Similar to a Defever 49 RPH but smaller?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have owned 23 boats and we have never complained that the boat was too big. Always wish it was a bit bigger... The cost between a 44 and a 49 will be negligible. But the cost in buying a too small boat will be huge and ongoing. Go with what you like.

Yep I learned that lesson first hand.

When I was overseas in the Persian Gulf I decided to have a boat built. But trying to save money, I built smaller and cheaper. My family and I had some wonderful life memories, especially with the kids growing up at that time, but the truth is that the boat never fulfilled my needs/wants and was always a bit disappointing for that reason.

So I disagree with that old sailor's adage "buy the smallest boat that does the job" - that may save money but often leads to disappointment.

Micheleangelina I went back and re-read your first thread. You all have a lot of experience with your 32' but let me offer my opinion based on having owned cruising boats from small to 65':
  • Jumping from 32' to 40+' may seem overwhelming and intimidating at first, but you two would settle into a comfort zone easily, especially with some training from the previous owner or a captain
  • I've found that the ideal size for extended cruising or liveaboard is about 50'
  • I've heard many comments from couples on 40-42' boats about wishing they could have afforded something large (48-49')
  • If you two are planning extended cruising later on, especially in open ocean like Carib crossings, then bigger is better
  • Likewise, heavier is better as well. You can't beat the laws of physics and nature - mass is your friend when it comes to comfortable motion and lower accelerations
  • Try to stay away from the sole-buried engine spaces. You don't need full standing height, but a solid 5' headroom is very nice especially as you get older
  • Singles are better than doubles :)

here is a video of a sistership
I think it is worth watching

A friend had a newer (late 90's) smaller Defever with a single. I think it was a 44" or 45'. I may be incorrect with all the different ways boat lengths are marketed

He tied alongside our 40' Bluewater PH and the Defever was only 2 or so feet longer. It was a real nice boat and looked like the Defever 49 PH, but shorter.

He sold it in 2008.

There is a 45' PH on Yachtworld.

Full disclosure: we are the owner of ESCAPE, mentioned by Menzies above. She is cruise-ready, needing only new cruiser owners, fuel and food aboard.

We have owned her for 8 years, 5k nautical miles to Bahamas 3 times and Chesapeake Bay twice. Averaged 1.72nmpg at 7.5 knots. We looked for a year, and other than a Hatteras 48 LRC, could find nothing under 50' with the storage volume and cruising comfort features. She is a heavy vessel (+64,000# loaded for cruising) and it shows when the weather turns snotty. Art DeFever designed bluewater boats!

The only time we thought she was too big was when we hand polished the hull (once was enough).

So why sell? Too much family and company (a good thing) when in Bahamas. Moving up to a larger Hatteras.

John McCarley

Back in the day (early 1990's), my parents upgraded from a 31' Uniflite to a 43' Viking DC and lived-aboard/cruised the East Coast with the seasons for a few years. I learned how to pilot/navigate the Uniflite back in the use the compass and paper chart days and had full access when my parents weren't using it. I loved that boat. I wish they still made the Viking DC - it was one hell of a layout and a great vessel. I spent a lot of vacation time on the Viking, meeting up with my parents on the ICW when I could.

Still dreaming my boating days will return soon - Nordic Tug 37 or 40 for me.

My wife and I just bought a 1981 Sea Ranger 45 RPH. Our access to the flybridge is an aft ladder, however some versions were built with interior stairs from lower to upper bridges. It has most of the qualities you are looking for.

I've just completed an 1,100 mile delivery from Knoxville, TN to Apalachicola, FL where we live. This is a very good boat in my opinion, simple with a single Volvo, great visibility, easy to handle, comfortable in nasty 4' Bay chop. They are hard to find but worth a look.

"Looks like it has the Volvo engines." They can be good engines, but you'll go ghost white when they quote parts.....

I am in MA and had that open in my browser. Pics make it look nice, but wow....$100K less than ask? Wonder if the owner has come to grips with what that amount of damage ultimately does to selling price?

Greetings,
Mr. M. Welcome aboard. A Defever 49 PH is indeed a nice vessel BUT despite it's overall size, it's not terribly well laid out IMO. Small saloon, only 2 staterooms and more of a crawl in ER rather than a walk in.

Agreed! A very cut up boat.

Consider depth as a spec, too.
In FL and the South East corner of the USA, having a shallow draft boat is a pleasure. Your Uniflite is a little under 3' draft. The Defever 49 is 5.5'. That's a big difference.

I came close to buying a 48' Krogen Whaleback boat with 5' draft. A nice guy in Illinois said he was selling his because he wanted a shallower depth to do the loop and FL - it got me thinking. I went on a demo cruise on another Whaleback in Stuart, FL, and the salesman ran (softly) aground. He was very experienced, but just drifted out of the channel a little. I drift out of the channel a little, a lot!

Different regions have different conditions; in the NW, depth is not a problem. I love knowing I can come into an anchorage anytime and drop my hook in the open skinny water between the sail boats and the shore...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom