Is the Sun Improving your Health?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Portuguese

Guru
Vessel Name
Rainha Jannota
Vessel Make
Curruira 46
Dear Liveaboards

I think that the issue in this thread may not concern much the liveaboards who live above the tropic in higher latitudes. However, for those below it or in places where the Sun shines frequently, I wonder if your health quality improved or not after moving to the boat.
The reason for this question was generated by the ideas that just came to my mind after reading the book from Dr. Soram Khalsa, “The Vitamin D Revolution”, which I am here and now strongly recommending. He claims that vitamin D deficiency is worse worldwide after the giants of pharmaceutical Industry bombed the planet with continuous marketing campaigns about the risks of exposure to sunlight. The more dangerous the sunlight is, more sun protection products they sell, obviously
Who’s right or wrong about the sunlight issue, is not the subject of my thread. Dr. Soram claims that Vitamin D, the one that we all get from sunlight for FREE, improves our health conditions and reduces probabilities of many diseases to happen, including cancer, hypertension, osteoporosis, common colds, etc.
After you guys started to be more exposed to sunlight, have you improved your health?
Portuguese

I don't know I suspect each side will protect it's own $$$ interests. I can tell you since I started using sunscreen daily as my dermatologist recommended I have not had any of the crusty "pre-cancerous" patches appear on my face. Now, maybe the pre-cancers are preferrable to suffering from the diseases you mention, I don't have a clue.
I have seen a poster in a couple of dermatologist's offices, I suspect to warn parents, reading "By the time your child is 18 years old 80% of the sun exposure damage will have been done" I always think if I live to be 70 and the remaining 20% of the damage is spread over 52 years. Not too much I do now will make much difference.
The Queensland coast of Australia gets lots of sun and very concious of it. On visits the I have seen Health Dept. warnings to use a hat, long sleeves, and sun screen.
Maybe some of them will have opinions.
But then I think the beaches of Brazil, and others will not be much fun with all the girls wearing Burkah style swimwear instead of Tangas fio dental
Steve W

Last edited:
Guys

Just to put thinks in perspective…
The amount of sunlight needed to absorb 7000 IU of vitamin D is average 15 to 20 minutes for the arms and legs free of creams between 11 Am and 15AM. This is more than enough for any human being
Melanoma is the evil killing skin cancer that is far from being proved to be generated from sunlight. If a person never paid attention to sunlight effects nor any protection and never covered his neck, head face and hands and suddenly get a melanoma in the torso covered by a shirt 99% of the time, sorry but this was not the sun.
Life as we know it, is sustained in this planet by water and sunlight. I don’t see much business opportunities in selling sunlight to people. There’s just too much available for free!

I just read an interesting article about a study which claims that sunblock products give a false sense of security from sun damage (like sitting behind glass in the sun) and goes on to "prove" this by explaining that the recient explosion in melanoma cases, above the former baseline, is made up of indoor workers and non sun worshipers whereas outdoor workers and sun worshipers historically made up the preponderance of cases.
I have had parts of my left ear removed twice and most of my sun time was spent behind glass while driving for a living and always avoided the sun. My wife has had melanoma on her back but she was a sun worshiper and a "burner" as well.

Greetings,
Mr. P. So what's worse? A condition brought on by vitamin D deficiency (VDD) or melanomas? I have no doubt that there IS a VDD in some individuals as a result of sunscreen use. By the same token, improper diet causes deficiencies of certain necessary vitamins, minerals and trace elements which may take a LONG time to manifest discernible symptoms of said deficiency.
Then there's the age old question. Heredity or environment? Is one's family prone to osteoporosis, melanomas or heart disease for example? As I understand it vitamin D is necessary for calcium metabolism. I have a good friend who is post menopausal and was recommended to take vitamin D supplements with her calcium supplements because of a family history of osteoporosis.
We all know about mercury poisoning (Minamata disease) but current and ongoing research suggests mercury alone MAY not be as bad a contaminant as initially thought. Like many other sciences, nutrition can be thought to be in it's infancy and we can only go with what we know or think we know.
So the bottom line is: wear sunscreen, eat a balanced diet.
Seychelles Child Development Study - Research - Pediatrics - University of Rochester Medical Center

MR. RTF
It is always a pleasure to read your comments and having you participating in this thread is indeed a honor! I am really sorry that my writing skills in English are not a pair for yours. Yet I will try my best to be clear!
Let’s tackle this issue from different angles.
1.-First of all there’s absolutely no proven evidence that melanoma is caused by excess sunlight exposure. Otherwise, Brazil would be the champion as there is no other country in world where all kinds of people, spend so much time under the sunlight with very light or no protection. Actually the champion is Australia and New Zealand because the Ozone Layer over these countries is greatly reduced. Fishing men and farmers in Brazil, work day in day out under the sun and they do not die of melanoma or any other skin cancer. They look older than they are, yes they do!
You can also see in the websites mentioned below, that all other countries in the top 10 melanoma incidence, are countries where direct sunlight is rare.
2.- Although I made reference to this issue, my main question is this: Have you liveaboards, improved your previous health concerns after spending more time on your boats and in sunnier places? Do you have today, a better health condition than the one you had when you were stuck in grey, cold, humid environments where the sun was not frequently friendly shining
MR. RTF, all in excess in life is bad for the human being. Until few months back, I suffered from a disease that is in a nutshell, the opposite of anemia. I had too much iron in my body which was generated by the excess green vegetables and grains that I hate in the last 20 years. So, as you see, excess broccoli, watercress, spinach, bacon, beans, and etc., where very bad for me. This excess iron raised my blood viscosity to a point where for 7 years; the doctors thought I had hypertension. After draining two pints of blood in two consecutive months my blood pressure became normal without medication, and the bone/junction pains that I had day in day out, disappeared.
Reference reading: http://www.aimatmelanoma.org/en/aim-for-answers/about-melanoma-and-other-lesions/melanoma-statistics.html
http://www.acrf.com.au/2005/the-facts-on-skin-cancer-and-melanoma/
http://www.aneki.com/melanoma_cancer_countries.html

P.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. P. Thank you for the welcome and your English is VERY understandable. I am not a medical professional or even close to being one but let me first suggest that any improvement of a live aboard's health is probably due more to the lifestyle enjoyed aboard a boat than vitamin D absorption.
Touching on your comment about lack of connection between UV/IR exposure and melanomas and using your own country, Brazil, as an example suggests to me that one factor could be the gene pool of Brazil is not inclined towards the development of melanomas. Again, heredity or environment? Race and health - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personal NO! My improvement in health cardiac and flexibility was more activity, walking, bending, maintenance and enjoying live more. People say I look 10 to 15 young than I am as I have a health look, clear completion, flexibility, tone/strength and emotionally happier.

We both have been warned by our doctors about to much sun and each year have spots checked. I had 3 removed spots removed, and maybe a few more this year. I don’t think sun screen helps as much as a hat, and/or light clothing. I been using dark spot remover cream which lighten them up, and a light foundation which covers them up for years. I think the light foundation protect better than the clear sun screen. I think I just outed myself again. :flowers:

Portuguese;131183[SIZE=3 said:
][/SIZE]
1.-First of all there’s absolutely no proven evidence that melanoma is caused by excess sunlight exposure. Otherwise, Brazil would be the champion as there is no other country in world where all kinds of people, spend so much time under the sunlight with very light or no protection. Actually the champion is Australia and New Zealand because the Ozone Layer over these countries is greatly reduced. Fishing men and farmers in Brazil, work day in day out under the sun and they do not die of melanoma or any other skin cancer. They look older than they are, yes they do!
You can also see in the websites mentioned below, that all other countries in the top 10 melanoma incidence, are countries where direct sunlight is rare.
2.- Although I made reference to this issue, my main question is this: Have you liveaboards, improved your previous health concerns after spending more time on your boats and in sunnier places? Do you have today, a better health condition than the one you had when you were stuck in grey, cold, humid environments where the sun was not frequently friendly shining...
Some layman thoughts:
I understand the ozone layer defect over Australia/New Zealand was largely, and surprisingly, resolved by a change of aerosol spraycan propellants, and by restricting discharge of refrigerants into the atmosphere.
A principal cause of melanoma in A/NZ is pale skinned people, largely of European origin, living in high sun exposure. Residents of South America may be fortunate to have more protective skin pigmentation.
"Wellness" on a boat could relate in part to an absence of "SAD", ie seasonal affective disorder,aka cabin fever etc, because we are happier when active and boating and socializing and yes,catching some rays outdoors.
Finally, I heard a recent medico interview to the effect that in the last 2 years great advances have been made in treating melanoma, what was usually untreatable is now much more amenable to treatment. Of course, prevention is infinitely preferable to treatment.
But these are mere layman`s thoughts. The thread might benefit from medical input.

"=BruceK;The thread might benefit from medical input."

Peter?

I been using dark spot remover cream which lighten them up, and a light foundation which covers them up for years. I think the light foundation protect better than the clear sun screen. I think I just outed myself again. :flowers:

Caught that.:)

I like sunshine. I have moderate to severe psoriasis. All the drugs, shots and radiation treatments bounce off it. An afternoon laying in the sun kills it off. The longer I lay in the sun, the longer the psoriasis stays away. Every winter it's a race between the psoriasis and the beginning of the boating season. When I retire, I'm never going to wear anything but a bathing suit.

When I retire, I'm never going to wear anything but a bathing suit.

Well said!!.. quote of the day!

You might add flip flops for beer trips to the store

HOLLYWOOD

I like sunshine. I have moderate to severe psoriasis. All the drugs, shots and radiation treatments bounce off it. An afternoon laying in the sun kills it off. The longer I lay in the sun, the longer the psoriasis stays away. Every winter it's a race between the psoriasis and the beginning of the boating season. When I retire, I'm never going to wear anything but a bathing suit.

Can you use a tanning bed? I use to tan in the winter to keep a healthy glow, but doctor about 10 years ago said not more of that. :nonono: I installed tanning lights under upper bunk bed. :socool: In the winter our boat is so dry our skin is dry/flaking. Have you tried moisturizing and/or baby/tanning oil. We use a lot of baby/tanning oil.

I went to the sunless tanning lotion but it makes the dark spots darker :mad: Now I use a sun tan foundation/powder/bronzer and a concealer to cover hid the dark spots. Lemon juice is a home remedy that lightens spots.

Flip fops? :eek: I hope you get pedicures as most male’s feet are disgusting. I get pedicures every month so at least my feet are some what presentable, and a little polish does not hurt either. :thumb:

Can you use a tanning bed? I use to tan in the winter to keep a healthy glow, but doctor about 10 years ago said not more of that. :nonono: I installed tanning lights under upper bunk bed. :socool:
"Tanning beds" are seen as a kind of "melanoma incubator" here. And the Cancer Council adverts say "there is nothing healthy about a tan".

I can never book a tanning bed in New Jersey. They are all taken by Snookie and her friends.

I doubt it would help. I've had Gamma Ray treatments and they were a waste of time and money. It's kind of scary when everyone else in the room hides behind a lead shield during the treatments. I'm surprised my daughter only had one head.

Al
My wife suffered from psoriasis and a doctor put her onto vitamin B12 shots and it has all but cleared it up
The injections work much better than the tablets
She started off with two weekly injections
She now only has them on rare occasions

Allan

Being out on the water in a boat makes me feel good. Feeling good makes me healthy. It's that simple.

"=BruceK;The thread might benefit from medical input."
Peter?

Thanks Andy. Well, Bruce nailed it really Portuguese and others. The rather thin ozone layer down here certainly does contribute in a modest way, with higher UV resulting, (but yes, now improving since the avoidance of the organo-chlorines), but the main issue is indeed our largely Caucasian racial background, which does not bless us with as much melanin in our skin, and the tendency for our young to suffer many episodes of (usually accidental) sunburn when young, and it is that, coupled with the pale skin which leads to the high incidence of melanoma here.
However, yes.. we are also getting better at treating it early, with many skin clinics available now, and the constant message of preventing your kids from sunburn, and using adequate sun protection at all ages. As has already been said, we only need about 15 to 20 mins of sun a day to make enough vit D.

I've had Gamma Ray treatments...

Gamma Rays?!?!? They would make me VERY angry... And you wouldn't like me when I'm angry!

louferr.jpg

Al
My wife suffered from psoriasis and a doctor put her onto vitamin B12 shots and it has all but cleared it up
The injections work much better than the tablets
She started off with two weekly injections
She now only has them on rare occasions

Allan

B12? I'll give it a try. I've got at least 3 months before short pants season.

I think it has been covered but Brazilians have significantly more melanin than other caucasion populations.

Also some other people said that just the fact that you are living on the water contributes to your "general health".

I have had at least 10 Basal cell carcinomas and 5 squamous....and yes, 2 melanomas. One pretty serious. But no disease is present at this time. I told my doc that I have my own form of chemotherapy...RUM!!!...;)

I surfed all through my youth without sunscreen. I am pretty sure that is what caused all of the above. I still surf avidly and am on the boat when I am not surfing and flying when I am not doing all of that!!!

TERRA FIRMA IS THE ENEMY!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom