagine I have any justification for bringing a welder, especially since I'll most likely end up with a fiberglass boat. Other than a cordless drill what else do folks keep on board? Sawsall, grinder, sonic crafter type tools, hole saw? Thanks!

Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 06:44 PM   #2
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
This will keep you busy until the most current answers start popping up:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...archid=5892267

search > advanced search > "tools" > search titles only

Old 05-01-2021, 06:53 PM   #3

Thanks. Should have searched harder I see. Sorry about that.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:03 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen View Post
Thanks. Should have searched harder I see. Sorry about that.
No problem. Even a slope foreheaded, unibrowed, knuckle dragging lout like me picks a few things up over the years
Old 05-01-2021, 07:12 PM   #5
Guru

If you really want to burrow to the bottom of the Internet rabbit hole, try...

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

by typing your search item, in this case "essential tools" in quotation marks, followed by your search area, in this case trawler outside the quotation marks, then hit enter/return.

Good way to fritter away some time!
Old 05-01-2021, 07:41 PM   #6
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
It depends on the boat...lotsa wood, hardly any..?

For my 1988 trawler I have tools that pretty much mimick what I had in my house. They take up a huge amount of storage space and space that others may never think if or use as storage space. No stationary tools, but all the portable power ones. Plus hand tools all the way up to heavy equipment repair.

It also depends on if you cruise locally and have dirt type storage or plan on getting some.

Pretty much every hand tool you have ever used around the house or in the garage can come in handy sooner or later.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
If you really want to burrow to the bottom of the Internet rabbit hole, try...

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

by typing your search item, in this case "essential tools" in quotation marks, followed by your search area, in this case trawler outside the quotation marks, then hit enter/return.

Good way to fritter away some time!
I appreciate your patience. My Google Foo is very weak. If you need to drop a guy off in the wilderness with a boat load of tools and have him build you a home, I'm your guy. However, searching the internet and most other things involving tedious technology is not my strong suit.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:10 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
I appreciate your patience. My Google Foo is very weak. If you need to drop a guy off in the wilderness with a boat load of tools and have him build you a home, I'm your guy. However, searching the internet and most other things involving tedious technology is not my strong suit.
No problem. I was a mild mannered hiker/paddler/boater until a massive industrial project threatened our town/river/coastline, then I became quite proficient at squirrelling around the Internet digging up information.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:13 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
besides the obvious hand tools I keep onboard:

Vibrating saw/sander
Dremel rotary tool kit
Dremel mini circular saw
mini air compressor
battery operated drill and driver
mini wet dry vac
Heat gun
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:16 PM   #10

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
Quote:
I'm not new to equipment and boat maintenance and am pretty handy at fixing and fabricating. However, I'm also aware that space is at a premium when living full time on a boat. My wife and I are selling our home/business and most of my tools will be going with it. I'm obviously going to be keeping my tools for doing electrical work and a couple tool boxes with hand tools (wrenches, socket sets, screwdrivers, ect...) and since all the impacts here are pneumatic, I'll be trading up for battery powered tools there. I wouldn't imagine I have any justification for bringing a welder, especially since I'll most likely end up with a fiberglass boat. Other than a cordless drill what else do folks keep on board? Sawsall, grinder, sonic crafter type tools, hole saw? Thanks!
SO I figured out what worked for me on a fairly space starved 49' sailboat and now on much more spacious MYs is
~One 24" - 36" tool box with;
~ electrical tools,
~same for mechanical tools
~ same for percussive instruments/saws
~small socket set
~120v drill
~cordless drill & cordless right angle drill

Then 12" X 12" X 2" multi-section boxes compartment boxes for;
~electrical fittings;
~stainless fittings;
~fasteners;
~plastic bits, cable ties etc.

The multi boxes from "the container store" are amazing and have lasted me 16 years with no failures to closures or hinges.

I generally only need to take one or two boxes to a project since I HATE having to constantly retrieve tools.

~A
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
It depends on the boat...lotsa wood, hardly any..?

For my 1988 trawler I have tools that pretty much mimick what I had in my house. They take up a huge amount of storage space and space that others may never think if or use as storage space. No stationary tools, but all the portable power ones. Plus hand tools all the way up to heavy equipment repair.

It also depends on if you cruise locally and have dirt type storage or plan on getting some.

Pretty much every hand tool you have ever used around the house or in the garage can come in handy sooner or later.
Good points and info. Thanks. I'm sure we will buy some land somewhere in one of the areas we frequent sooner or later but I'm in no hurry. To build and operate the facility we have here, where we deal with boats, snowmachines, and both fixed and rotary wing aircraft as well as their fueling needs, I've accumulated lots of "tools". I realize it's a boat so continuous maintenance is a requirement, but compared to the 22 engines I need to keep running and serviced here, (not to mention the lodge and other structures) a boat and tender seem like a breath of fresh air. So, i'm going to avoid anything that adds additional labor if at all possible. Wood is beautiful, but if I can avoid any exterior wood I will. I'll be sure to grab my torque wrenches for sure. (Almost forgot about those. Thanks for making me think of it. It was the reference to heavy equipment. )

I appreciate your input. Thanks again.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:26 PM   #12

Ksanders and Alant, thanks for the suggestions. I genuinely appreciate it.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:39 PM   #13

Hey MurrayM, tried to send you a pm. Doesn't look like it worked. Perhaps my post count is to low. Don't remember if this forum has a minimum post count before PM's are enabled.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:45 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Hey MurrayM, tried to send you a pm. Doesn't look like it worked. Perhaps my post count is to low. Don't remember if this forum has a minimum post count before PM's are enabled.
The PM worked...I was just away from the computer doing Real Life stuff.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Stuart, Fl
As we are going to close on our house in about a month and packing what we’re keeping and selling the rest, tools have been an issue I’m working on also. We’re also still shopping for a boat. Maybe ‘zeroing in on one’ would be better said. I just sold 6’ of my 12’ of tool boxes. The other 6’ will go into storage with the leftover house stuff and an Alfa Romeo.
When looking at a boat, and in the engine room/s I’m looking at what tools are already on board and comparing it to how long the current owner has had the boat, figuring he/she has kept it well enough for me to consider buying it, and obviously has the ‘correct’ tools I’ll need also. So, I want the box and boxes and all the tools and supplies that are there. And I’ll take pictures at closing of everything so hopefully I’ll know what’s needed, just in case I can’t work into the deal.
Yachtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 03:59 AM   #16

City: Cairns
An aligned question is where to keep them?

I've got the luxury of a large engine room, soon to be even larger when some gensets disappear. I'm also converting a small cabin into dedicated storage. I'm thinking that I spend a lot more time making and repairing items inside than in the engine bay so I'll make that the toolstore/workshop. I'll be able to squeeze in a small bench and have access for longer items.

What jobs do others spend most time doing and where do they find best to store everything?

Let me know if this is thread drift and I'll repost elsewhere

Cheers
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:21 AM   #17

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: Artemis
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 67
What a question! My experience is you cannot have enough tools.
I think the question is in two parts. Where you plan on cruising. And your competency.
I cruised the eastern Caribbean for 7 years. During that time I took my port engine out twice (120hp Lehman) The first to fit a new oil pump and the second time to change a camshaft and cam followers. local mechanics with the ability are rare. And certainly not reliable. Sit down and write the jobs you think you are capable off. Then make the list of tools required. I carry enough tools to build a boat from scratch. Some table saw, radial saw etc, I buy and sell after i've finished the job. I probably carry 15-20 110vac tools.
Long distance and explorer cruising, the only person you can rely on is yourself. Do the engineering courses for your engines. Make sure you feel competent in stripping any of your equipment, and have the spares to repair and or replace. We carry a plumbing toolbox, a electrical toolbox. 2 large mechanical tool chests. a woodworking chest. around 15 plastic screw box's full of nuts , bolts screws, electrical terminals etc. Spare circuit breakers. Oil , oil and fuel filters, spare fanbelts , Distilled water, And so much more. Luckily I also have a large stand up engine room.
Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:36 AM   #18
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
The answer really depends on the boat.

Toting a welder on a plastic boat makes no sense .Likewise to a ton of woodworking tools on a fairly modern boat, no need.

Keep you favorite hand tools, wrenches, sockets, pliers, screwdrivers, etc. Get rid of EVERYTHING else. (Boy am I going to catch "flack" on that statement)

Once you are on the boat buy brand new tools for sanding, grinding, screw pushing, etc. You will absolutely need these but a brand new set of battery powered tools with matching batteries, (which are also new) and a single charging station will be very nice.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:05 AM   #19

Yachtman, GoneDiving, Martin, and Pete. Lots of good thoughts here. A large "spacious?" engine room is one of the attributes I'm looking for while researching different hull layouts and manufacturers. Don't hesitate to throw in additional questions that parallel my original post, as long as it reasonably pertains to the topic at hand it's all informative. Pete, I wouldn't go put your flame suit just yet. That's kind of how I'm leaning. I'm trying to make decisions based off of a boat that is at this point imaginary. As much as I dislike the idea of needing to repurchase tools I already own, whoever buys this place will need them anyway, and then I can make sure what I need to store and pack around is absolutely applicable to the boat itself. I like the idea of purchasing and then selling especially larger cumbersome carpentry tools.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:59 AM   #20
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
LOL I bought my Nordhavn46 down from Long Island to Ft Lauderdale FL. The condition of the main engine and get home engine was totally unknown to me.
Just incase, I bought a couple pliers, water pump pliers, couple of adjustable wrenches, one straight blade screw driver and one Phillips screw driver. Never had to use any of the tools.
When I settled in my boat slip, I started buying tools...... On the N46 I had lots of room for tools. On the American Tug34, very little room for tools. In the basement, I have 2 tool bags on board and one in the storeroom, I have one small tool box under a step. I would suggest a couple of pipe wrenches too. Now electrical ..... lots of crimp fittings, spools of wire of the appropriate size. Dont forget hose clamps and length of hose for the common dia. hose on board. I have a battery operated drill, 90degree adapter, set of drill bits with extras for the tiny drills and other commonly used drill bits. I have additional battery operated tools in the storeroom, all the same brand so the batteries can be swapped between tool.
What I have discovered is, I use very few of the tools.
Spare FW pump, alternator for the main engine. (someone has recommended a spare starter) Spare impellers for main engine and generator, rebuild kit for the head, belts, filters etc. Spare baskets for the SW strainers.
Try to remember where you put everything too. LOL
Enough oil and filters to do an oil change on the main engine and generator.
More than a few Racor filters for main and generator, 1 gallon diesel fuel to fill up the Racor filter housings

Dont forget a couple of wire coat hangers and long claw gadget to retrieve things you have dropped into the bilges.
That should give you a fair start.