Sometimes Liveaboard life is not so easy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would encourage you think about the multiple boat solution. It is not so expensive if you keep the boats modest. I use a Willard 30 in SE Alaska June-August, A Willard 40 January-April in Sea ofCortez, and a 34ft sailboat on SF Bay in the other times. I do 90% of the maintenance myself. But use only one boat at a time. Total annual cost is probably less than a single newer larger trawler.

Hey Kevin,

When you head south, make sure your AC is in great shape before you cross the border….Summers are brutal in the Sea of Cortez. But, I miss the shorts and flip flops. Started wearing shoes and socks again….boy does that feel weird!

I spent the last two weeks in October, in the Gulf of California, 40 miles north of La Paz - diving in 86 degree!!! waters, air temps low 70s-low 80s. Checked out a few marinas, Puerto Escondido completely caught my attention. I'll retire in two years - I'm thinking April-September in PNW (I'm in John Wayne Marina), October cruise to the gulf, November - March...cruise back up in April...assuming heart & mind remain strong!

heard the same story about an ice scraper hanging from the rigging...
Hahaha! I think after reading this I will hang a snow brush, the ones with a scraper on the other end somewhere visible on my boat. Thank you for the decoration tip!

That clear heat shrinkable window film makes a huge difference. The stuff I got this year, from Lowe's, came with double sided tape that actually sticks and holds. After a big insulating project last year my little interior stays comfortable well below freezing with just 20 Amp shore power.

That clear heat shrinkable window film makes a huge difference. The stuff I got this year, from Lowe's, came with double sided tape that actually sticks and holds. After a big insulating project last year my little interior stays comfortable well below freezing with just 20 Amp shore power.

The window film only works well as insulation if there is an air gap between the film and the existing window (i.e. double pane windows). Sticking plastic film on the glass is not going to do much.

https://www.conveniencegroup.com/residential-energy-efficiency

Window film to keep warmth inside during colder months and to keep the sun’s heat at bay in the summer Windows and doors account for approximately 18 to 20% of the heat loss from your home during winter. 3M Window Film is an investment to save energy and therefore to reduce your energy costs. It does this by providing an invisible thermal shield that prevents the heat from your home from escaping through your windows.
When the weather turns hot in summer, window film can block as much as 66% of the sun's heat, allowing you to run your air conditioning system less frequently. Energy-saving window film can lower your overall costs by up to 40%.

https://www.conveniencegroup.com/residential-energy-efficiency

Window film to keep warmth inside during colder months and to keep the sun’s heat at bay in the summer Windows and doors account for approximately 18 to 20% of the heat loss from your home during winter. 3M Window Film is an investment to save energy and therefore to reduce your energy costs. It does this by providing an invisible thermal shield that prevents the heat from your home from escaping through your windows.
When the weather turns hot in summer, window film can block as much as 66% of the sun's heat, allowing you to run your air conditioning system less frequently. Energy-saving window film can lower your overall costs by up to 40%.

completely agree. i have solar film on all my windows. the kind that can roll up and down like blinds.
it's like turning the ac on. as soon as i roll them down the temps drop.
on my old boat i did the kind that you squeegee on like the car guys do. huge difference.

completely agree. i have solar film on all my windows. the kind that can roll up and down like blinds.

it's like turning the ac on. as soon as i roll them down the temps drop.

on my old boat i did the kind that you squeegee on like the car guys do. huge difference.

What brand roller shades do you have ? Do they bang around when underway?

I grew up in Anchorpoint on the Kenai Penn. I crabbed in bristol Bay I remember the cold and the ice and omg I feel for ya. . Be safe and don't start a fire to keep warm boats don't like fire much...?

???? so true I now live in texas was born and raised in that darn cold...but that's a good one I havnt heard

Back
Top Bottom