Skinney Water - Florida Keys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marinetrader

I just got back into town after helping my customers take their 48 Hatteras LRC from Ft. Myers to Ft. Lauderdale.

I found that*from Channel 5 to Key Largo was all but absent of marinas with waters deep enough to float the Hatteras's 4.6 deep keel.* There was but one marina, Smuggler's Cove that had enough water and that was at high tide.

The locals told me the huricanes a few years back deposited a lot of sand in the channels.* The primary navigational channels were ok however.

I'm sitting in Key Largo now at a shi++y marina named Key Largo Harbor Marina. The Keys are known for skinney water and high rates for crappy accomodatations. We called several places and most did not have the water except at high tide. Key Largo is over rated as a stop. Channel 7 thourgh Marathon is better and even more pricy. No offense to anyone from the Natural State but Marathon is also know as Arkansas Key.

For non M>M folks Marathon is a great spot.

Mooring fees are small, there is a dink dock and stores of any type are within a reasonable distance. Also a good waterside bar with a good happy hour.

The cruising sailboats can handle months on the hook with ease .

Could that be a HINT?

FF

We love Marathon. On a ball there now. Price up to $21.50 per day, inclusive. Great dinghy dock, several water front bars, a dink dock for West Marine. Drink at Burdines for the view, Eat and drink at the Castaways for very reasonable and good food and drink. You can get there by dink.

Back
Top Bottom