Stand up engine room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Come to think of it, most we looked at were an order of magnitude over our budget....sigh.

Yea, but hey we figured if we play it right the first check we bounce will be to the funeral home :) So we closed our eyes and bought it anyway!

The Nordhavn 47' was one of our favorites also. We saw the 55' prior to the 47' but wasn't too impressed with the 55'. For the life of, I can't remember why.

Our other favorites were a Defever 50', the Krogen Express 52', Grand Banks Europa 42' and the Fountaine Pajot powercats.

We were only there for one day and decided to skip some the whales that were too big and order of magnitude over our budget. Come to think of it, most we looked at were an order of magnitude over our budget....sigh.

We weren't impressed with the 55 either. First of al the bow area that was painted green looked like a stick on piece of vinyl. The hull and superstructure were different shades of white that really stood out, the wood interior looked like high grade Home Depot plywood. Never even saw the engine room. Also had no walk around side decks which made spring lines go Fromm the bridge which is an an awkward place.

Also anyone that's in our area and wants to see ours, your welcome. I'm always pittling with something on the boat.

Last edited:
Nordhavn 62, from anchor tip to bustle it's 69', and still no stand-up engine room :facepalm: But we do OK. I guess it helps that both my wife and I are vertically challenged. I'm 5'8" and Jay is 5' 1". I haven't actually measured the height, so I'm gussing it's maybe a few inches under 5'

Although no where near the stand-up comfort of most newer Nordhavns, I actually like it. It's clean, bright & airy, and I sit to do most tasks. The only task where we've had to stoop-over was for the Valve Clearance adjustments prior to leaving for Hawaii. (photo 1) The other 2 photos show the space either side of the main engine.

The only way I'd ever get the space I dream about, would be to embark on a custom newbuild, which would likely have zero resale value.

But lets save that for another thread :whistling:

Hey I have a suggestion...get rid of those lights and gain head room.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1422844906.750189.jpg

I am planning to take all the diesel engine and maintenance courses at the next Trawlerfest. I told him we will have redundancy in all other systems, why not with the person maintaining the engines? My husband thinks its a great idea. I will have a big learning curve but I am willing.:)

I am planning to take all the diesel engine and maintenance courses at the next Trawlerfest. I told him we will have redundancy in all other systems, why not with the person maintaining the engines? My husband thinks its a great idea. I will have a big learning curve but I am willing.:)

Excellent idea!

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom