Old 09-09-2020, 05:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Sahuarita, AZ
Sea dogs

For those who liveaboard with dogs, are they pretty happy? What about when you’re out to sea? How do they manage to get enough exercise? What advice and tips do you have for others? Safety tips as well as other/general advice, please.

Louis and Lola say, “Thanks!”

Donny Bahama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:07 AM   #2
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
I haven't lived aboard with a dog, but I've boated with dogs for most of my life. It really depends on the dog. Some are perfectly happy on the boat and fine with having periods of not being able to go walk around much. Others need more space and activity to be happy.

rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:11 AM   #3
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I just met a cat who did the Great Loop with his owners. He was barely a kitten when he moved aboard the boat. Now 18 months later I have never seen such a well adjusted animal, friendly, not afraid of the water, goes onto other boats, walks down the dock alone, etc.

Are dogs any different than cats? I don't know

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:39 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
There are many, many dogs out on the water in marina's, anchorages and mooring fields. Having had dogs, I fully understand that they are a member of the family. I would urge everyone to consider how much their beloved family member barks. This can be a sign of stress or anxiety. Many bark endlessly when the kids are in the water.

If you're dog barks non-stop they are probably not happy. OR, if they are just very vocal, consider that you're need to have a dog is becoming a burden to the rest of us.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:47 AM   #5
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
I would never have an animal confined to a boat with me, but that is just me. I have very fond memories of daily playing with a well adjusted Dutch barge dog (Schipperke) on a friend's trawler when I lived aboard my petless trawler, but when it came time to consider my granddaughter's spoiled year old golden retriever coming aboard my Pilot with its screaming turbo-equipped Yanmar under our feet for even just an hour run in the bay, I nixed the idea as cruel to the animal.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:21 AM   #6
Guru

City: Gulf Islands
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
We are heading to the boat today and our boxer is raring to go. He does not like rough water but would rather be with us than left at home. Surprisingly, he is content in the dingy even though it rocks more than the boat.
He prefers to take bathroom breaks on shore.
Soo-Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Sahuarita, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
There are many, many dogs out on the water in marina's, anchorages and mooring fields. Having had dogs, I fully understand that they are a member of the family. I would urge everyone to consider how much their beloved family member barks. This can be a sign of stress or anxiety. Many bark endlessly when the kids are in the water.

If you're dog barks non-stop they are probably not happy. OR, if they are just very vocal, consider that you're need to have a dog is becoming a burden to the rest of us.
People who have dogs that bark too much are people who shouldn’t have dogs. Our dogs are both service animals and very well-trained. We take our responsibility to have well-behaved dogs very seriously.
Donny Bahama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:54 AM   #8
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Growing up, we had a golden that was great on the boat. She'd get a little nervous running up on plane sometimes, but other than that, pretty much a perfect boat dog.

Our current standard poodle isn't quite as perfect in some ways (mostly not as calm), but he doesn't mind being under way at all, at any speed, even if it's a little rough out. He does wear sneakers to keep him from sliding, which seems to help his comfort level a lot (he can balance better when he doesn't slip on the decks). He just likes watching the scenery go by. And he thinks jetskis are the coolest thing ever to watch. And being on the boat and balancing burns enough energy that he's usually fairly tired at the end of the day and doesn't seem interested in doing anything high energy like he would at the house in the evening. We've yet to take him on any long trips on the boat though.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 03:33 PM   #9

City: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bahama View Post
People who have dogs that bark too much are people who shouldn’t have dogs. Our dogs are both service animals and very well-trained. We take our responsibility to have well-behaved dogs very seriously.
Agreed. But that doesn't stop people from doing what they want. I love animals but I don't tolerate untrained dogs who aren't well behaved. It's really the owner that I don't tolerate.
Swfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:19 PM   #10

City: Stuart, Fl
Quote:
Donny,
What type of service animals do you have, and for what services?
Yachtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:29 PM   #11
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
The longest we have been aboard with our black lab, Radar, was 45 days. He absolutely loved the trip and the boat. He would want to get off as soon as we had 2 lines on the dock. He would find the first green sprig of anything and drown it very quickly. When he was done with his business I would tell him to go to the boat. Keep in mind we were in a new marina almost every night. He would take off and lead me unerringly to the boat the first time. Amazing how he knew where the boat was. He really liked going through the up locks on the TSW in Canada. The lock masters would give him treats as we surfaced above the locks. It got to when the boat would start to lift in the lock, he would start drooling. We would try to walk him as much as possible. Overall he seems to love the boat and loves to be close to us so it works out well.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachtman View Post
Donny,
What type of service animals do you have, and for what services?
While individuals differ in how they feel about it and may readily answer, from what I’ve read and discussed with some owners of service animals, it is generally considered rude and an invasion of privacy to ask strangers what their animal does. Most people wouldn’t like it if a stranger walked up to them and asked to see their medical history.
Porgy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:43 AM   #13
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I have a Lab and always had Labs. For exercise, she swims when we're anchored. I have a ramp attached to the swim platform that allows her to get out of the water on her own. I'm usually anchored in very rural or wild places. My dog will swim to the shore on her own to take care of business. Sometimes I throw a ball, her favorite activity. And sometimes we hike depending on the tide, terrain and bears. She has figured out to leave the bears alone.
We liveaboard and the boat is my dog's life. She probably prefers the land, but seems happy on the boat.
At sea I keep her in the cabin unless she's got to go. Then I keep an eye on her. The bottom two rails have netting or canvas, so it would be hard for her to fall overboard.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:51 AM   #14
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
For those who liveaboard with dogs, are they pretty happy? What about when you’re out to sea? How do they manage to get enough exercise? What advice and tips do you have for others? Safety tips as well as other/general advice, please.

Louis and Lola say, “Thanks!”
Have a read of Sian's post on Grace's final cruise.

Cruising with An Elderly Dog | AtAnchor.com

And on trying to get her to go on the boat!

http://atanchor.com/the-worlds-best-...boat-training/
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:13 AM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porgy View Post
While individuals differ in how they feel about it and may readily answer, from what I’ve read and discussed with some owners of service animals, it is generally considered rude and an invasion of privacy to ask strangers what their animal does. Most people wouldn’t like it if a stranger walked up to them and asked to see their medical history.
It is worth mentioning that there is a difference between a "Service Dog" and a "Emotional Support Dog"/"Therapy Dog". Unfortunately, in the last few years many people have been getting "ESA" certifications then attempting to pass there ESA dog as a "Service Dog". They ARE NOT the same thing.

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) prohibits a business from asking about your disability, or to request certification, identification, or other proof of your animal’s training or status. If it is not apparent what your service animal does, the establishment may ask you only whether it is a service animal, and what tasks it performs for you.

ESA dogs are not legally granted the same privileges as Service Dogs. They are often granted the same privileges as a result of misunderstanding the difference.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:34 PM   #16

City: St Augustine
Vessel Name: Agape
Vessel Model: Mainship 400 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
It is worth mentioning that there is a difference between a "Service Dog" and a "Emotional Support Dog"/"Therapy Dog". Unfortunately, in the last few years many people have been getting "ESA" certifications then attempting to pass there ESA dog as a "Service Dog". They ARE NOT the same thing.

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) prohibits a business from asking about your disability, or to request certification, identification, or other proof of your animal’s training or status. If it is not apparent what your service animal does, the establishment may ask you only whether it is a service animal, and what tasks it performs for you.

ESA dogs are not legally granted the same privileges as Service Dogs. They are often granted the same privileges as a result of misunderstanding the difference.
Fly on a plane lately? Everyone has a "service dog."
Pmcsurf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:41 PM   #17
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Here is Radar, the black lab, asleep while we were cruising on our boat last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	573E42A7-4E83-4345-BB43-F4087861E538.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	107975  
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:44 PM   #18

City: Stuart, Fl
For those that read the reply I just deleted, I felt it was too much.
My apologies go out to anyone who felt I was being rude to Donnie.
Donnie, If you read it, I’d appreciate a pm to let me know how ‘you’ felt, regardless of how. If not, that’s ok too.
Yachtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:06 PM   #19

City: St Augustine
Vessel Name: Agape
Vessel Model: Mainship 400 Trawler
These are the two things my dog does best.
Sleep and sleep. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200906_140352.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	107977Click image for larger version

Name:	20200916_165011.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	107978
Pmcsurf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:58 AM   #20

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
My Yorksie loves all three boats (Trawler, go-fast, and dingy) has never shown the slightest sign of worry no matter what the conditions, as well as being happy to go on other people’s boats.

Lots of dog/boat pictures on her Facebook page https://Facebook.com/Yorksie.robbins5

Dogs are misbehaved because of their owners.... just sayin

SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote