Old 05-02-2021, 12:28 PM   #21
Guru

City: Northwest Nevada, currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post

Dont forget a couple of wire coat hangers and long claw gadget to retrieve things you have dropped into the bilges.
That should give you a fair start.

Lol. Yes, the first new tools I had to run out and buy when I bought my first “inboard” boat was a couple different styles of pick up devices.

Alaskaflyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 02:51 PM   #22
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
All that I listed and I forgot to mention, gasket material.

Old 05-02-2021, 04:41 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
A couple of years ago I went from my Dewalt battery powered tools to Ridgid battery tools. No affiliation. But I love that they have a lifetime warranty if you register them online within 90 days, including batteries. I have some fans that run off the batteries or 120 volt. They will run on low for a couple of days. I use the multi tools a lot. Drills and drivers are a must. I keep a couple of each on board. Portable LED lights that run off the same batteries. We have a complete set of mechanics tools, including 1/4”, 3/8” and 1/2” drive socket sets. I have attached Bob Smiths recommendations for tools needed to maintain Ford Lehmans.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Recommended On-board Tools.pdf (369.2 KB, 14 views)
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 05:58 PM   #24
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
As far as stowage...most people wouldn't think of it, but I store most of mine on and alongside of my 2 fresh water tanks that fill most of the room under my queen master berth.

I have what many homeowners have squeezed into the 8 inches above the tank and the spare room all around. Lift the mattress and a piece of plywood and have ready access to dozens of battery powered tools, hand tools, miter box, etc...etc...etc....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:10 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Ah yes, you expand the list even more.....
Old 05-03-2021, 07:42 AM   #26
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Definitely a battery-powered Sawzall. One has saved me great heartache a couple of times. I actually wrench, too. Milwaukee has a great line of all sorts of tools. Consider a Fein vibrating tool also. Another must have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen View Post
I'm not new to equipment and boat maintenance and am pretty handy at fixing and fabricating. However, I'm also aware that space is at a premium when living full time on a boat. My wife and I are selling our home/business and most of my tools will be going with it. I'm obviously going to be keeping my tools for doing electrical work and a couple tool boxes with hand tools (wrenches, socket sets, screwdrivers, ect...) and since all the impacts here are pneumatic, I'll be trading up for battery powered tools there. I wouldn't imagine I have any justification for bringing a welder, especially since I'll most likely end up with a fiberglass boat. Other than a cordless drill what else do folks keep on board? Sawsall, grinder, sonic crafter type tools, hole saw? Thanks!
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:29 AM   #27
Guru

City: Northwest Nevada, currently
Yes, my oscillating multi tool has become somewhat of a go-to, largely leaving my sawzall languishing in its bag. Most of the stuff I used to use the sawzall for, the oscillating blade does just as well, with much better precision. Of course if I wanted to cut a boat in half…
Alaskaflyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:43 PM   #28

City: Yukon River
Great stuff guys! Very helpful. Even though I have it on the shelf here, I know I'd forget to grab more RTV until I found myself needing it.

psneeld, when you say miterbox, are you toting a 12" compound chopsaw, or an actual miter box with hand saw? Just curious.

I was wondering about at least having the sonic/oscillating tool along. It'd be nice for enlarging holes in fiberglass if need be or other tasks like that.

Does anyone ever find themselves needing to thread pipe? I can think of a time when it wouldn't be either plastic or stainless, but figured I'd ask.

Thanks again for all the responses!
Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:23 PM   #29

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen View Post
Great stuff guys! Very helpful. Even though I have it on the shelf here, I know I'd forget to grab more RTV until I found myself needing it.

psneeld, when you say miterbox, are you toting a 12" compound chopsaw, or an actual miter box with hand saw? Just curious.

I was wondering about at least having the sonic/oscillating tool along. It'd be nice for enlarging holes in fiberglass if need be or other tasks like that.

Does anyone ever find themselves needing to thread pipe? I can think of a time when it wouldn't be either plastic or stainless, but figured I'd ask.

Thanks again for all the responses!
You know, the one thing I appreciate the most, and gets more use than you might imagine is a bench vise. On my last boat I had to remove it from storage, set it up in the 3rd cabin and then clean up my mess and put it all away - I still got use out of it. On my current boat I have a permanently installed vise which I used yesterday, and the day before and last week. So its big and heavy and rusts like a demon if you don't look after it but it has made my list.
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:41 PM   #30

City: Yukon River
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanT View Post
You know, the one thing I appreciate the most, and gets more use than you might imagine is a bench vise. On my last boat I had to remove it from storage, set it up in the 3rd cabin and then clean up my mess and put it all away - I still got use out of it. On my current boat I have a permanently installed vise which I used yesterday, and the day before and last week. So its big and heavy and rusts like a demon if you don't look after it but it has made my list.
From looking at videos people have done on their boats, I often see a vise mentioned. It seems like a great addition even if you really don't have dedicated space for it. You've clearly found a way to make it work. Have you tried keeping your vise hosed down with some CRC spray of some kind to help fight the rust? Or keep it wrapped in a towel loaded up with any type of corrosion inhibitor? You could use a small action packer to make it easier to store and move without having the lube make a mess of everything it touches. Just a thought.
Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:45 AM   #31
Guru

Vise!!! 2 boats needed a vise.
My N46 and now my AT34.
The ER of the N46 was totally cluttered and had NO space.
The ER of the AT34 has space over the main engine but, cleaning up after use would be very time consuming. Plus I dont want metal shaving in the ER.
Results, no vise onboard. SHRUG
I have considered mounting on a long board but, where to store it on a AT34 is the problem. LOL

Question: If you watch TV enough, you have seen the infomercial on the electric. small, circular saw. (the name escapes me) Anyone have experience with one?
Old 05-04-2021, 05:57 AM   #32

City: NE Florida
watching youtube the other day....don't recall the channel.... the guy mounted a vice to the under side of an under seat settee storage hatch in a sail boat.

looking at photos recently of some random boat for sale, they had a bench grinder permanently mounted in the engine room. wire wheel on one side.... i can imagine that coming in handy for cleaning small parts....
skyhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:59 AM   #33

City: Here and there
I have a Wilton clamp on vise. Just a matter of finding a non-damaging place on the boat to attach it or a convenient board on a dock. It has come in handy but since it’s not something I use every day, it can be stowed out of the way.
Porgy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:50 AM   #34
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Vise!!! 2 boats needed a vise.
My N46 and now my AT34.
The ER of the N46 was totally cluttered and had NO space.
The ER of the AT34 has space over the main engine but, cleaning up after use would be very time consuming. Plus I dont want metal shaving in the ER.
Results, no vise onboard. SHRUG
I have considered mounting on a long board but, where to store it on a AT34 is the problem...
I mounted a small-ish vise to about a 2’ piece of 2x8 which stores fairly easily.

Somewhat awkward to use as you have to employ seated on ground with both feet holding the ends third world tactics, but waaaay better than having no vice.

For bigger jobs, jamming one end of the board under the docks bull rail lets you lean into it.
Old Today, 04:13 PM   #35
Veteran Member

City: Green Cove Springs
Vessel Name: Laa-Dee-Dah
Vessel Model: 64’ Grand Banks Aleutian
I have found a battery powered grinder particularly helpful when having to cut chain, shackles, etc. Battery powered drill with ½" chuck versus a ⅜"chuck is essential to accommodate more than ½ drill bit.

garychurch is online now   Reply With Quote