Soon to be a liveaboard - advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Piers. Well, 1476 is pretty impressive too!

It is one of the places that I would like to visit again, but who knows when long distance international travel will be 'normal enough' to do it.

Piers - Now your Fleming is sold and you’ve fully returned to the land? In Guernsey? (And why there to begin with? Cruising proximity, community, weather, taxes, or …?)

You had a great adventure. Any regrets or things you would go differently?

All the best!!

Piers - Now your Fleming is sold and you’ve fully returned to the land? In Guernsey? (And why there to begin with? Cruising proximity, community, weather, taxes, or …?)

You had a great adventure. Any regrets or things you would go differently?

All the best!!

Hi Bowball,

Now those are excellent questions, especially for anyone thinking of 'going off grid' (to coin a modern phrase) as we did.

'Returned to the land?'
Yes. it's described as an 1980 Victorian Villa which previous owners have extended over the years, small bit by small bit, but not really in keeping with its overall size. So, we've embarked on a major 2 year project of bringing it together and 'up to spec'. The really great point is that the last owner used a landscape architect to design the gardens which are simply gorgeous.

In Guernsey?
Yes. For years before we became liveaboards, whenever we cruised to Guernsey we used to comment it was like 'coming home'. Maybe something to do with my ancestors having lived in the islands (Jersey in particular); maybe because its such a small island (population 65,000), so safe, self-governing, a crown protectorate directly owned by the Queen (through the title Duke of Normandy).

Cruising proximity, community, weather, taxes, or …?
With France and the other channel islands so close, our favourite cruising areas are on our doorstep. Big plus.

The weather is consistently better than the UK's even though we're only 100 miles south across the English Channel. I suspect it's becasue we're the first stop of the Gulf Stream as it winds its way NE. Freezing temperatures are virtually never experienced, seasons are a month of two ahead of the UK, and much in the garden would not survive in the UK.

With only 65,000 on the island, people are polite, friendly and helpful. A small community spirit. Delightful. Makes the comment that you go back in time when on the island - to 1950...

Taxes are very different from the UK. The only direct tax is income tax (20% - and there's no VAT/GST), but living on the island is costly. Everything has to be imported and the cost of running the island is high per capita. Hence, the cost of living is high. Overall, though, you really don't mind paying the premium for living here.

Old and New Thread but great advice all the way through

This thread being so long contains invaluable advice for someone who is trying to figure out the timing, financing, and logistics of a boat and/or land home.

Lot's of things to think about. Great advice for future planning!

We will not use our primary home to finance a boat so hope to keep it. Ideally if I could get one of my sons to live in it and keep the utilities going I would do that - after a front end purge for sure! Who knows.

Thanks for one who is thinking about these points with a time frame a ways out that I wish I could accelerate. Till then learning with our Sea Ray.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom