Television Services

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Correction, I have 2x400 watt inverters so as to power each of my 2 TVs and the 2 120vt outlets close to the TVs.
The rest, goes on my 1800 watt inverter, if necessary.
I only have 3x4D batteries so that can be a problem. The microwave does draw a bunch of power (1200 watt) from to 1800 watt inverter and batteries. When I use the inverter and microwave, I see an immediate and significant drain on the batteries. When the microwave is finished, the voltage has a significant increase but not to the original voltage.
I think the longest I have used the microwave, on the inverter, is about 3 minutes. Then the "recovered" voltage is less than 12 volts. NOT good!!!

Keep in mind with 5g the range from the repeater antenna is only 600' or so, therefore it might be an option at a marina but not underway. Plus deployment will start in major metro areas and then expand so it will be some time before it impacts many areas we frequent. The further you are from major metro the longer you will wait.

If you want live sports or TV I would suggest satellite for most variety or an good antenna which will get local channels and is free. Otherwise look at a the streaming options others have suggested.

Satellite internet has potential but cannot be used underway as the antenna will not track at this time.

You are correct I was referring to the current standard residential satellite internet options. There are satellite internet options should you have a larger craft and budget.

I have a Verizon hot spot which helps, Smart TV, and apps on my I-Phone and there are loads of them. Don't watch much except on rainy days or sports.

Thanks

Pau Hana and Lepke, thanks for the info on OTR and Cyberionic. The OTR service might be just the ticket except I was told they're only renewing existing accounts right now and will be launching new plans soon :facepalm:

Pau Hana, I take it you use the router to feed your TV's?

Thanks,

Lucky

One thing to be aware of is that much of the content on Netflix, HBO, PBS, Prime, Acorn, Hulu is only for viewing in the US. If you leave and go to the Bahamas you will need a VPN service to trick them into thinking you are still in the USA. It not a big expense but they can be quite finicky. We are in the Bahamas now and are having decent results with PureVPN, others like Noble VPN.

I think “television service” is an oxymoron.

Maybe “television self- flagellation”?

Or “television self-immolation” ?

Pau Hana and Lepke, thanks for the info on OTR and Cyberionic. The OTR service might be just the ticket except I was told they're only renewing existing accounts right now and will be launching new plans soon :facepalm:

Pau Hana, I take it you use the router to feed your TV's?

Thanks,

Lucky

Yessir- we have it driving a couple of TVs, a wireless printer, and a laptop or phone or 2.

What I OTR data?

OTR=over the road.

Back
Top Bottom