Old 07-26-2020, 11:41 AM   #41
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I'll stay with my original "gut" feeling. Your plans are not going to happen.

If you have any feelings that $3,000 is a lot of money you need to forget them immediately. $3,000 on a $20,000 forty foot boat will be an almost daily expense.

Here are a few things $3,000 will get you on your boat. (Pick one)
* One year dockage, maybe including storage if you find a really cheap marina
* A complete fuel fill and twin engine tune up
* Quality paint and caulk for a do it yourself job
* Repair of a few soft deck areas
* Radar
* A MFD
* Autopilot
* A lift and and mechanical and hull survey
* A years insurance
* A new battery bank and a couple switches

Here are a few things it will not even begin to cover:
* Engine problem
* Transmission problems
* Any genny problems
* Solar installation
* Spare set of props, shafts will be extra

All boats are relatively expensive, bigger boats are more expensive, cheap boats are more expensive yet.

Maybe I am just being extra critical because your original post was pretty arrogant. Your following posts were not much better. "Been working since you were 18" Indeed,you may be 25 now, thats a whole seven years.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE prove us all wrong We would love to hear from you in a year telling us how great the past year has been.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:41 PM   #42

City: Ohio
Vessel Name: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
I'll stay with my original "gut" feeling. Your plans are not going to happen.

If you have any feelings that $3,000 is a lot of money you need to forget them immediately. $3,000 on a $20,000 forty foot boat will be an almost daily expense.

Here are a few things $3,000 will get you on your boat. (Pick one)
* One year dockage, maybe including storage if you find a really cheap marina
* A complete fuel fill and twin engine tune up
* Quality paint and caulk for a do it yourself job
* Repair of a few soft deck areas
* Radar
* A MFD
* Autopilot
* A lift and and mechanical and hull survey
* A years insurance
* A new battery bank and a couple switches

Here are a few things it will not even begin to cover:
* Engine problem
* Transmission problems
* Any genny problems
* Solar installation
* Spare set of props, shafts will be extra

All boats are relatively expensive, bigger boats are more expensive, cheap boats are more expensive yet.

Maybe I am just being extra critical because your original post was pretty arrogant. Your following posts were not much better. "Been working since you were 18" Indeed,you may be 25 now, thats a whole seven years.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE prove us all wrong We would love to hear from you in a year telling us how great the past year has been.

pete
I really don't know why I'm getting shit on for saying 3000 for two nights of a charter seemed expensive. Do you guys just throw your money around and not care what it goes to or if you can find a better deal else where. Makes no sense to me. Not to mention I was asking if it was normal. I'm not sure if a few of you have a problem that we are young and have been some what successful so far, sorry your 20s were different mine aren't so step back this is getting a little old. Not to mention none of that arrogance would have come out if I wasn't asked what I did to deserve a life style change, that's some bs I'd never ask anyone that but no one wants to criticize that person. This is crazy I really hope others have had a better experience then this, simply coming here to learn and ask questions to people I would assume know a lot more then me.

I said I would like a 40 ft boat, is that going to happen probably not, i said 20k is a starting point... why not start with the bottom of your budget.. if you start at the top of your budget for everything then I hope you have a ridiculous amount of money or your to ignorant to shop around for a deal.

The safety equipment I listed was over 3I right there did I say I had a problem with that... no

It blows my mind people give someone else a hard time for saying 3k seemed expensive for 2 days on a boat.

I'm really trying to be respectful and not burn any bridges but it's a two way street, if you expect me to roll over because you have more experience/ older then me than your sadly mistaken my friend.

Funny half the stuff you listed on your list I found for under 3k, I get it boats are expensive to buy, expensive to maintain and expensive to learn about.

I've apologized multiple times, it's not gonna happen anymore if the mods have an issue with this then delete the thread... the welcoming here has been great. Those of you who have helped out and brought items up that I've clearly over looked, thank you very much!
Psquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:43 PM   #43
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psquared View Post
I really don't know why I'm getting shit on for saying 3000 for two nights of a charter seemed expensive. Do you guys just throw your money around and not care what it goes to or if you can find a better deal else where. Makes no sense to me. Not to mention I was asking if it was normal. I'm not sure if a few of you have a problem that we are young and have been some what successful so far, sorry your 20s were different mine aren't so step back this is getting a little old. Not to mention none of that arrogance would have come out if I wasn't asked what I did to deserve a life style change, that's some bs I'd never ask anyone that but no one wants to criticize that person. This is crazy I really hope others have had a better experience then this, simply coming here to learn and ask questions to people I would assume know a lot more then me.

I said I would like a 40 ft boat, is that going to happen probably not, i said 20k is a starting point... why not start with the bottom of your budget.. if you start at the top of your budget for everything then I hope you have a ridiculous amount of money or your to ignorant to shop around for a deal.

The safety equipment I listed was over 3I right there did I say I had a problem with that... no

It blows my mind people give someone else a hard time for saying 3k seemed expensive for 2 days on a boat.

I'm really trying to be respectful and not burn any bridges but it's a two way street, if you expect me to roll over because you have more experience/ older then me than your sadly mistaken my friend.

Funny half the stuff you listed on your list I found for under 3k, I get it boats are expensive to buy, expensive to maintain and expensive to learn about.

I've apologized multiple times, it's not gonna happen anymore if the mods have an issue with this then delete the thread... the welcoming here has been great. Those of you who have helped out and brought items up that I've clearly over looked, thank you very much!
You get what you get because you're an arrogant, immature ^#%&.

You come on a forum asking for opinions and when you don't like them you curse those who offer them. You state information and then you disclaim it. And no, you're not trying to be respectful. Perhaps you don't know how. You wouldn't have to keep apologizing if you behaved. You clearly have this forum confused with the bar and us confused with your teenage friends.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:53 PM   #44

Thanks, if what I just said is arrogance then your views are skewed, I've damn near apologized on every signal post and keep getting crap if you expect to be rude to others and then not have them stand up and defend themselves your crazy... I'm apart of about 10 forums and never in my life have I been shit on so much like here and I talk the same exact way and interact with people who are or normally much older so idk if it's the "trawler" community or what but this is crazy... you constantly hear about how boat people are so welcoming and its small family and so on ... what happened to that? Do I need to bow down to the trawler gods before posting..geez
Old 07-26-2020, 10:15 PM   #45
Guru

Quote:
Thanks, if what I just said is arrogance then your views are skewed, I've damn near apologized on every signal post and keep getting crap if you expect to be rude to others and then not have them stand up and defend themselves your crazy... I'm apart of about 10 forums and never in my life have I been shit on so much like here and I talk the same exact way and interact with people who are or normally much older so idk if it's the "trawler" community or what but this is crazy... you constantly hear about how boat people are so welcoming and its small family and so on ... what happened to that? Do I need to bow down to the trawler gods before posting..geez
Wifey B: You're incapable of posting without profanity. No idea what kind of forums you post on that accept and welcome the kind of behavior you exhibit. Yes, guess my views are skewed because I think you were arrogant, bragging about things that not only was I not impressed by but offended by. I gave you a second chance but you didn't listen. You came in and showed your ignorance about boating, but then when that was pointed out, you retaliated. Good luck trying to cheat people and get something for nothing.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:27 PM   #46
Guru

City: Los Angeles
Quote:
Anyway, for a slightly different viewpoint:

When I was 26 I bought a boat for about $20k and moved aboard.
It was a sailboat and I was single but those are just details (and I was seldom alone).

A year and 7 months later I sailed that boat from L.A. to Hawaii. The time of my life!
I only mention all this because I am grateful for the encouragement I got at the time.

Do not hesitate to go ahead with whatever your plan is.
I have never regretted a single minute of it. I hope someday you can say the same.
KnotYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:26 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: You're incapable of posting without profanity. No idea what kind of forums you post on that accept and welcome the kind of behavior you exhibit. Yes, guess my views are skewed because I think you were arrogant, bragging about things that not only was I not impressed by but offended by. I gave you a second chance but you didn't listen. You came in and showed your ignorance about boating, but then when that was pointed out, you retaliated. Good luck trying to cheat people and get something for nothing.
Your a hypocrite look at your husband's last post, when I bleep out words you get upset but they get a pass... this is my whole point. You guys get to come in and be rude an arrogant but when I stick up for my self your shocked. I've said the word shit/hell and damn.. c'mon now seriously.

If your still upset about me talking about low balling people then that's on you, it's a buyer's market if you don't want deals then I've got a ton of stuff I'd love to sell you.

I've said since my first post I don't know it all, idk how many more times you guys need to hear this. Do I need to make it my signature? It's hard to call someone arrogant who's apologized a ton and admitted they don't know it all(multiple times) and have said they are clearly looking over items(multiple times).

Your argument is weak, you don't like me cause the way I've said a few things... who's the younger one in this situation again?
Old 07-27-2020, 10:13 AM   #48
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I couldn't even imagine what a $20K Trawler will cost to get it in suitable order as a live-aboard on anchor or a mooring.

The cheapest boat to buy is never the cheapest boat to own.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:24 AM   #49
Guru

Quote:

Your argument is weak, you don't like me cause the way I've said a few things... who's the younger one in this situation again?
Wifey B: I am....I'm 21. Or are you younger than me still?
Old 07-27-2020, 11:31 AM   #50
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
The Carver 3607 is a comfortable yacht that can be found in your price range. BUT, they are all gas engine powered. Going back and forth FL/MI will cost big $$$ in fuel. With gas they are 0.5-0.8 mpg boats. One way will be ~$3000 just for fuel. Now it was just going to be a marina queen, then lots of boat for the money.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:52 AM   #51
Guru

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Second Chance
Vessel Model: 42' Uniflite Double Cabin
Psquared look up 'Tulas Endless Summer' on youtube. A young couple that did exactly what you are talking about, bought a cheap trawler and lived on it while fixing it up, go to the older episodes before they bought their inexpensive catamaran and they had a 36' or so trawler that they bought pretty cheap.

They have episodes of their time in the boat yard, time working on the boat on the hook, etc. and tons of good information on the reality of living on a boat you are also fixing up.
sbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:42 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbman View Post
Psquared look up 'Tulas Endless Summer' on youtube. A young couple that did exactly what you are talking about, bought a cheap trawler and lived on it while fixing it up, go to the older episodes before they bought their inexpensive catamaran and they had a 36' or so trawler that they bought pretty cheap.

They have episodes of their time in the boat yard, time working on the boat on the hook, etc. and tons of good information on the reality of living on a boat you are also fixing up.

We've been watching them for about the past year or so, tons of great info and it seems to be a little more realistic type of life supposed to some of the other ones out there on youtube.

They don't have a/c and idk how they get to sleep at night, i sweat my *** off so a/c is a must lol.

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2020, 02:53 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
The Carver 3607 is a comfortable yacht that can be found in your price range. BUT, they are all gas engine powered. Going back and forth FL/MI will cost big $$$ in fuel. With gas they are 0.5-0.8 mpg boats. One way will be ~$3000 just for fuel. Now it was just going to be a marina queen, then lots of boat for the money.

yeah seems like the 3607 can be had from the mid teens up to the mid 30s'40's I've been trying to do more and more research on them and it seems like it was offered as a "budget" yacht that has had it fair share of problems from issue with the appliances to some of the motor mounting. Once we go down to florida it wont be coming back, we plan on moving down to the cape coral/ ft myers area and once we leave these grey skies there is no coming back! lol

Thanks
Old 07-27-2020, 03:01 PM   #54
Guru

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Second Chance
Vessel Model: 42' Uniflite Double Cabin
Quote:
We've been watching them for about the past year or so, tons of great info and it seems to be a little more realistic type of life supposed to some of the other ones out there on youtube.

They don't have a/c and idk how they get to sleep at night, i sweat my *** off so a/c is a must lol.

Thanks!
They do post some of the work/strife portion of things as well which is refreshing, a lot of the channels are only showing the good stuff with none of the challenges.
sbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:05 PM   #55
Veteran Member

City: Baltimore, Maryland
Vessel Name: Star Chaser
Vessel Model: 1982 Carver 3607
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Highwire,

I have a '82 Carver 3607 with the original International 9.0L Diesel engines. They weren't all Gassers.

Star Chaser burns ~ 3-4Gal/Hr @ 10knts (2200RPM) spinning a pair of 22x22 Props.

Star
StarChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:19 PM   #56

City: Eastcoast
Vessel Model: American Tug 41
Psquared,
Here's another thought i don't think has been mentioned here, have you heard of America's Great Loop? I mention it because you said something about maybe getting the boat up on Lake Erie, then bringing it down to Florida.
If you haven't heard of the Great Loop; it is mostly retired people but lately more and more younger people have been joining up and beginning the adventure.
If you actually cruise your boat from Cleveland to Florida, you've practically done half the loop.
Anyway check out their website and how the loop circles much of the eastern half of the country, it's a pretty cool trip.
Keep in mind your vessel has to be in pretty good shape to undertake the journey, but its also kind of a cool way to really get to know your boat
sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:34 PM   #57

City: Fort Pierce, FL
Vessel Name: Dot Calm
We are on the other side of life cycle and are selling our 36 foot Monk Trawler and upgrading to a 45 foot live aboard.
I recently retired and this will be my 7th boat.

I’d recommend a trawler of at least 36 feet. Low fuel costs, room to live- a large bedroom/stateroom, a forward stateroom and two heads and galley, plus a dinghy.

I would not live in a smaller boat. Trawlers are easy to handle and roomy but you’re going to have to spend at least $150k to purchase one in good mechanical shape.

Let me know if we can help. I don’t advise going cheap or you will be paying out the butt for repairs.

My two cents as we live on the east coast of Florida.
When bad storms come we get hauled out. Most insurance pays 50% of the cost. Then you grab a hotel room or drive north.
Rick
Monk36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:03 PM   #58

City: Fort Pierce, FL
Vessel Name: Dot Calm
Actually, live aboard boats are selling during COVID-19 as people want to be able to safely get out of the house

Don’t go too cheap or you will regret the repair costs and time.

You can usually resell a good stable
Monk36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:45 PM   #59
Guru

City: Fleming Island, Fl
Vessel Name: Sakura Perdido
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Starting the journey

Quote:
I think I've said this multiple times I don't know everything and have a lot to learn.. kinda the whole reason I am asking questions and stated that multiple times, If I knew it all I wouldn't be on here.

any suggestions?

Thanks,
Being in your 20s, still working (no matter how much or little), owning a 40 lb dog and electing to live on a mooring is a terrible idea. No shore power, required pump outs, bad weather when you "absolutely must get ashore" and more. If you want to live aboard and you are not cruising, you need to be in a slip, IMO.
While there are exceptions, with boats you most often get what you pay for. There are fair deals and acceptable deals. There are really few "Great Deals"!
You do not want to live on a $20k trawler. If you can find one, there's a reason it's $20k and it's not your negotiating skills.
At your age and level of boating experience, buying a cheap boat and attempting to live on it while moored, with a dog and still having responsibilities ashore is a very bad decision. Buy a small boat that you can spend time on and start weekending then move to vacationing for longer periods of time and see what you think. The chances that the first boat you buy will meet your likes and needs are very slim. Gain some experience and knowledge before taking the plunge you are attempting.
You asked for advice; that's mine.
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:56 PM   #60

City: Drummond Island, MI
Vessel Name: Terrapin
Vessel Model: Florida Bay Coaster 42'
I live in Fort Myers but leave June through November because of heat and humidity. Years ago I had a 34’ Mainship with two a/c units and neither my wife nor I could stand the weather, not much can be accomplished after 11:00 am without heat stroke, and that size boat gets very cramped day after day.

Marinas discount heavily in summer months to the extent that a long term dock is cheaper or close to it than daily rates after a week or two. Legacy Harbor for instance, has a small pool, and an air conditioned lounge for additional space, even working space for someone needing internet, but this is still maybe $800 a month.

They probably will not welcome any unsightly project boats however. There are a couple marinas east of there on the Caloosahatchee River, Glades, and Indiantown, who will let you work on your vessel for a compendium of fees.

Personally I do not recommend an anchorage due to the heat and inconvenience of dinghy travel to shore for every need, including claustrophobia.
timb7734 is offline   Reply With Quote