Old 09-22-2021, 08:39 AM   #1

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: Beebe passagemaker 50
Sunrise/Sunset

I know this is probably old hat to those of you who have been liveaboards for years, but I'm only on day 4 so I'm still soaking it all in.. hoping that never changes.
Still on KY time so I've been waking up before sunrise and sitting with my first cup of warmth enjoying it in the morning.
Getting a kick out of the cats watching the seals out the windows as their eyes pop out of their skulls at the monsters in the water.
Don't think I've felt this relaxed in years.. despite the fact we still haven't figured out why the water temp in the shower is still only lukewarm or why a circut breaker or something pops off if you use the coffee pot and microwave at the same time.
Normally I'm anxious after a move until everything has found it's place, but I'm just like whatever, I'll unpack that box later got to watch the seals or the sunset or even take a nap.. don't know what I was thinking to be land locked for some many years. Glad that got corrected!!
Old 09-22-2021, 09:10 AM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Know the feeling! Nothing like the first few days when cruising at a leisurely pace.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:15 AM   #3

City: Hickory
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Classico Pilothouse
Welcome to being a live aboard. I am 10 weeks ahead of you and my favorite time is sun rise with a cup of coffee. Sunsets are more social but that is my time. Enjoy the slow unwind. My coffee maker and toaster do not play well together. It’s to much of load on the circuit. Easy fix— coffee first.
STroutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:38 AM   #4

City: calabasas
Vessel Name: Unicorn
Vessel Model: 1970 50' DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER Timber
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muirgen Afloat View Post
why the water temp in the shower is still only lukewarm
oh yeah nothing beats that first and second cup of coffee.

you may want to check around your water heater it could have a temp control valve that's adjustable.
ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:11 AM   #5
Guru

City: Currently hiding out in Smith, NV, USA
Sunrise/Sunset

My guess is the hot water is mixing with cold water somewhere at a valved bypass loop arrangement. Most easily diagnosed – other than by tracing the lines - by testing the temperature as it exits the water heater itself

Other than that, sounds wonderful.
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:14 PM   #6
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
The coffee pot/microwave tripping is an easy one. In a typical home built in the last 50 years, the kitchen has to have a minimum of 2 - 20 amp circuits. The receptacles will be staggered so that the microwave will be on a different circuit than the coffee pot plugged in a few feet away. Even plugged into the same receptacle its possible a single 20 amp circuit can handle both CP and MW at the same time.
On a boat, the receptacles in the galley are most likely on the same circuit breaker. So 1200 watts of MW plus 1000 watts of CP equals much more than a single 15 amp breaker can handle for more than a few seconds.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Englewood, FL
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Know the feeling! Nothing like the first few days when cruising at a leisurely pace.

Ted
Excited to get cruising, but have a few boat outfitting and repairs to do first.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by STroutman View Post
Welcome to being a live aboard. I am 10 weeks ahead of you and my favorite time is sun rise with a cup of coffee. Sunsets are more social but that is my time. Enjoy the slow unwind. My coffee maker and toaster do not play well together. It’s to much of load on the circuit. Easy fix— coffee first.
Jealous of the 10 years.. but at least we are doing it now. Agree... coffee is first!! Sunrise is rapidly becoming my favorite too.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Boulder
Vessel Name: Skipper
Vessel Model: Everglades DC230
thanks for sharing those thoughts, Muirgen Afloat! I'm about 8 years out from hopefully doing the same. So good to hear that you made a good decision. We are a bit jealous. In a good way.
H2O_Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofer View Post

you may want to check around your water heater it could have a temp control valve that's adjustable.
It doesn't unfortunately.. it's weird, it's warm, then cold, then warm again.. UGH!
Old 09-23-2021, 09:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskaflyer View Post
My guess is the hot water is mixing with cold water somewhere at a valved bypass loop arrangement. Most easily diagnosed – other than by tracing the lines - by testing the temperature as it exits the water heater itself

Other than that, sounds wonderful.
hmm... will have to check that out. Scot doesn't think it's the problem, but since we don't know what is.. maybe.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post
thanks for sharing those thoughts, Muirgen Afloat! I'm about 8 years out from hopefully doing the same. So good to hear that you made a good decision. We are a bit jealous. In a good way.
Hope you can.. it's wonderful!
Old 09-23-2021, 11:47 AM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofer View Post

Wifey B: Don't drink coffee so can't relate.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:55 AM   #14
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by STroutman View Post
Permanent fix- separate the load by either finding another outlet using a different breaker of wire another outlet nearby with a separate/new breaker. If using the outlet near the galley sink, it should be GFCI which can present its own issues.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 03:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
The coffee pot/microwave tripping is an easy one. In a typical home built in the last 50 years, the kitchen has to have a minimum of 2 - 20 amp circuits. The receptacles will be staggered so that the microwave will be on a different circuit than the coffee pot plugged in a few feet away. Even plugged into the same receptacle its possible a single 20 amp circuit can handle both CP and MW at the same time.
On a boat, the receptacles in the galley are most likely on the same circuit breaker. So 1200 watts of MW plus 1000 watts of CP equals much more than a single 15 amp breaker can handle for more than a few seconds.
We will probably up grade on the amp thing.. it's a work in progress. We are use to juggling power requirements in our RV when we are hooked up to 30 amps. But this seems a little quick to pop off.. so we will see what come of it.
Old 09-23-2021, 03:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Permanent fix- separate the load by either finding another outlet using a different breaker of wire another outlet nearby with a separate/new breaker. If using the outlet near the galley sink, it should be GFCI which can present its own issues.
We've seperated them further.. but haven't checked yet to see if that fixed the issue.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:29 AM   #17
TF Site Team

Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Breaker tripping

From Hubby Muirgen: (as opposed to Wifey Muirgen) Re/ breaker tripping, just to clarify, this is not an individual breaker for microwave/water heater, etc tripping, it is the 30 amp breaker on the boat, just prior to the isolation transformer that is tripping. Microwave, each water heater, etc are on separate breakers, but that is not what is tripping. The pedestal breaker is not tripping, only the first breaker current goes through on the boat. I suspect either loose connection, weak breaker (although both the isolation transformer and main breaker are less than 2 years old), improper sized wiring, or incorrect install. The shore power line is fine, no arcing, or damaged terminals. That's one of the first things I checked. Just need to chase down why the 30 amp breaker is tripping . . . . .
Old 09-24-2021, 01:01 PM   #18
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
So, you don't also have the high-draw gear like water heater, hair dryer, etc. running when this 30-Amp boat breaker trips? If that is the case, then yes, I think you are on the right track.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:33 AM   #19
TF Site Team

Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
So, you don't also have the high-draw gear like water heater, hair dryer, etc. running when this 30-Amp boat breaker trips? If that is the case, then yes, I think you are on the right track.

Rich, it will definitely trip if the water(s) are on, so they are typically left when we are using any other high draw appliances like clothes dryer, microwave, etc. Just comparing it to our Class A motorhome, where we can run water heater, microwave, and roof top AC unit (only one at a time) plus smaller loads on one 30 amp shore power.
Old 10-08-2021, 03:00 PM   #20

City: St. Louis
I would say the warm then cold then warm then cold is from your water pump cycling. When it cycles on you get a momentary increase in cold water then it gets warm, repeaters every time the pump cycles on and off. Installing an accumulator tank on you water system will eliminate this problem.
Wonderfullife is offline   Reply With Quote