Threshold for Liveaboard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another great exercise in that often a question on TF is difficult or can't be directly answered because of so many different realities, experiences, possibilities....... :D

Asking specific and not generic or broad questions helps if looking for a specific answer. If you want the full range of possibilities....ask away!

Well, yeah.
Because of Covid, I’ve been working remote for 18 months. Because of boating, we’re searching for the next trawler. So, I hope to figure out how much realistic boat and work hours I can combine. Plus it depends on the admiral.

I’ve got no idea. But looking at scenarios.

Well, yeah.
Because of Covid, I’ve been working remote for 18 months. Because of boating, we’re searching for the next trawler. So, I hope to figure out how much realistic boat and work hours I can combine. Plus it depends on the admiral.

I'd start by defining how many nights I want to stay aboard, in a row, per week and per month. Then contact marinas and get on the waiting lists for marinas that will accommodate your plan.

One of my neighbors is a work-aboard. He has a "remote" job and uses the boat as an office all week, going home each evening. And then the family joins him on the weekend to play on the boat and around the marina, staying aboard a night or two each week. He isn't considered a liveaboard under the marinas rules as the boat can have people spending the night 8 nights per month. And he gets a really inexpensive quiet office and significant tax deduction for his 5 day per week business use.

Yeah, I think every region is different and every marina within that region is likely to have its own rules, too. I lived for ten years in a marina in Oregon that was legally permitted (by the county) to have a maximum of four liveaboards. The reason, in our case, was septic tank capacity. The entire marina was on a septic system with a big sand filter and leech lines. I knew of other marinas which were limited by local ordinances, though probably not all.

I recently spent quite a bit of time looking for a slip in San Diego (and finally backed out of a boat purchase because I was unsuccessful.) Down here it seems that anyone can have a liveaboard slip as long as they pay their $400/month. I imagine that is probably due to the fact that San Diego is a good wintering spot and a common preparation/jump-off point for cruisers. It would be bad PR to totally break from that tradition.

Most of the marinas around here charge a deposit for a key card (the ones that don't use PIN pads.) And you can get additional ones for a spouse or a boat partner. I'll admit that I've wondered what would happen if you used one card for the allotted number of nights and then the other one for additional nights. But the marinas I would prefer to be at do allow a sufficient number of days for our use that I doubt I would ever need to try it.

The various marinas all have similar but different liveaboard rules. Maximum non-liveaboard nights might be by week or by month, etc. Likewise, some allow AirBNB while others emphatically forbid it. One even seems to value their AirBNB slipholders above the regulars. I would not want to rent in a marina that allows AirBNB. Too many people coming and going. But if I could have got a slip there, I would have accepted it until I could move.

Apparently unlike in North Carolina, here in San Diego every marina has electronically monitored gates and security cameras. Every one I visited did, anyway. One very nice marina manager told me that they do pay attention to those things. He said it is unfair to charge "all of the pilots and flight attendants" liveaboard fees when they aren't there every night and let others spends lots of nights on their boats without paying the fees. (Interesting that pilots and flight attendants are such a big part of their liveaboard clientele, but not surprising once you think about it a bit.)

And as I saw during my hours spent in many marina offices looking for a slip the staff do know the liveaboards and most of the regulars quite well. At one marina a guy came in and the manager and he conversed for quite some time, while I waited. They seemed to be co-workers talking about this or that problem or project going on in the marina. After the guy left, the said "sorry, he owns that boat" and pointed out the window at a yacht in the 60' range that had to cost in the millions. I suddenly felt overdressed in my clean tee shirt, cargo shorts, and Birks.

At another marina I'd been looking at a boat and then visited the office when I was done. After I told them I'd been looking at a boat for sale the first thing they asked was who let me in. And then they checked their computer to confirm it. I was a little put out at first, then I realized that I might really appreciate that attention to detail if my boat were moored there. But don't try to stay more than your allotted nights there.

I did get the impression from almost all of the marina managers that I talked to, that a "good tenant" gets a lot more leeway in most matters than a "bad tenant". But that's kind of a catch-22 since a "good tenant" is probably the one that rarely needs the leeway. They all emphasized that a well-kept boat owned by a quiet couple who pays their bills and doesn't pollute the water is their ideal tenant. A couple of marinas looked at the boat we were buying and our credit score and subtly suggested that we might have suddenly moved to the top of their waiting list. But unfortunately, that wait was still likely to be many months long.

Well, yeah.

Hmmm, worse scenario. My ex-wife tried for LOTS of money and eyeing my N46. I told her to 'pound sand'. I had a very good prenup. I paid per the prenup and kicked in an extra 5K Ever hear of an ex-wife wanted visitation rights on a boat? LOL The visitation parameters became so very convoluted the most she did was bring her dad down to look at the boat.
I paid the attorneys and never looked back.
The yard destroyed my N46.... So I guess the visitation rights disappeared with the constructive loss.
That boat was a money pit but enjoyed bring it back as I did..... If you don't believe me, ask the next 2 owners. LOL Mechanically, the boat was as perfect as one can get. Needed to reset all the windows and correct the internal wood water damage.

This marina has 4 high rise condos (maybe 500+ in each condo) and maybe another room for 500 in low rise condos.
They have enough problems getting the gate code out to all the folks.
Plus, the population in the high rises are primarily Jewish families. They are not permitted to interact with anything electronic+ other things, from sunset Friday to sunrise Saturday (??) The gates are propped open for them during these hours. So much for security.

A number of years ago, while working in Seattle, I was able to secure a slip at Elliott Bay Marina. EBM is an outstanding facility in a killer location that is maintained impeccably. 1,200 slips. Monthly moorage rates, at the time, would take your breath away. That alone kept the poorly-maintained boats out. At the time, liveaboard status required only three qualifiers: first, that you properly notify the marina office, second, that they measure your boat including bow pulpit, swim step, etc for absolute total length to insure that it fits the criteria for said slip, and three, that you pay another 55% liveaboard fee atop your moorage. Believe me, there weren't many liveaboards at that time. Unless their rules have changed, today, the total monthly liveaboard cost for the slip I had back then is $1,650. 54 foot slip. Whew!

Elliot Bay Marina will refuse you a slip if you ask for a liveaboard slip. After renting from them for 6 months they might grant you liveaboard status if they like you. It is a privately opened Marina and they are picky about the quality of boats in the marina.

Elliot Bay Marina will refuse you a slip if you ask for a liveaboard slip. After renting from them for 6 months they might grant you liveaboard status if they like you. It is a privately opened Marina and they are picky about the quality of boats in the marina.

In North Carolina it makes a difference if you help out during hurricanes, or conversely, are not a pain in the backside. Can vary by locality.

That's what I discovered at EBM, as well. 'Lived there for 5 years. They're not very receptive to unreasonable requests or unrespectful people.

14+ nights in any calender month is "liveaboard" at St Petersburg Municipal Marina, and then +~$190/month.

In the PNW the port authorities chose 14 days as the threshold hold. This came from Washington State DNR using this verbiage for differentiating campers from squatters of public lands.

I imagine the squatters would be viewed as OK.... but any taxpayer/slip lessor would be seen as the devil...

14+ nights in any calender month is "liveaboard" at St Petersburg Municipal Marina, and then +~$190/month.

The St Pete marina is a great place. Never stayed there but my bro had a condo overlooking the place. Lots to do in a 2-3 block walk. Even have a Publix within walking distance plus a AMC theater.

Ben - you should call around and ask. Your bigger issue will be finding a slip available. It’s unbelievable how full all of the marinas are, even for weekend transient visits. WiFi is also hard to come by because of how many people are now working from the boat. Make sure you have a solid unlimited hotspot (or other solution) to support your remote work. And good luck in your boat search!

St Pete has been good to us for 3 years, but our slip is an empty rectangle of water while we are on the Loop this year. Still, we kept the slip and are paying the rent while we are away ~10 months. They have a 4y wait list and we look forward to our return to the marina.

One solution to the under-availability of slips is that marinas could do a better job of managing the empty slips of their annual renters. Seems like some do; most don’t. So, tonight I am renting two slips: 1 in St Pete and 1 in Milwaukee where we are docked tonight. It seems wasteful and inefficient to have to consume more than 1 slip per night, and of course the best nights are when we are in no slip at all...

The hassle with renting out empty slips is the return of the renter time will be unknown , and O'nite folks have been known to decide to take the "left behind" dock lines and even power hose on their departure.

I own 2 slips in this marina. 75 and 55 ft slips. I dont use the 75ft anymore. I kept it empty for about 2 years, paying the monthly condo fee. First I rented it out for 6 months and this year, I got an annual renter. I turn the management over to the marina office. I get a little less than I wanted (more money) but, it works out well for me, so far.

That means "naps" count?! Psshahhhh! :)

At the marina I’m at as full time liveaboard,it costs and extra 300 dollars per year for liveaboard status,and the extra money is for keeping bathroom,showers and laundry room,heated for winter,there is about 7 full time liveaboards at this marina

I rent 1 slip to a couple that winter in Florida and stay on the boat for 7 months . I don’t care . The condo doesn’t care. It’s all about being normal and not pissing off people.

Back
Top Bottom