Sea dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donny Bahama

Veteran Member
For those who liveaboard with dogs, are they pretty happy? What about when you’re out to sea? How do they manage to get enough exercise? What advice and tips do you have for others? Safety tips as well as other/general advice, please.

Louis and Lola say, “Thanks!”

I haven't lived aboard with a dog, but I've boated with dogs for most of my life. It really depends on the dog. Some are perfectly happy on the boat and fine with having periods of not being able to go walk around much. Others need more space and activity to be happy.

I just met a cat who did the Great Loop with his owners. He was barely a kitten when he moved aboard the boat. Now 18 months later I have never seen such a well adjusted animal, friendly, not afraid of the water, goes onto other boats, walks down the dock alone, etc.

Are dogs any different than cats? I don't know

pete

There are many, many dogs out on the water in marina's, anchorages and mooring fields. Having had dogs, I fully understand that they are a member of the family. I would urge everyone to consider how much their beloved family member barks. This can be a sign of stress or anxiety. Many bark endlessly when the kids are in the water.

If you're dog barks non-stop they are probably not happy. OR, if they are just very vocal, consider that you're need to have a dog is becoming a burden to the rest of us.

I would never have an animal confined to a boat with me, but that is just me. I have very fond memories of daily playing with a well adjusted Dutch barge dog (Schipperke) on a friend's trawler when I lived aboard my petless trawler, but when it came time to consider my granddaughter's spoiled year old golden retriever coming aboard my Pilot with its screaming turbo-equipped Yanmar under our feet for even just an hour run in the bay, I nixed the idea as cruel to the animal.

We are heading to the boat today and our boxer is raring to go. He does not like rough water but would rather be with us than left at home. Surprisingly, he is content in the dingy even though it rocks more than the boat.
He prefers to take bathroom breaks on shore.

There are many, many dogs out on the water in marina's, anchorages and mooring fields. Having had dogs, I fully understand that they are a member of the family. I would urge everyone to consider how much their beloved family member barks. This can be a sign of stress or anxiety. Many bark endlessly when the kids are in the water.

If you're dog barks non-stop they are probably not happy. OR, if they are just very vocal, consider that you're need to have a dog is becoming a burden to the rest of us.
People who have dogs that bark too much are people who shouldn’t have dogs. Our dogs are both service animals and very well-trained. We take our responsibility to have well-behaved dogs very seriously.

Growing up, we had a golden that was great on the boat. She'd get a little nervous running up on plane sometimes, but other than that, pretty much a perfect boat dog.

Our current standard poodle isn't quite as perfect in some ways (mostly not as calm), but he doesn't mind being under way at all, at any speed, even if it's a little rough out. He does wear sneakers to keep him from sliding, which seems to help his comfort level a lot (he can balance better when he doesn't slip on the decks). He just likes watching the scenery go by. And he thinks jetskis are the coolest thing ever to watch. And being on the boat and balancing burns enough energy that he's usually fairly tired at the end of the day and doesn't seem interested in doing anything high energy like he would at the house in the evening. We've yet to take him on any long trips on the boat though.

People who have dogs that bark too much are people who shouldn’t have dogs. Our dogs are both service animals and very well-trained. We take our responsibility to have well-behaved dogs very seriously.

Agreed. But that doesn't stop people from doing what they want. I love animals but I don't tolerate untrained dogs who aren't well behaved. It's really the owner that I don't tolerate.

Donny,
What type of service animals do you have, and for what services?

The longest we have been aboard with our black lab, Radar, was 45 days. He absolutely loved the trip and the boat. He would want to get off as soon as we had 2 lines on the dock. He would find the first green sprig of anything and drown it very quickly. When he was done with his business I would tell him to go to the boat. Keep in mind we were in a new marina almost every night. He would take off and lead me unerringly to the boat the first time. Amazing how he knew where the boat was. He really liked going through the up locks on the TSW in Canada. The lock masters would give him treats as we surfaced above the locks. It got to when the boat would start to lift in the lock, he would start drooling. We would try to walk him as much as possible. Overall he seems to love the boat and loves to be close to us so it works out well.

Donny,
What type of service animals do you have, and for what services?

While individuals differ in how they feel about it and may readily answer, from what I’ve read and discussed with some owners of service animals, it is generally considered rude and an invasion of privacy to ask strangers what their animal does. Most people wouldn’t like it if a stranger walked up to them and asked to see their medical history.

I have a Lab and always had Labs. For exercise, she swims when we're anchored. I have a ramp attached to the swim platform that allows her to get out of the water on her own. I'm usually anchored in very rural or wild places. My dog will swim to the shore on her own to take care of business. Sometimes I throw a ball, her favorite activity. And sometimes we hike depending on the tide, terrain and bears. She has figured out to leave the bears alone.
We liveaboard and the boat is my dog's life. She probably prefers the land, but seems happy on the boat.
At sea I keep her in the cabin unless she's got to go. Then I keep an eye on her. The bottom two rails have netting or canvas, so it would be hard for her to fall overboard.

For those who liveaboard with dogs, are they pretty happy? What about when you’re out to sea? How do they manage to get enough exercise? What advice and tips do you have for others? Safety tips as well as other/general advice, please.

Louis and Lola say, “Thanks!”

Have a read of Sian's post on Grace's final cruise.

Cruising with An Elderly Dog | AtAnchor.com

And on trying to get her to go on the boat!

http://atanchor.com/the-worlds-best-dog-who-is-entirely-resistant-to-boat-training/

Last edited:
While individuals differ in how they feel about it and may readily answer, from what I’ve read and discussed with some owners of service animals, it is generally considered rude and an invasion of privacy to ask strangers what their animal does. Most people wouldn’t like it if a stranger walked up to them and asked to see their medical history.

It is worth mentioning that there is a difference between a "Service Dog" and a "Emotional Support Dog"/"Therapy Dog". Unfortunately, in the last few years many people have been getting "ESA" certifications then attempting to pass there ESA dog as a "Service Dog". They ARE NOT the same thing.

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) prohibits a business from asking about your disability, or to request certification, identification, or other proof of your animal’s training or status. If it is not apparent what your service animal does, the establishment may ask you only whether it is a service animal, and what tasks it performs for you.

ESA dogs are not legally granted the same privileges as Service Dogs. They are often granted the same privileges as a result of misunderstanding the difference.

It is worth mentioning that there is a difference between a "Service Dog" and a "Emotional Support Dog"/"Therapy Dog". Unfortunately, in the last few years many people have been getting "ESA" certifications then attempting to pass there ESA dog as a "Service Dog". They ARE NOT the same thing.

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) prohibits a business from asking about your disability, or to request certification, identification, or other proof of your animal’s training or status. If it is not apparent what your service animal does, the establishment may ask you only whether it is a service animal, and what tasks it performs for you.

ESA dogs are not legally granted the same privileges as Service Dogs. They are often granted the same privileges as a result of misunderstanding the difference.
Fly on a plane lately? Everyone has a "service dog."

Here is Radar, the black lab, asleep while we were cruising on our boat last year.

Attachments

• 573E42A7-4E83-4345-BB43-F4087861E538.jpg
    573E42A7-4E83-4345-BB43-F4087861E538.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 28
For those that read the reply I just deleted, I felt it was too much.
My apologies go out to anyone who felt I was being rude to Donnie.
Donnie, If you read it, I’d appreciate a pm to let me know how ‘you’ felt, regardless of how. If not, that’s ok too.

Last edited:
These are the two things my dog does best.
Sleep and sleep. 20200906_140352.jpeg20200916_165011.jpeg

My Yorksie loves all three boats (Trawler, go-fast, and dingy) has never shown the slightest sign of worry no matter what the conditions, as well as being happy to go on other people’s boats.

Lots of dog/boat pictures on her Facebook page https://Facebook.com/Yorksie.robbins5

Dogs are misbehaved because of their owners.... just sayin

Hej! Dogs. Dogs. Dogs. Discrimination. Meeooowwwww!

Attachments

• Donatello.jpg
    Donatello.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 33
There is no excuse for a poorly trained dog in this modern electronic world. As a lover of well behaved dogs I have had many and all were well behaved. I use what many refer to as "shock collars" and have only had to shock a dog one time for them to learn what "NO" really means. Generally use the alarm function as a reminder of who is master. Any owner that keeps a dog poorly trained is the one at fault, not the dog.

There is no excuse for a poorly trained dog in this modern electronic world. As a lover of well behaved dogs I have had many and all were well behaved. I use what many refer to as "shock collars" and have only had to shock a dog one time for them to learn what "NO" really means. Generally use the alarm function as a reminder of who is master. Any owner that keeps a dog poorly trained is the one at fault, not the dog.

While I understand where you are coming from I have to disagree with your generalization.

We only take in rescued dogs. With one exception we have never had a puppy that we could train from young.

Many people like us rescue dogs, and some focus on rescuing and fostering very old dogs to give them some enjoyment in their later days.

Many of these rescues have had tough lives, with no or minimum training. Our current recue, who we have had since May, was two when we got her. She had previously been kept out back in an unfenced yard downtown Jacksonville and allowed to roam.

It takes a long long time to train a non-puppy rescue, and some of the older ones will never be trained to where they should be.

So I would be careful when you see a badly trained dog, it may not necessarily be the current owner's "fault."

As for shock collars, not in this house.

I just realized that my original post in this thread lacked pictures. So here are a few of Xander relaxing on the boat.

Attachments

• IMG_20200607_140719.jpg
    IMG_20200607_140719.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20201003_145509.jpg
    IMG_20201003_145509.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20201018_200212454.jpg
    PXL_20201018_200212454.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20200628_114546.jpg
    IMG_20200628_114546.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 15
While I understand where you are coming from I have to disagree with your generalization.

We only take in rescued dogs. With one exception we have never had a puppy that we could train from young.

Many people like us rescue dogs, and some focus on rescuing and fostering very old dogs to give them some enjoyment in their later days.

Many of these rescues have had tough lives, with no or minimum training. Our current rescue, who we have had since May, was two when we got her. She had previously been kept out back in an unfenced yard downtown Jacksonville and allowed to roam.

It takes a long long time to train a non-puppy rescue, and some of the older ones will never be trained to where they should be.

So I would be careful when you see a badly trained dog, it may not necessarily be the current owner's "fault."

As for shock collars, not in this house.

I agree totally with your thoughts and in fact “rescued” two of my last 4 dogs. One was easier to “retrain” then the other and they both became very well behaved and as I said earlier I used a “shock collar” too. Too many people use them improperly and shock too often or inappropriately. Teaching a dog who is master does not mean shocking them into submission, it means stopping behavior that is dangerous. Training a dog must have rewards and affirmation when they behave correctly. And I do agree that there are dogs that can not be trained as well as is desired.

Last edited:
I was, years ago, a qualified Instructor with the German Shepherd Dog League, Obedience Training Group. Not sure what others learnt from me, but I learnt a lot.
I`m not keen on the shock collar either. That said, we had one dog which barked endlessly when we were out, and we utilised "Bark Busters" who have/had robust aversion training method,but not using a shock collar.
Training communications can be negative and positive. You have to tell the dog, verbally, like "No, bad dog" when it`s wrong, and "Good dog" with lots of praise when they get it right.That`s how they learn. They want to please you and they get it.
Obedience has practical uses. I was able to tell one dog, at a distance, to "drop and stay",thereby keeping him out of potential trouble which loomed.
All but one of my dogs were "rescues",usually from within the GSDL.

Last edited:
We always take our two Labrador Retrievers in our summer cruises. We take them to land twice a day or more, often for long, exploration walks.

They seem to enjoy the boating life, swimming, walks, being around people, sleeping, ...

But Labs do love water.

Back
Top Bottom